Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:17 am

I need a new haircut.

Last week, my mom asked me which haircut I would like to have, and I didn't know how to answer. . . I have the haircut image in my mind, but I didn't know how to explain it. Then my mom asked me for an image, so she could have an idea of what I want. . . maybe she would cut my hair, or she would get someone cut my hair, dunno. . .

Then, I watched Escape from New York (again :P ) and noticed Snake Plisskin's haircut (How I couldn't remind Snake's haircut before?). It's exactly what I want!! !

But I can't show my mom a pic of Snake. The real problem is. . . How can I tell my mom I want Snake's haircut, a male character? I've had problems with my mom in the past, about my non-feminine traits (way of thinking, my clothes, hobbies. . . ) and sometimes she has doubts about my sexual preferences. I'm not lesbian, I'm just a tomboy, is that so hard to understand?

Well, I need a photo/drawing of Snake's haircut in a woman. Can you help me?

If you don't know how Snake Plissken looks like, here are some pics:

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=191

http://www.lenswoman.com/gallery/film_escape.php

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 3:25 am

he has a longer hairstyle. It could easily be used for females also. I'd just show a pic anyway.

theman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: Oklahoma...... where the men are men and the sheep run scared.

07 Apr 2009, 3:53 am

Get the eye patch too if you can, lol that would look awesome.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:10 am

There's nothing wrong with what you propose. The style and length would look just fine for a girl. Be glad you won't be growing the beard though! In my experience, facial hair is an itchy, picky, high-maintenance nuisance that I'd sooner do without.

The question is, what do you want to do? How much of the decision of your hairstyle is coming from you and how much of it is coming from other people for whatever reason?

Looking back, I can remember when the issue of haircuts with me was played out as a dispute between my stepdad and dad, although I only figured this out long after the fact. My dad wanted me to get my hair cut short, and my stepdad opposed this on the grounds that I probably wanted to keep it long, although in retrospect this may have been just my stepdad's way to be oppositional. Add to that my own resistance to changing my appearance, even though other students my age made fun of me for being girly or looking ambiguous. If I were more self-aware and assertive at the time, I probably would have chosen to have my hair cut to short/medium length so it's closer to cultural norms and easier to clean and maintain, and ignore both my dad and stepdad!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 7:34 am

LOL ur 22 y is ur mom even in the issue of ur haircut?

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 8:12 am

I'm 35, and on occasion my mom still cuts my hair ( budget conscious). And if she does, she definitely wants some say in it. However, sometimes I have our roomate do it--- then I don't hafta worry about mom saying "well, you know what I think...". Last time, I got impatient and cut it myself... and I did alright. I actually cut it pretty even. So good luck with your hair.
Be careful of some salons--- the last time I splurged and had a "professional" do it, it was all uneven and I had to fix it at home later. Waste of my money.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 9:27 am

skahthic wrote:
Be careful of some salons--- the last time I splurged and had a "professional" do it, it was all uneven and I had to fix it at home later. Waste of my money.

Getting your haircut these days is as bad as going to the Dentist...I am not sure which is worse.

Choose a haircut that looks good on you with regards to your hair texture (thin, thick hair), wavy or straight...
Look at the models in Fashion magazines and others like Glamour which can give you an idea of some good styles. Then, search
for a good hair stylist. Gay men seem to cut womens' hair better than female stylists, too!

Best of luck to you!

RudolfsDad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2009, 10:33 am

You are 22. You are old enough to decide for yourself what kind of hair style you want. It's your decision and yours alone. Your mother has a right to offer her opinion, but she has no right to simply decide what hairstyle you want. It's YOUR head.

Would it be feasible for you to simply take a picture of Snake to a professional haircutter, show it to him/her, and say "I want that hairstyle"? Then, AFTER getting the hairstyle you want, show your mother your new hair. It's quite possible that she will like it once she sees it on you. Even if she hates it, though, it's not her decision. It's yours.

Detren
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2009, 10:36 am

I think that is called a feathered look. Shouldn't be too hard to find a picture of it on a female, pretty sure it was all the rage in the 80s.

I was wrong: 70s :D Try this link see if there is one in there that is close for you. feathered hairstyles

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 10:39 am

I think you should do whatever you want with your hair. Your 22, and your mom should respect you wishes. Show her the pick and let her deal with her own emotions, I know its hard to imagine but you may need ti just ignore her stupid comments :roll: (I do that all the time w/ my grandmother) :x .

The person before me said something about being careful w/ salons, this is true 8O ! I had my hair cut about a year ago at a salon and it was totally batched (destroyed) I asked for it layered around my shoulders and I was given a straight, two layered bob (yuck!) (I have annoyingly thick, fair, wavy/curly hair depending on the length). I had to have three haircuts within two days in all to correct it (turned out a lot shorter than I originally wanted it). I wanted something like what you wanted but layered (I have a thinner face so I wanted my hair to correct that). Growing it out still now (around shoulders again) 8).

The haircut you like looks great 8). Only advise I have otherwise is if your hair is textured or very straight (no offense but it may not work if you are of African or Asian descent) it may not work. (I do not know what you look like so I cannot guess how it will work out for you).

I am not trying to sound racist.

Good luck!

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 1:59 pm

Mods, can you move this topic to Random Discussion? Sorry, I was almost asleep when I wrote this :oops:

And yeah, I'm pathethic. I'm 22 and continue living with my parents.

The original idea was to shave my head, just for a change. But my mom got really mad when I told her. I just don't want to have problems now, because I'm planning to leave my parent's house and things must be "normal". . . well that's another story.

@theman: Yeah, a Snake crossplay would be great! :D

@Detren: Thanks. I'll search for "feathered look" then. Let me check that page. . .

@Peko: My hair is kinda wavy, and I'm Latin.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 2:19 pm

I think it's the same cut as Farrah Fawcett had in the seventies but without the blow dry. Basically, you're talking a feathered cut on wavy hair allowed to fall as it will, dried naturally.

Beaware that the same cut will not necessarilly look the same on you. He's relying on his natural waves to give it the "look" it has.

As a mom, I'd be fine with my daughter asking for that cut.

Although it wouldn't work on her like that, her hair is straight, very straight.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2009, 1:55 am

At the end, I made my mom left me alone in the salon, so I could choose my hairstyle. A gay man cut my hair, and he did a great job :)

Thanks to everyone for your answers and suggestions.

I have to sleep now. . . see ya!

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Apr 2009, 2:26 am

you want this haircut?

So show her this photo
http://www.delastars.com/wp-content/upl ... 00x400.jpg

The former things have passed away."

Jsmitheh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2009, 6:50 am

I always imagined having snakes hair, but my hair sucks and I cut it myself.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2009, 4:55 am

Everyone I know says my hair looks great!... but no one knows how I choose my hair style :P

I'll tell my mom someday, and maybe she will understand my "masculine" preferences.