Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2009, 1:43 pm

It feels like one long journey that has now come to an end.
Problem is, I don't want it to end!

From when I began researching autism 3 years ago, it has all been so exciteing.
But now I think I've read/watched everything there is :?
All there's left is when new topics come up here on WP. :(
Though those topics can be very good I feel that I need something more.

Anyone, Pleeeeease help me find some more stuff.
Post any good links you know about autism and aspergers.
It can be all from newsarticles to documentarys to "TV-shows" to jokes. Anything!
It just has to be good :wink:

Preferably videos, but text is very welcome too.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:25 pm

Well I just got into all of this, so I don't know what's old to you. :B
Buuut in my experience, when you run out of material in an area, you can always try to add some of your own. Maybe you could come up with a questionnaire or a test or even a larger experiment. Since you have absorbed so much info on the subject, you have the ability to use that knowledge to come up with something new that might further understanding of ASD, even if it's not perfectly scientific.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2009, 2:29 pm

Thanks. But that's not really my strong side. :?
As I was trying to say, post anything!... I can just leave it if I've already read it.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:46 pm

Have you read books, or just articles and stuff on the Internet? I've seen a lot of books on the subject, especially in the parenting section of Barnes and Noble. (Maybe because it's right next to the art section so I walk past it often, heh. Maybe the self help section would have some, too. Or the, er... the section with all the sort of political and social books) I haven't read any of them though.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2009, 3:41 pm

I've mostly read articles and watched videos (youtube etc.)...
Now, I don't go to a library very often, so I don't think I will be able to grab any books lately.
And I would prefer them in english, and this can get hard to come by, when I live in Denmark.

Maybe if you know the names I can try looking some of them up.

I've already read Kanner's and Asperger's books, cause they were available for free download.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 3:52 pm

TheSpecialKid wrote:
As I was trying to say, post anything!... I can just leave it if I've already read it.

My special interests usually wax and wane. I just went through the end of my photography special interest which lasted about 4 years. It was great while it lasted, but I will say that it did end just in time. I recently discovered I needed to replace my indoor AND outdoor air units at my house, as well as the compressor in my wife's car. So the extra money I was able to make by selling my photography equipment really came in handy. Though I only made back about 1/4 of what I originally invested in it due to the constantly progressing nature of digital photography equipment.

But anyway I recently also saw my AS special interest begin to wane again and that lasted for a while. I was afraid that I was going to fall out of it entirely, but it suddenly came back on somewhat though it's not like it was before. And like you, I'm looking for videos to keep me going. I feel I've read everything out there, but new, fresh videos are always exciting. Even just videos of people with AS talking are interesting to me because I can look for patterns in the way they talk and compare them to how I talk.

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2009, 3:56 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
TheSpecialKid wrote:

My special interests usually wax and wane. I just went through the end of my photography special interest which lasted about 4 years. It was great while it lasted, but I will say that it did end just in time. I recently discovered I needed to replace my indoor AND outdoor air units at my house, as well as the compressor in my wife's car. So the extra money I was able to make by selling my photography equipment really came in handy. Though I only made back about 1/4 of what I originally invested in it due to the constantly progressing nature of digital photography equipment.

But anyway I recently also saw my AS special interest begin to wane again and that lasted for a while. I was afraid that I was going to fall out of it entirely, but it suddenly came back on somewhat though it's not like it was before. And like you, I'm looking for videos to keep me going. I feel I've read everything out there, but new, fresh videos are always exciting. Even just videos of people with AS talking are interesting to me because I can look for patterns in the way they talk and compare them to how I talk.

Exactly!... yay!... Tell me if you find anything good :D

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 4:00 pm

Well you could get on amazon and search for "autism" and "asperger's" and just read reviews to choose a book. :3 That usually works pretty well.

Oh and yeah, have you watched this woman's videos? http://www.youtube.com/user/silentmiaow I found them the most interesting thing so far in my short time investigating autism.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 7:47 pm

Go
Go
Go
...Go search.

[edit] fyi - Those are links.

Last edited by Asmodeus on 28 Apr 2009, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:12 pm

I know exactly how you feel. I try to learn as much as I can about an obsession I develop, and once I've learned every single little thing and see there's nothing new out there, I move on to something else, and I sometimes eventually come back to that obsession a few years later. I don't do that with all of them though.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:43 pm

I'm in the same boat. Autism is my special interest too. Have you read ALL of Tony Attwood's books? By the time you're done, you could practically call yourself an expert :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!