Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What's the best way to relax your period symptoms?
Hot water bottles/heating pad 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Soothing massage 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Pills 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Warm Drinks 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Deep breaths 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2021, 10:26 pm

Hello, I was just wondering if any women out there used hot water bottles or gentle massage to help soothe bloating and cramps. Can you share your massage techniques? Do you ever have someone else massage you to soothe your stomach? I get cramps and bloating almost every period. This month I had to put a hot water bottle on my stomach and move it back and forth, gently massaging it to relieve the pain from the cramps. Then I had to massage my warm tummy in gentle circles all over with my blanket on just to make some of the bloating go away. This happens frequently but I don't want to take drugs for the pain and discomfort. I would rather use a warm soothing tummy massage since that's also a good way to destress. Other soothing suggestions are welcome. :)

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 10:30 pm

I always just use Tylenol and take hot showers/baths for the cramps. I don't think I have many issues with bloating during my period though, so I'm not sure what's best for that.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm

The best solution to cramps I've discovered is regular exercise (cardio). If I don't exercise regularly, my cramps are much more painful. With strenuous enough exercise (like swimming or cycling), I had no pain. I would exercise at least every other day for twenty to thirty minutes to get the effect, but I prefer every day.

That is a long-term solution, however. Short-term, ibuprofen has been best for me. Aspirin does nothing. An orgasm temporarily relieves cramps. So what I did in my twenties was take the ibuprofen and then try to have an orgasm to relieve the pain while I was waiting for the ibuprofen to start working. The stronger the orgasm, the longer the pain relief.

Hot baths and hot water bottles helped, but my cramps were usually too strong to go away completely with these, and the pain returns within minutes as soon as I would step out of the bath or move the hot water bottle away from my abdomen.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 2:32 pm

Some things I have found helpful (YMMV)

Taking extra iron (during menstruation only)

Hot water bottle / heating pad

Orgasm (can also be used for general pain management, it tends to relieve tension in the whole body)

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2021, 10:31 pm

Of what are listed for options its just pills.

Otherwise:
Routine exercise
Routine stretching (and/or regular massages. I don't usually like being touched much when on my period though. And definitely not my stomach)
Maintaining my weight at/below 150
Naps (No joke, sometimes that's all I need to feel 80% better)
Being careful about what I eat. Dairy, eggs and too much fruit increases cramping as well as just eating too much.
Arnica and black cohash. Ingesting a few drop of a tincture or using topically. Also helps my boob pain.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2021, 2:20 am

I'm definitely seeking heat when I have my period. Warm showers and heat packs or hot water bottle.

I've suffered greatly with heavy periods and pain (debilitating and affecting my daily functioning).
I haven't taken pain medication for about 6 years now but seek regular acupuncture for pain management and period heaviness. It has taken time but it has really changed the pattern of my period to being lighter and less pain and clots. I never thought though that hypersensitivity due to ASD would mean I feel more pain but I had that lightbulb moment not long ago.

I agree that regular exercise and managing diet is super important if you're prone to bloating. Although I would say that lots of strenuous weight lifting (I used to be a delivery truck driver and lifting heavy boxes) was detrimental to my menstrual health.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 3:03 am

Drink lots of water. Ironically bloating is caused by dehydration even though you feel full of water.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2021, 8:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. I don't normally let anyone touch my belly either because I'm ticklish there. However, I tend to try massage myself first to soothe my cramps and bloating. Sometimes a warm belly massage helps me digest my food. Not always though. Anyway last night I had some severe pain in my stomach for awhile right before bed. I tried many things all of which were unsuccessful. I tried a warm water bottle and a massage. I tried deep breathing. I even decided to try tickling my tummy to see if that would soothe me. Nothing helped so I had to take some acetaminophen so I could sleep because it was past 11pm and I had work today. Once I took the pills, I fell asleep and woke up feeling much better. I don't like using pain pills for pain at all but if nothing else works then I have no choice. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2021, 9:38 pm

You could try some raspberry leaf tea, I find it can help a little. But nothing wrong with taking a acetaminophen, if you need to.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2021, 7:45 pm

So from what I'm gathering, no one on here uses abdominal massage to soothe cramps? Is it weird that I do that then?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 7:48 pm

I have tried that before and it helps, I don't really do it often though because I don't like my abdomen being touched. lol

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2021, 8:04 pm

playgroundlover22695 wrote:
So from what I'm gathering, no one on here uses abdominal massage to soothe cramps? Is it weird that I do that then?

I don't think it's weird! You have to find what works for you :!:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2021, 8:13 pm

playgroundlover22695 wrote:

I've never tried it. It does seem weird to me because I don't understand how massage would help with pain from an internal organ (uterus).

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2021, 7:51 pm

Last night I had the same issue in the middle of the night. I went to the bathroom and my stomach started killing me again. I immediately filled up my soda bottle I've been using with hot water, went back to bed and rested it on my tummy. I gently rolled it back and forth for a few minutes, then stopped and just held it on one spot for awhile. I repeated this for a good hour I would say, but it worked. The heat from the bottle combined with the gently rolling motion of the bottle soothed the pain in my tummy away and put me back to sleep. That's why I swear by it. :-P

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 8:04 pm

I had mine surgically removed. Worked like a charm. :wink:

Prior to that I needed heat on my lower back.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:07 am

When my cramps are bad, I melt a bit of dark chocolate over sliced pieces of banana. I've heard it can help decrease cramps, and at least for me it seems to do so. I also have a heat-up teddy bear which I keep around for cramps.