I've had an invitation for a cervical screening test

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 3:42 pm

HarpyEagle wrote:
Hi. I hate smear tests, because I faint afterwards. Sometimes in the waiting room, sometimes on the path outside. It is a horrible feeling, which is why I haven't been for many years. Here in the uk, there has been a media campaign to get more people to go by telling them that it doesn't hurt. This has made me feel like there is something really wrong with me as a woman, so it has been reassuring to read these posts; not because I am glad that other women have similar problems, but because here, people are talking honestly about the problems which exist. Thank you.

I've always felt alone in this, which is why I glad I wrote this thread. If I read about it in magazines, it just says about people avoiding their smear tests because they feel embarrassed, but I don't feel embarrassed about having a smear test, it is just unbearably painful and it feels like someone is shoving a dagger up there.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 5:37 pm

Sometimes the dr has two different sizes, and they could use a smaller one (if you ask). Mine does this for me.

It also helps to find a dr who will be patient with you and talk you through everything. The best doctors should do this.

If I feel rushed or belittled, I look for a different doctor.

Many women (and doctors!) don't understand vaginismus, it is very unfortunate :|

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2021, 8:45 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Sometimes the dr has two different sizes, and they could use a smaller one (if you ask). Mine does this for me.

It also helps to find a dr who will be patient with you and talk you through everything. The best doctors should do this.

Many women (and doctors!) don't understand vaginismus, it is very unfortunate :|

In the UK the practice nurse does smear tests. Same person who takes your blood samples and so on. You wait in the waiting area and get whatever nurse is available. Though, if you've had a bad experience with one nurse you could request a different one.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 6:39 pm

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:

The nurse did use the smallest size but it still hurt like anything to the point where the smear test just couldn't be performed. The nurse wasn't impatient or anything. I'm just living in hope that I'll never get cancer down there, that's all.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2021, 11:59 pm

Quote:
In the UK the practice nurse does smear tests. Same person who takes your blood samples and so on. You wait in the waiting area and get whatever nurse is available. Though, if you've had a bad experience with one nurse you could request a different one.

I had no idea. I apologize!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 12:46 am

that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
Quote:

I had no idea. I apologize!

No need to apologise. I was just giving an explanation for non-British readers.

professorkiki33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2021, 3:47 pm

I understand your fear, but if you're a woman age 27 or older, completing a pap smear once every year is a necessity.

I live in the US, so I'm not sure what the process is like in your location, however I would never respond to letters from the government or medical officials who were not my own personal doctors.

Do your own research and find a reputable gynecologist who seems trustworthy, kind, and willing to understand you and make you more comfortable around the process. Schedule an appointment with them to complete a pap smear and repeat that appointment once every year. It's important.

It's also important that you get comfortable with your body. I use this every day, just a gentle massage and it's lubricating and nice. It may also help during the appointment, because it does help with sex. As a person with ASD, I'm adamant about only using organic/natural products that are limited ingredient and nontoxic.

I tried inserting a link, but it's not letting me so just google: Living Libations Petal Passion Yoni Serum

Follow me on Instagram for spiritual digital art stuff: https://www.instagram.com/kikicosmicguide/

Check out my Coloring Book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0989VKSBY

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 3:55 pm

Technically the letter is from the NHS, which is our National Health Service. They send reminders out every 3 years in the UK, I don't think they usually offer yearly tests, but you can request a test if you are concerned.

In the envelope there is a letter inviting you to go to the GP practice where you are registered for your cervical smear. And there is a leaflet included which contains this info: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-screening/

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
(Man butting in...)

Are these invitations from a well-established and reputable medical facility?  Something like Kaiser-Permanente or Hoag Hospitals or the Mayo Clinic?

Some women receive "invitations" like this that turn out to be from people who just want to "play doctor".

Be careful, please!

(Man leaving quickly...)

more like a clueless american butting in with american health centres that dont exist in the uk

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2022, 10:04 am

Joe90 wrote:
StickBugette wrote:
I used to have vaginismus so I understand how much pain you feel.
A nurse who actually understood and took it seriously gave me a lidocaine cream that I could apply to numb the whole area before the smear test. That really helped.

I hope I can have this.

I'm a huge wimp when it comes to pain. I have an extremely low pain tolerance, which is why I haven't got pregnant, even though I so badly want a baby of my own. :cry:

One option to try to conceive with vaginismus is to try for a "splash pregnancy". Essentially, this is when you do sexual things without penetration, and when the guy is just about to ejaculate, he puts his penis close to the opening of the vagina, but not actually inside. Since it's not inside, it doesn't trigger pain, but it's possible for the sperm to end up going inside because it's so close to the vaginal entrance.

Rainbow unicorn girl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2023, 11:28 am

Hello like most people who have ausim I don't like pain as well I remember having the test agos and it was not nice and now I have a fear getting it due to that bad experience my anxiety is really bad I have health anxiety as well
I was with a health centre that wasn't that good at the time
I think I ask about the lidocaine cream but I was told I can't have it or something else so that's ides out the window
Someone suggested I take a pill can't remember the name but I helps relaxes your mind but when I read the health risks I wasn't sure if it was a good idea
I look into home tests but it still feels like you got to do the same thing
But the ones you have to buy online
I was referred to a community learning disability nurse but that's how far I got
Not sure what else to do
I have been thinking trying hypnotist therapy to see if something like that can help me but not sure
I also take the pill and I may be asexual
I can't remember if I was told if you have a less of a risk if you don't have sex