Which Wild Thing is your favorite? :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 4:05 pm

I've gotten back into Where the Wild Things Are (the Spike Jonze movie more than the book, lol) and I was just wondering if anyone else likes the Wild Things, too...there are seven main Wild Things all together, and they each represent their own spectrum of emotions....

Carol - one of my favorites! :D Carol (known as "Moishe" in the book and as a plush toy) is sort of the default leader of the Wild Things, until Max shows up and announces himself as their "king," that is. Carol is plump, striped, impulsive, childlike and very affectionate, and tends to get angry easily when things don't work out the way he thinks they should (his girlfriend KW staying away for extended periods of time, their "fort" not turning out right, etc). Simply put, he's sort of the "little kid in a grown body" type; and that's kind of why I find him endearing. :D

Douglas - Douglas is a rooster-like creature, and pretty much what TV Tropes would describe as "The Only Sane Man" out of the seven Wild Things (although I've just checked and strangely enough, he actually isn't. :shrug: ) He's a mature father figure and voice of reason for the rest of the creatures (mostly to Carol, who counts Douglas as his best friend), but acts as Carol's yes-man just as often.

Judith - Now, I gotta say....I really don't understand why I like Judith as much as I do (since I'm actually closer to KW in terms of temperament/behaviors) since she tends to be pessimistic, jealous and manipulative, but when you catch her in the right mood, she's actually a lot of fun. She kind of reminds me of my stepmother that way. I think part of it is because I kind of feel for Judith...if you watch her carefully in the movie, you can tell that she actually used to be more trusting, more affectionate and more open to new ideas....it makes me wonder what happened to her to change her so drastically. Back to my stepmother comment - could my attachment to Judith sort of be related to my longing to know what makes my stepmother tick? I have to think about that..... :scratch:

Ira - Judith's boyfriend, and another one of my favorite Wild Things...he's just really sweet, this guy...he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's a really good friend to everybody and tries to make everyone feel better (there's a really cute scene where he and Max share a hug, and when he tells Alexander "count to ten, things will get better..."). And like Douglas does with Carol, Ira tends to go along with whatever Judith wants to do. :lol:

Alexander - Alexander is a small, goat-like Wild Thing who is arguably the youngest of them all. He often feels ignored and unheard, and is sort of Ira and Judith's "surrogate child."

KW - Probably the Wild Thing I have the most in common with - another of my favorites. KW is sort of a mama-bear/big sister figure to Max...she gets to know him better than the others (except Carol) do, and she spares him of the worst of Carol and Judith's rants. She also tends to be a loner and goes off to spend time with her other friends a lot. She and Carol also seem to have a relationship going on, which is strained due to Carol's volatility.

Daniel/The Bull - Daniel is a bull-like creature with human feet who stays silent for most of the film, except for some humming and moaning noises. He's on the fringes of the group even more than Alexander is, and the other creatures seem leery of him, whenever he shows up. He appears to be mostly observing things, rather than participating.

Well, I think that's all of them...I think my favorite Wild Things are probably Carol, KW, Ira and Judith....anyone else have a favorite/one they relate to/have any thoughts on them? :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 3:25 am

Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are is a very good movie. :) Judith is my favorite too, though that's probably because I tend to gravitate towards aggressive female characters in general.

On a semi-related note, I find it amusing that two of the Wild Things are named Daniel and Alexander, because those are the names of the primary characters in one of my special interests, Amnesia: The Dark Descent! :D