Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wut arr yer thots on Inglish speling reform?
Itz gud. 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Itz bad. 73%  73%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 15

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2015, 1:49 am

English spelling is difficult for non-natives because you already need to know the pronunciation of a word because they are not written as non-phonetically as possible.
- through
- though
- tough

eh?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2015, 12:59 am

unlike other languages, some european in origin as well, english has no central 'regulating body', its not as cohesive. i may be missing something but there's no real equivalent to french's Académie Française and hebrew's הָאָקָדֶמְיָה לַלָּשׁוֹן הָעִבְרִית from which to set common orthographic/lexical standards, etc.

(funny. one of the jobs of hebrew's regulating body is to replace loanwords, but אָקָדֶמְיָה is itself a loanword.)

one of the reason's english spelling is so eff-d up is because of orthographic/writing conservatism, keeping the spellings of words the same even when their pronunciations have changed and moved all over the place. because writing is permanent, and clearly changes more slowly than speech there is inconsistency. think we could recognize "photo" from "photography" if they were spelled exactly the way they were pronounced?? :idea:

@trollcatman - hebrew has that same issue i think, maybe because of what i just said, and also because vowel notation is secondary and unless one uses the nekudot (like in the hebrew text above) the only way is to use the mater lectionis,...certain consonants that can also be used to represent a vowel. nekudot is most often used in children's books and leaning materials for students of hebrew.

Quote:
As is the norm for linguistic rules, the rules for spelling without niqqud are not entirely static. Changes occur from time to time, based on amassed experience. For example: originally the rules for spelling without niqqud dictated that "אשה" ("woman") should be written without a י (to distinguish it from "אישה" – "her husband"), but currently this exception has been removed, and now the Academy prefers "אישה". The last substantial change to the rules for the spelling without niqqud was made in 1993 updated in 1996.

and there are shorter words that don't use the vowel-leters or nekudot at all...like ספר which can mean 'sefer' (book, or as in sefer torah) and 'saper' or 'tell!'

OTOH..some hebrew homophones: 'et עט (pen) and 'et את, the direct object marker as seen in genesis 1.1 .

את can also signify 'at', the feminine singular version of 'you'. both 'et' and 'at can be found in the same sentence and, if no other vowel writing system is used, context makes all the difference, as in:

Quote:
את כותב את המכתב

can you figure it out?!?!

braindump :oops:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 12:45 pm

I really like etymology and the partially logographic quality it confers to writing systems.

Me encanta la etymología y el charácter parcialmente logográphico que confiere a los systemas de escritura. Si por mí fuera, por exemplo, el español se escriviría más o menos assí.

Soon after its creation, the Spanish Royal Academy made a point to differentiate itself from its French counterpart by simplifying Spanish orthography, making it almost purely phonetic, although it kept some letter pairs in complementary distribution (el juez, 'the judge'; los jueces, 'the judges'), which still add complexity, without holding any etymological content, and therefore being useless to recognize morphemes---in fact, they help obscure them.

Portuguese continued to use a French-like, very etymological orthography till the early 20th century. If I had my way, it'd have stayed like that, except for the addition of systematic rules for diacritics which would unambiguously mark word stress.

What I don't like at all is false etymologies. I wish we'd start writing iland again, as this Germanic word was spelled before someone decided to Latinize its appearance by sticking that intrusive s in there.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 1:23 am

there are meaningless words like "presh" and "blint" that sound as though they'd be english, but no meaning. i wonder about the words in other languages that are like this. like Yuleach for hebrew (though i don't know any better, it might be real).

that's gonçalves viana's reform? brazil led it's own orthographic reform started in 38 and finalized in 46 i think. with slight differences.

i agree - i like "island" better. unrelated to "isle". "scissors" is spelled that way because of a mistaken belief it came from scindere instead of cisorium. and now wer have poeple saying "where are the skissors/zizzers"?

scythe too.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 1:42 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Quote:
את כותב את המכתב

Actually, I think THIS sentence might be more grammatically correct, though I might be wrong since my Hebrew is rusty:

.את כותבת את המכתב

Sorry, I've got a bit of a grammar cop in me. ;P

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2015, 4:28 am

Anyone remember who said this:

Quote:
English is a simple, but difficult language. It consists entirely of mispronounced foreign words.

Fill the cauldron with half Ye Olde Germanic Anglo-Saxon and half Norman French, spice it up with smatterings of other languages, stew on a low flame for a millenium - yummy! I love it just the way it is.

Since it appears that a few cunning-linguist geeks are assembled here, perhaps some might enjoy this "little" tirade
Against Intralingual Diversity (Not mine, can't remember where I found it, might have been somewhere on WP)

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 5:43 am

Any language consists entirely of mispronounced foreign words if you go back far enough through its history :)

Kiprobalhato wrote:
that's gonçalves viana's reform? brazil led it's own orthographic reform started in 38 and finalized in 46 i think. with slight differences.

I didn't remember names, but it is. Brazil has had a different orthography from the rest of the Portuguese-speaking world ever since. An attempt is still being made to unify them with the Acordo Ortográfico from 1990.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 12:53 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Any language consists entirely of mispronounced foreign words if you go back far enough through its history :)

and mistaken etymologies...don't forget that. :)

LonelyJar wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Quote:
את כותב את המכתב

Actually, I think THIS sentence might be more grammatically correct, though I might be wrong since my Hebrew is rusty:

.את כותבת את המכתב

Sorry, I've got a bit of a grammar cop in me. ;P

one of us is female?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 5:20 pm

Thirty-years ago, I attended a Vegas show with a comedian who said, 'England invented the English Language, the Americans screwed it up!'

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 5:15 pm

I have always been an outstanding speller. If spelling reform came into existence, it would be much more common for people to be good spellers, and there would be less of a demand for people with my talents to be editors. Therefore, I say no!