What do you Grow?? The Garden Thread

Page 5 of 28 [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 8:31 am

Not yet: but now I know it grows in our climate I’m up for giving it a go.

Btw @amity: just realised I left you off a hugs post I made earlier.
Consider yourself hugged :D

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 8:43 am

^Ah I'm pure awkward about hugs, thank you lol.

The cabbage white caterpillar loves the leaves, have seen plants stripped overnight, only way ive managed them is by hand picking them off on a daily basis. The butterflies seem to prefer them to the decoy nasturtiums.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2020, 9:59 am

^ me too!
It really freaked me out when my dad retired, chilled out, and decided that he does hugs! :lol:
Nice though.

Hmmm... may have to buy some netting for them if I want my wife to accede to the idea then :idea: :wink:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 5:38 pm

I was sent to Tractor Supply on an errand and there were dormant roses bushes out front. I succumbed to temptation and bought one that is supposed to be fragrant and white. I have no idea where to put it.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 5:40 pm

What variety is it?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2020, 8:57 pm

It's called Sea Foam. I googled it and it is an Earth Kind rose from the early 60s, a shrub rose. The label said it was fragrant, but the websites think not so much. I think it is supposed to be relatively disease resistant and not need a lot of spraying.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 4:49 am

Just did a bit of checking up on it: “lightly fragrant” was the phrase that cropped up (so maybe a crisper, less musky scent).
It’s described as a scrambling shrub, so I’m imagining a growth habit like Holy Rose of Abyssinia: one of which I planted in my parents garden.
Full sun and if you can put it at the top of a small wall for it to flop it’s long, delicate canes over that’ll look lovely, and avoid irritation when it doesn’t hold itself up higher than 2-3 foot. :D
It should be evergreen in your climate too. :D

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2020, 8:51 am

Sea foam rose... so sweet, love the flowers, its named perfectly, can imagine them moving with the wind.
I like the older roses too, something quite simple but yet still so attractive.
Love moss roses, their scent just does it for me, in a deep burgandy/aubergine, reminds me of older gardens and lovely memories.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 10:06 am

Karamazov wrote:
Just did a bit of checking up on it: “lightly fragrant” was the phrase that cropped up (so maybe a crisper, less musky scent).
It’s described as a scrambling shrub, so I’m imagining a growth habit like Holy Rose of Abyssinia: one of which I planted in my parents garden.
Full sun and if you can put it at the top of a small wall for it to flop it’s long, delicate canes over that’ll look lovely, and avoid irritation when it doesn’t hold itself up higher than 2-3 foot. :D
It should be evergreen in your climate too. :D

So, the description "lightly fragrant" means the fragrance itself is "light."?? I was thinking it meant it had only a slight scent.

The problem with putting it on a low wall, means you have to have a garden wall, which I don't have. I can put it up on a downed log, from the hurricane we have some that are about 2 feet tall. But what are you using for soil? Or are you suggesting it go into pot that is put on a wall/log/something higher?

Or, I could build up a bed just for this rose, a raised bed with a "wall" going all the way around. I did this for some irises that are "weeping."

Amity, I'm glad I picked one that you liked. :D

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 11:23 am

^ Could be either on the scent to be honest: but you have the excitement of discovery to look forward to on that one! :D

Ah... I meant it’s growth will most likely only go up 2-3 feet, and then trail and flop across the ground.
At the top of a little wall was where I planted a different rose with a similar growth habit, in a garden that was terraced down to a river: just a memory/suggestion of a siting that worked really well. :)
I wouldn’t put roses in pots myself: they’re too nutrient hungry!
A big planter might work though... and have the height in itself for the canes to hang down like a mop of flowery hair. :)
But if you have the space for a Rose to romp across the ground for a few feet in every direction and you like the idea: go for that! :D

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 12:06 pm

I help other people with their veg patches but I'm limited to growing nasturtiums and sweetpeas outside in pots.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 12:10 pm

^ at least you’ve got lots of colours and a lovely scent with them. :D
Are you working with very confined space then?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 9:05 pm

^ I've got lots of room, but its difficult to juggle what plants need. Full sun in Florida is way hotter and more intense than full sun in other areas of the world. A lot of plants that supposedly want full sun, do not like full Florida sun, especially in the afternoons.

Basically, I got the rose on impulse having had the conversations here. :-)

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 9:07 pm

domineekee wrote:
I help other people with their veg patches but I'm limited to growing nasturtiums and sweetpeas outside in pots.

Do you eat the nasturtiums? I haven't had much luck growing them because it is too hot. However, I am trying two varieties this year, one bred for hanging baskets and the other for eating in salads.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 4:41 am

:lol: Good point! :lol:
If the RHS say full sun assuming Britain, then that probably translates as partial shade for Florida! :D

Robert312
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2020, 10:15 am

I'm into growing carnivorous plants: Venus Fly Traps, Sundews, and Pitcher plants. I have numerous houseplants including bonsais. I grow a vegetable garden every year. I already have some seedlings started.