Training my dog to lay on me, any advice/tips?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 8:48 pm

My old dog died on monday and I am very sad about it. Coinciding with this, I have been needing a lot more tightness and pressure lately, and we can't afford a weighted blanket. I am hoping to get social security so that should help. But in the mean time, I am trying to get my other dog, to lay on me. It isn't enough pressure, but it helps. So far she's done it on the couch. she gets up and I have popcorn. I say "Up." and bring the popcorn up, and then I say "Lay on me." Or "Lay on me Phoebe." and she lays on me. We literally just started doing this and worked on it for my than half an hour.

If she isn't already kind of on me she won't do it. also, I can't figure out how to get her to just do it in general. as in, i'm on the bed or the floor and she is elsewhere I say "Lay on me." and she comes and doesit. any ideas? and as she got more tired she started woofing for her treats and getting lazy and just putting a paw on me. she also started jumping the gun, where I would say "up." to get her to not lay on me, she go up, and promptly lay on me before I said the key word.

I could use tips and advice please.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2010, 10:02 pm

I am sorry about your old dog.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 1:38 am

blastoff wrote:
I am sorry about your old dog.

Thank you. I meant old as in she was an old old doggy. :( It has eben very hard and i'm trying to keep as busy as possible.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 10:43 am

Sorry to hear about your dog dying - losing a pet is really tough. I hope you feel better soon :)

pixxie69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2010, 8:44 pm

Sorry about your old dog.

If your dog does lie on you on the couch after just some training, you are on the right way. It's all just training and patience. But it's not normal behavior for your dog so give her some "time out", too, when you notice that she gets tired. Woofing and jumping can (not must) be an expression for confusion/overload. So you have to increase the time slowly.
btw what kind of dog do you have?
The popcorn is natural, not salted/sugared, I hope?
/

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 9:00 pm

Put a steak on your lap.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 9:27 pm

I'm also sorry to hear about your old dog. :(

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 10:32 pm

Yeah my condolences about the older dog- that is always so sad! It may be difficult to get the younger dog to lay on you if she has been scolded for it in the past. A lot of people don't let them lay on them- maybe someone in your family has discouraged it previously. My dog just lays on me LOL. She loves me so much she just does it so there was no training. I don't have that thing about needing the pressure though. I let her lay on my legs or right next to me. She is a medium sized dog and a bit heavy for that though.

Reward her when she does what you want and she will learn it.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 10:48 pm

Do you normally allow her on the furniture? We don't allow our dog on the couch unless one of us his holding him, and that was very confusing for him at first -- sort of "am I allowed up here or not?" He's adjusted to it now, and will lie back against whomever is holding him and kiss our hands and faces, even fall alseep in my lap! If your dog is not used to being up on the furniture, she may be confused as to why you suddenly want her up there. You could try lying on the floor until she's more used to lying on you, then move to the couch or bed or wherever. If she's still got puppy energy, though, lying on you for a long time may be very hard on her!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 10:50 pm

Give him a cookie, every time he lies on top of you.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 1:20 am

Thanks guys. The popcorn is plain airpopped with no sugar or salt. She is allowed on the furniture, except for chairs (because she'll climb on the table and eat things. Naughty dog!) She's a medium sized cocker spaniel.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 7:09 am

Hi ShadesofMe, my deepest condolences with regards to your precious puppy that grew up too fast and passed away too soon. :(

Your reference to needing more weight and pressure takes me all the way back
to when I was fixated on my 'Hug Machine' idea. (remember that, or ignored it? :oops: )
It was a moment in time that I don't need anymore,
but it was really helpful, when I needed it.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp814954. ... ht=#814954

Only read lelia's posts! She is the only one that contributed usefully.

Oh My God ! 8O I just reread it! :oops:
I've been a nutjob on here since Day 1 ! :oops:
I even pre-empted Strapples spamming craziness! :roll: