Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dutchy
Raven
Raven

14 Mar 2014, 6:09 pm

Hey everyone. I'm Dutch, but i love the whole Latin culture and music. And i was wondering, could anyone help me find some nice Spanish music? I'm not that familiar with all the Spanish artists. So i'm just curious which latin music do you like? Doesn't matter what genre. I'm always looking for some new songs on my ipod :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:24 pm

Latin music can be broken down further into tons of subgenres.

I like classic latin jazz (Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes, Antonio Jobim, etc)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm Dutch, but i love the whole Latin culture and music. And i was wondering, could anyone help me find some nice Spanish music? I'm not that familiar with all the Spanish artists. So i'm just curious which latin music do you like? Doesn't matter what genre. I'm always looking for some new songs on my ipod :)

I first thought that you were asking for literally latin music. I was going to recomend Arvo Part.

Anyway, I imagine you've already heard of Paco de Lucia. Al DiMeola has spanish influences too, I think.

As for Portuguese music, "fado" is a well apreciated style by many in other countries. One good example is Mariza's "Oh Gente da Minha Terra" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQrq7nLPHEw ); another good example _ in fact better _ is Carlos Paredes' "Verdes Anos" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkQhaXi0ACw ).

As for latin in the sense of south american music, I know little. I would recomend Chico Buarque, but he's one of those artists that can only be properly apreciated if you know the portuguese language. Maybe Gotan Project? This is a modernization of argentinian music, but very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3UpZydTFb0 .

Dutchy
Raven
Raven

15 Mar 2014, 7:47 am

Haha oh i'm sorry if i'm a little bit confusing. Maybe it helps to tell you what i got so far in my musiclist, so you'll know a little bit what i like:

So far my musiclist is filled with these artist: Alejandro Sanz, Arcangel, Aventura, Belle Perez, Camila, Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, Elvis Crespo, Enrique Iglesias, Gipsy Kings, Gloria Estafan, Gusttavo Lima, Juan Luis Guerra, Juannes, Loona, Los Lobos, Lucenzo, Maná, Manu Chao, Marc Antony, Mecano, Michael Telo, Niga, Santana, Sergio Mendes, Shakira, Tego Calderon. And further i got a lot of Zumba music too (don't always know the artists).

You see, most of it is more like pop-music. Which don't mean i can't like an other genre. That's why i ask you guys which latin music do you like?
I want to know the different artists and styles. Spanish, Portuguese, Galician, Latin-American, doesn't matter. To me it all sounds a little bit the same, although i'm fully aware that there are many differences in them. But if it has a little bit that 'arriba arriba' vibe, it's latin enough for me :lol: Also Spanish/English duets are good for me, or English songs in Spanish version.

It's something about the Spanish language i like. I like the emotion of that language. It has some kind of 'vibe' i like. It sounds and feels to me like fire, passion, sensuality and expression. It is so open. So free, no shames. That, in combination with the whole Spanish/Latin history and culture makes it for me very pleasant to listen to. Maybe a little bit cliché but i just like that about it. Most of the time i don't know what they're singing about, but that's okay with me.

So if you think you have something to share in this, please share!
There are so many great artists! And my music list is too empty in my opinion :)