Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MsJustice
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2021, 4:05 pm

I was forced as a child to maintain my extremely thick curly hair down to my waist. I remember getting awful headaches from it, especially when it was forced up into bows and such. My extremely feminine Southern mother had a collection of hundreds of bows on awful huge metal clips she would pull all that heavy hair up to the top of my head and clip it tightly. I hated it, but what could I do? I think it contributed to lots of meltdowns. I have traction hair loss at my hairline from it being pulled back so tightly for so many years. When I was 18, I went and had it chopped off to about an inch thick at the longest, on top, and shaved on the sides. My mother cried when she saw it but I had never felt better. I have pretty much maintained a pixie cut for the past 10 years. Recently, I got curious about growing it out and spent about 6 months doing so. However, once it was long enough to be tucked behind my ears, I couldn't stand it. I hate the feeling of the hair on/behind my ears and definitely at the nape of my neck. Anyone here with similar experiences?

Shminzo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Feb 2021, 5:48 am

I hate the feeling of having long hair...I can't stand it being in my face and don't like it when it feels heavy in a pony tail etc. I was never forced to wear it in a certain way when I was child though (apart from the embarrassing bowl haircuts my mum would give us). I shaved mine when I was in my early twenties and it was so liberating, I felt like...myself. My mum cried too! But she came around :) Since then it's mostly been at least pixie short; it has got long once, quite recently, but I soon got fed up and it is a pixie again. Feels much better. Easy to manage, quick to wash, doesn't get in my face! The only difficulty I have with short hair is that I'm really bad at making (and keeping) appointments for haircuts!

civil4life
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Mar 2021, 11:38 pm

I love having short hair. Mine is probably the length you described. There were definitely upset relatives as I have "beautiful strawberry blonde". As a teen I grew it out to fit in. I was a brides maid once and grew it out as much as possible. Day after the wedding I got it cut off. Last year I shaved my head to 1/8" for the first time. I loved it. I let grow a bit in the winter for warmth. I plan to do it again in a month or so when the whether is warmer. I will say I get mistaken for a man fairly regularly, but I wear masculine clothing. Usually it is from behind. I am used to it. Usually the other person is more embarrassed. It's your life, your choice.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 11:50 pm

(I'm just wondering why this is in the women's forum? Men can have head / hair sensitivity as well as having long hair.)

I have really long hair and I would be very stressed to cut any of it. I get frustrated when I bend over for something and I get hair in my eyes or I can't see, but I get ponytail headaches even with just a little bit of tension on my hair.

To me, it's still preferable to cutting my hair.