ASD women with partners: how did you do it?

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 12:28 am

I don't want to say, because so many people around here just claim it can't work.

But I met my boyfriend on an online dating site, wasn't good at going out to meet people so talked to guys on there and met some in person...most were kind of a waste of time. But then I met one who wasn't and I am still with them...

But a lot of people on here seem to think you can't meet partners on dating sites, so idk if I was just lucky or what.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 10:15 am

^ I know people who've married their tinder dates, including aspies. Sometimes dating sites work, sometimes not. If they never worked for anyone, they would've long since ran out of users.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2021, 6:34 pm

I’m not always sure how I do it.
I’m often terrible at it and often think I’m better off alone.
I never had positive relationships modelled to me growing up and I have a wealth of poor behaviour that can be very easily triggered. But other times I feel successful and loved and loving and patient.
I think having support out of my relationship helps me to be better in relationship.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2021, 7:32 am

I didn't do anything to attract people. It's important to just be yourself and like yourself. That way you attract the right kind of friends. When I was 22, I wore gender neutral clothes, no makeup, no bra, short hair. I was talented in many things and considered myself the coolest. :D Confidence is really the biggest thing. If it doesn't attract people, at least you feel good about yourself anyway.

I met my husband in a software engineering class. If you don't mind nerds being in a male-dominant field gives you advantages. We didn't know anything about autism of course. Once you secure a partner you can start the romantic stuff. I wrote songs, poems, love letters, did paintings...etc. I know it sounds so last century. I guess I don't know what young people do now to be romantic.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 9:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't want to say, because so many people around here just claim it can't work.

But I met my boyfriend on an online dating site, wasn't good at going out to meet people so talked to guys on there and met some in person...most were kind of a waste of time. But then I met one who wasn't and I am still with them...

But a lot of people on here seem to think you can't meet partners on dating sites, so idk if I was just lucky or what.

Dating sites are more likely to work for a heterosexual woman than for a heterosexual man, because the vast majority of users (of most dating sites, at least) tend to be men.

Still, most dating sites intrinsically promote a very superficial approach, not likely to lead to stable relationships IMO. And most women are, for good reason, reluctant to date total strangers.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2021, 10:14 pm

every couple of weeks im being asked on a date by some bloke or other

i dont know why

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 1:48 am

Caz72 wrote:
every couple of weeks im being asked on a date by some bloke or other

i dont know why

huh, maybe UK men are more assertive? I got hit on by an English fellow at a bar tonight, not that anything came of it-- my friends grabbed me before we really got to talking. :/

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:20 am

I work in the adult entertainment industry so I've no shortage of male attention. Not always for the right reason though but it is how I did meet the only man that I can accept love from and be happy to give my love to.

I am in now way saying that this is what you should do though.

Best of luck to you anyway. I'm pretty certain you will find someone who will appreciate you for the wonderful person you are.

Alien99
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2021, 10:17 pm

Honestly I dated alot of guys and my overwhelm would come up and I would leave early or not return their calls. But when I dated my husband it was really comfortable right ways. He was dorky and funny and made me feel comfortable. He adores me and treats me well and I never had that before. My father was really cruel. I really believe my sensitivities where there to protect me until from the not so great choices until he came along. Then they were the ones that made me stay and work it out when it got tough. My husband is not on the spectrum but he is Neurodivergent.

I think many guys like Aspie girls. We often lack the hang ups over romance. Autism was called extreme male brain. So we tend to understand men pretty easily. Don't overthink it. Just go out there and let your autism be your guide.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Oct 2021, 10:44 pm

Maybe a male dominated field of work might work for you. My friend began dating a girl in his internship group at work in a software internship. They are not on the spectrum, but she is kind of the serious math type, so she strikes me as a tiny bit on the spectrum.

hariboci
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2021, 1:52 am

I was only successful when I managed to boost my self-confidence and didn't care what people think of me.
The self-confidence came from non-dating related fields like hanging out with male friends or being successful in studying, job.

But when I was young I was similarly shy like you and attracted only men who just wanted sex. Me, an idiot, thought if someone smiles at me or is kind, he is in love with me. So I was a very easy target to men. I still have to remind myself that smiling and kindness is not necessary a showcase of affection.

