Do guns, cigarettes and speed kill?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RetNet56
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2010, 4:59 pm

Do guns, cigarettes and speed kill? Or do people who fool around with them kill?

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 5:01 pm

guns- kill, because the person fooling around with it can kill ANOTHER person who wasn't fooling with it
cigarettes-yes even if your not the one smoking it, it can kill you from second hand smoke
speed-If your driving super fast and run into a tree it can kill the person fooling around, but you can also hit an innocent bystander

so both.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 5:05 pm

I thought that the OP were talking about amphetamines.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 6:32 pm

A lack of control is what kills in the case of two of them.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm

Answer: None of those three things can hurt or kill anyone. People who smoke in public will slowly and surely kill those around them, and themselves of course. For a more direct and dramatic kill, people who use speed or other drugs while handling such things a guns or cars, will kill people sooner. Same goes for people who are not disciplined or trained to handle guns or cars. I have cars, knives, and guns, and none has ever hurt or killed anyone, and never will. I don't smoke, and I don't take drugs, and I handle all machines (including my guns and cars), very responsibly as all such owners should.

Charles

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm

I think that it's the responsibility level of the person, who'd messing or dealing with those three things.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 11:33 pm

I take amphetamines for my ADHD during school. I doubt that will kill me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 11:34 pm

"Gun don't kill, people with them do" is just an excuse for gun owners who want keep having laws about having guns.

I think people saying guns and cigarettes don't kill and speeding only want an excuse.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 5:45 am

They do if you throw them hard enough.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 5:53 am

You can't really compare guns to cigarettes. One is a weapon and the other contains an addicting substance. (which does indeed kill) Cigarettes aren't a weapon and guns don't contain nicotine.

Though guns are, in general, used for self defense. They save lives in America because people are going to carry them no matter what. So it's better than everybody carries them than just the criminals you know?

I think what you're talking about is a chicken-and-egg riddle which depends on your philosophical outlook.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 5:56 am

TheHaywire wrote:
So it's better than everybody carries [guns] than just the criminals you know?

That is an arm race. I need a bigger weapon to outmatch the other opposition. This is a dangerous cycle to get into.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 6:01 am

It's our constitutional right as Americans though. How many people are going to give it up? Gun laws don't work. Criminals will carry them no matter what. Should we let ourselves get killed?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 7:38 am

RetNet56 wrote:
Do guns, cigarettes and speed kill? Or do people who fool around with them kill?

Guns and cigarettes (along with all other weapons and drugs) will kill you by nature and design.

People who fool around with speed (as in how fast something's going, not the drug) will die, but people who drive fast on open clear roads carefully are often fine.

TheHaywire wrote:
It's our constitutional right as Americans though. How many people are going to give it up? Gun laws don't work. Criminals will carry them no matter what. Should we let ourselves get killed?

Here in the UK we have strict gun control and low gun crime. Hmm.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 7:50 am

Asp-Z,

I bet if you do some digging, you'll find that homicides and violent assaults don't really change in number, rather, the method used does. If a firearm is easily obtained, of course an individual wanting to kill someone will use one. If they aren't, they'll then resort to another method that's equally effective. Hence, laws that prohibit the ownership of weapons (I'll include bows and other projectile weapons here) for non-violent individuals are actually moot in effect.

Firearms are a weapon, that the user wields to kill or inflict grievous bodily harm; just like any weapon or not. Fists kill in the same way.

"Everything" can kill when wielded or not.

The same goes for any substance, energy transfer, a fatal change of velocity, and whatnot.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 7:56 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Asp-Z,

I bet if you do some digging, you'll find that homicides and violent assaults don't really change in number, rather, the method used does. If a firearm is easily obtained, of course an individual wanting to kill someone will use one. If they aren't, they'll then resort to another method that's equally effective. Hence, laws that prohibit the ownership of weapons (I'll include bows and other projectile weapons here) for non-violent individuals are actually moot in effect.

Firearms are a weapon, that the user wields to kill or inflict grievous bodily harm; just like any weapon or not. Fists kill in the same way.

"Everything" can kill when wielded or not.

The same goes for any substance, energy transfer, a fatal change of velocity, and whatnot.

Of course there's still homicides and the like, there's crime everywhere (except Monaco :P), that's an unavoidable fact.

However, if someone points a knife at you, it's possible to fight that person if you know what you're doing, or at least run away if you don't. But with a gun, the criminal will just shoot you if you do anything - there's no fighting back. EVEN IF YOU HAVE A GUN AS WELL, the criminal can shoot you as soon as you put your hand in your pocket.

Why would a non-violent person buy a weapon? If you're going to say recreational purposes - target practice or whatever - you don't need a loaded gun with real bullets for recreation any more than you need a machete to cut a loaf of bread.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 7:58 am

Taking away projectiles will not remove crime, which is why people want to remove them in the first place. I think Daniel was saying this.