Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 11:29 am

Is it because it's at the very bottom of the wrong planet?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 5:54 pm

waarom dit in het Engels is?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 6:54 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
waarom dit in het Engels is?

Cur lingua Anglorum est prima lingua mei.

bakattsura
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2008, 5:35 pm

分からねぇぞw

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 6:04 pm

bakattsura wrote:
分からねぇぞw

Congrats, my computer doesn't have that character set.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:17 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
bakattsura wrote:
分からねぇぞw

You don't have the language pack installed... I always install them as I have online friends

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 7:48 am

The only friends I have who use a different alphabet are my Israeli friends, but I got Hebrew installed on my computer. Thank you Mustafa Kemal Ataturk for introducing western alphabet in Turkiye 8)

The reasons why this part of the forum is rather inactive is simply because the vast majority of posters here are used to post in English where every member can interact. The other languages obviously carry restrictions with them: open a topic in Turkish, Wolof, Portuguese or Swedish and only a small percentage of members will even bother to read it, let alone interact in the discussion. This forum is English language, and people are used to post in English where everyone can join the debate. No other reason why this particular subforum is less active, I highly doubt it would be more active if it were somewhere more on top of the sites ranking order.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:12 pm

Keith wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
bakattsura wrote:
分からねぇぞw

You don't have the language pack installed... I always install them as I have online friends

I bought the laptop used and don't have the Windows 2000 Pro disc.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

crackedpleasures wrote:
The only friends I have who use a different alphabet are my Israeli friends, but I got Hebrew installed on my computer. Thank you Mustafa Kemal Ataturk for introducing western alphabet in Turkiye 8)

The reasons why this part of the forum is rather inactive is simply because the vast majority of posters here are used to post in English where every member can interact. The other languages obviously carry restrictions with them: open a topic in Turkish, Wolof, Portuguese or Swedish and only a small percentage of members will even bother to read it, let alone interact in the discussion. This forum is English language, and people are used to post in English where everyone can join the debate. No other reason why this particular subforum is less active, I highly doubt it would be more active if it were somewhere more on top of the sites ranking order.

I suppose so, but it would be nice if threads didn't die so easily here.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 9:51 pm

英語だけ話せますから。

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 4:43 am

twoshots wrote:
英語だけ話せますから。

"Вы говорите только Английский?"
Нет, но я говорю в первую очередь Английский.
Я знаю Английский и испанский языки,
часов обучения латыни, изучали иврит,
Исследованы латышском языке, и один раз
Я пытался узнать, русский язык.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 10:26 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
crackedpleasures wrote:

I suppose so, but it would be nice if threads didn't die so easily here.

Thing is as well: there is one thread per foreign language, but apart from that language itself there is no real subject of discussion so this one thread gets chaotic easily because you have no point of debate. It is like telling someone to speak Japanese without telling him what to talk about in Japanese. I think if you want really diverse debates in any other language than English, you need regionalised forums instead of WrongPlanet. Because WP is already a very big forum compared to the average internet debate forum, if we would have several subforums per language as well the forum would basically become so huge that one gets lost in the number of subforums.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 6:43 pm

I'd say this should be made a foreign languages and linguistics forum and then moved up by the philosophy and politics forum.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 7:24 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
I'd say this should be made a foreign languages and linguistics forum and then moved up by the philosophy and politics forum.

Can you imagine how difficult it would be for those who don't speak english to find their languages thread if that happened?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 9:27 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

Can you imagine how difficult it would be for those who don't speak english to find their languages thread if that happened?

I think just about everyone here knows English, and I don't think single threads for each foreign language is the way to go (mainly because nothing's stopping people from opening new threads).

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 11:00 pm

Quote:
I think just about everyone here knows English, and I don't think single threads for each foreign language is the way to go (mainly because nothing's stopping people from opening new threads).

thats why this forum is here. Not everyone here speaks english even though just about every poster does. This place is for those who don't speak english to find people who do speak their tongue.

I really don't understand the second part. In general the posters use one thread because with only 2 or 3 of them it keeps things easier, but there are languages here with more than one thread and there is nothing against that. There are 4 french threads on the first page and a few others on the second page.

This thread should however have a sticky at the top with links to foreign language autism forums. As it stands now a polish person would have to be able to read english and sort through the threads to find a polish forum which doesn't make to much sense

The dutch forum i'm on has an english forum for people just stopping by to say hi who don't know dutch but speak english. They include their list of foreign language equivalents in the top thread there. In general that forum gets a post or two every year. Actually its mainly just used by a german guy who comes to update the dutch on what they are doing in germany

Last edited by Triangular_Trees on 13 Sep 2008, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.