I would recommend you to hang out with friends, mostly men and do something that gives you a satisfactory feeling and could boost your self-confidence. It can be a hobby or being more proactive in your workplace.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2021, 8:41 pm

I met my bf on Tinder. I think, being direct helped me sift through lots of people. He just fit me best, we fit each other best. It's not perfect or anything but I like him the way I like other things, hot cocoa, my stuffies, my fav shows, I can't imagine not knowing him now.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2021, 10:28 am

What worked for my BFF (in her 40s) and I (in my 20s) were getting out of the house for intentional social events, meeting people from outside our culture, and showing interest. In my case my sister invited me to her work-group gathering. In my BFF's case her dance class scheduled a mixer. Nowadays I'd probably do social hikes or some other interest I have where other singles would be. Both our partners are minorities culturally and perhaps relate better to our experience as minorities neurologically. I've realized over the years that when I ovulate I am briefly flirtatious and can attract others. Otherwise my vibes are completely "friends only". My BFF had "friends only" vibes (in a big way) and learned how to have more reciprocal and open conversations and show interest. I had pointed out to her that she had a single twin bed w/ a single nightstand --- she got a full bed and two nightstands and met her partner shortly thereafter. Feng shui? A woman in my support group met her partner online --- again, from outside her culture. Meeting someone from outside one's (sub)culture gives a leg up to "ask, don't assume" communication which is beneficial for ASD folks. I've read that NT men enjoy the independence they have with ASD partners who are rarely jealous and restrictive about time alone.

To maintain the relationship, communication is key. Acknowledge differences and similarities, goodness and concerns - and work together to progress. In my case, I have raging insecurity (and my partner has raging irresponsibility), so he impressed me with: "trust I want to work this out with you" (and I impressed him with "take responsibility"). Our relationship isn't paradise, but it's good. :)

Good luck!

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2021, 4:21 pm

I'm late messaging to this but I thought that guys wouldn't really care if a woman has ASD all that much, compared to women caring about when men have it. I thought guys are more flexible when it comes to that in comparison, unless I am wrong?

Cohnflower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2021, 7:14 am

I think I was very lucky to find someone so loving, accepting, and straightforward. I don’t know what my life would have been without him. I don’t know whether my results could be replicated but I offer my own story as a hopeful anecdote.

I arrived at college as a very sheltered and naive young person. My previous experiences with guys had been awkward and coercive so it wasn’t that surprising in hindsight that my first boyfriend was emotionally abusive, controlling, and unstable. I was isolated early on in the first semester of college with no friends or faculty for support or to recognize what was happening to me. I didn’t know then that I was autistic. Reading about it now, abusive relationships are frighteningly common for women on the spectrum so read up on how to recognize abuse, manipulation and gaslighting.
Luckily for me he dropped out of school freshman year and moved away so I never saw him again.
After that wretched time I acted like a ghost. I was traumatized and ashamed and very lonely. I randomly chose a group of kind non-threatening women to sit with at meals and over time became friends and started to heal. And being a part of that group let me meet my future husband. I was friends with him for a year, getting to know him gradually before ever seeing him as a romantic option. I had to trust him first. He was unique in his confidence, emotional stability, and non-judgemental acceptance of unusual people. I felt in my saddest moments that I could be vulnerable with him.
Being friends with his friends, some who had known him in high school, helped me have confidence in my assessment of him. I’d learned that I couldn’t trust my own judgment of people. having people I trusted confirm that he was a good person made me feel safer.
I tried to flirt with him one night when I decided to make a move. He was oblivious so I ended up just saying I was looking for a partner like him and was he interested? I thought it was going to be a one night stand because that was all I felt I had to offer.
But we dated for 8 years, sometimes long distance, until we got married 4 years ago!
What I’ve learned from this is that who I needed was someone who was stable, open, emotionally intelligent, accepting, patient, safe, kind, straightforward, and consistent. I didn’t put any value on these traits before I met him. We shared some common interests but both have our own individual hobbies that give us time apart. We have both grown so much in the past decade and are still learning how to communicate better and support each other.
Be patient, have courage, know what you need, know how you deserve to be treated and accept nothing less. I hope you find love too. It’s difficult for everyone but it’s possible.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 10:46 am

ironpony wrote:
I'm late messaging to this but I thought that guys wouldn't really care if a woman has ASD all that much, compared to women caring about when men have it. I thought guys are more flexible when it comes to that in comparison, unless I am wrong?

Believe me, they do care, though of course it depends on the individual. I think bluntness women on the spectrum often have is one of the problems; on average, women are raised and expected to be more compromising and polite than men, so men who are used to these kinds of women probably find different women too weird or even threatening.