Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2009, 12:59 pm

Anyone else feel that earthquake? I'm in San Francisco and I just felt it. It was a magnitude 4.3 and centered 11 miles north of Morgan Hill at 10:40 am.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 1:02 pm

Unfortunately, I did not. I am usually quite sensitive to any minuscule tremors so I guess they just didnt reach us here in OC.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 1:26 pm

Nope, didn't feel it all the way out in Indiana. We did get two fairly large ones for our area, though, last year. They started I believe in Salem, IL or something like that. We typically do not get any earth quakes or anything, but I know I've felt three total here (the other was in fall 2004).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 4:41 pm

Eire wrote:
Anyone else feel that earthquake? I'm in San Francisco and I just felt it. It was a magnitude 4.3 and centered 11 miles north of Morgan Hill at 10:40 am.

Relax. It is not "the big one".

ruveyn

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 4:56 pm

I was working on my car and thought it was just a 'senior moment'. Thanks for the update.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2009, 5:07 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Eire wrote:

Relax. It is not "the big one".

ruveyn

I am aware. I have already lived through a "big one".

Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 8:16 pm

there was a 2.9 one here this morning

i hardly felt it, i was at work.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 9:27 pm

I've been in an earthquake in 2001. It was the one that was a 6.8 and caused some damage in Washington State. I remember it clearly, I was in biology class trying to hand in an assignment and I thought I was just dizzy. Then everyone had to get under their desks and at first I thought it was the "big one" that they have predicted for ages and thought I was going to die, but then I realized it wasn't and thought it was kind of weird. Anyone know the earthquake I am talking about? If you Google it, its called the "Nisqually Earthquake." That is the one I was in. How exciting! Apparently 400 people were injured in it according to Wikipedia. (I just checked it up).

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm

Some information about how to be prepared:

"...The best thing you can do for you and your family is be ready.

Kayla Holdin, a Yuma fire inspector says, "it's really easy to get prepared. You just need to make sure you have 72 hours of non-perishable food, water, prescription meds or even things for your pet."

The federal government has 72 hours to respond to an emergency, so until that point, it's up to you to be prepared. You can purchase an already made kit from the American Red Cross for $30.

Or if you're doing it yourself, include with your food and water, a first aid kit, a flashlight, and a radio for emergency signals.

The most important thing is to have the kit ready.

"I think they probably hear it a lot and think oh yeah I need to do that but never get around to doing it."

And along with the kit, if the big one hits, remember to "drop, cover and hold. Drop to the ground, cover yourself with a table, and then hold on, cover your eyes so you can protect your eyes."

Even with as often as we hear this information, many people still don't get their 72-hour kit ready. Make today the day you finally decide to do it, because who knows when an emergency could happen."

[source: http://www.kswt.com/Global/story.asp?S=10080768 ]