Blue Jay

27 Nov 2021, 5:32 pm

I am strangely attracted to this fred

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2021, 6:46 pm

hurtloam wrote:
I think this thread is using the term IQ quite loosely to just mean intelligence.

Yes it's elitist to be all like, ooh I could get into Mensa, but the facts are some people are more and less intelligent than others. That's just how it is.

Your average Joe Bloggs wouldn't talk about intelligence because they are surrounded by others of similar intelligence and interests so don't feel different.

Should we never ever mention difference?

Good question. So in the NT world everyone does take difference into account. They aren't anymore or less sanctimonious than the neurodiverse world.

However it's impolite to talk about intelligence as a factor for friendship. People naturally gravitate toward others whom share common interests/spark. These shared commonalities do intersect/overlap or correlate with intelligence.
But correlation is not causation.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 3:40 am

I don't think we are all going round commenting on people's intelligence in real life. Don't worry. No one in this thread is that clueless or rude.

But in defence of the thread, you have different kinds of conversation with intelligent and less intelligent people.

My sister's mother-in-law is no where near as intelligent as my sister and they just don't get each other. Their perspectives are totally different. My sister is interested in all sorts of things and enjoys learning. The MIL just likes her own bubble and doesn't care to move outside of it or learn anything new. That lack of interest in anything really stifles conversation.

Intelligence can be a factor in finding a relatable friend who you enjoy spending time with.

I'm glad you've never had an issue with it, but it is a factor in whether to some of us feel enjoyment in other people's company.

It's a factor in why we can still feel incredibly alone, lonely and misunderstood even though we have friends.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 4:01 am

hurtloam wrote:
I don't think we are all going round commenting on people's intelligence in real life. Don't worry. No one in this thread is that clueless or rude.

But in defence of the thread, you have different kinds of conversation with intelligent and less intelligent people.

My sister's mother-in-law is no where near as intelligent as my sister and they just don't get each other. Their perspectives are totally different. My sister is interested in all sorts of things and enjoys learning. The MIL just likes her own bubble and doesn't care to move outside of it or learn anything new. That lack of interest in anything really stifles conversation.

Intelligence can be a factor in finding a relatable friend who you enjoy spending time with.

I'm glad you've never had an issue with it, but it is a factor in whether to some of us feel enjoyment in other people's company.

It's a factor in why we can still feel incredibly alone, lonely and misunderstood even though we have friends.

Ok when you clarify the purpose of the thread from this perspective it makes perfect sense. Carry on :D

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 4:25 am

I've just noticed that this is in the women's section. I arrived here via the recent posts page originally.

So the theme here is female friendships.

I do find that my interests are often not very stereotypically female and therefore it is more difficult to find buddies to go with me or join me.

I'm really into music. My friends are too, but they like more mainstream pop, so it's great that I have friends to go and see pop groups with, but I won't be able to find anyone to go see Erki Pärnoja with if he ever tours the UK. I want to go and see Aldous Harding, but I know no one else who likes her music. I'll just go by myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 7:38 am

Imagine trying to find someone into 12-tone music!

I’ve had many female friends who are feminine, and don’t really have too many “female” interests.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 8:01 am

hurtloam wrote:
I've just noticed that this is in the women's section. I arrived here via the recent posts page originally.

So the theme here is female friendships.

I do find that my interests are often not very stereotypically female and therefore it is more difficult to find buddies to go with me or join me.

I'm really into music. My friends are too, but they like more mainstream pop, so it's great that I have friends to go and see pop groups with, but I won't be able to find anyone to go see Erki Pärnoja with if he ever tours the UK. I want to go and see Aldous Harding, but I know no one else who likes her music. I'll just go by myself.

I understand this. There are bands I want to see. My mom also likes my favorite band (I really hate it because she gets more attention as a fan than me) but I want to go to concerts with friends. I’d feel like I’m being chaperoned if I went with my mom.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 10:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Imagine trying to find someone into 12-tone music!

I’ve had many female friends who are feminine, and don’t really have too many “female” interests.

I do know a couple of guys who would be into this, but not any women.

katzhutte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Nov 2021, 11:31 am

hurtloam wrote:

Me too , sorry if I encroached

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 4:46 pm

I don't just attract people with learning difficulties, I get on with people with learning difficulties.

Most people with learning difficulties are in menial jobs. One of my (low IQ) friends is in her 50s and only has ever had part-time cleaning jobs. I feel NTs with average/high IQ are too intelligent for me and probably secretly judge me for being in a part-time cleaning job at my age, as most NTs my age work full-time unless they have children (which I don't).

I think my IQ is below average too. But I feel I belong with others below average.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 8:34 pm

Not many low-IQ people are good writers.

I don’t sense you have a low IQ.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2021, 10:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Well it usually takes me a while to learn new things or contain facts, and I'm not the most knowledgeable person. I feel a lot of Aspies here have a higher intellect than me. I'm just extremely creative and extremely emotional.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 1:50 am

^ Want to name names?

It would give me a massive boost if somebody told me I was highly intelligent. :lol: I think I would rather be funny though.

I think intelligent people are often "extremely creative" and "extremely emotional".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 2:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Did you know many indigenous people are classified as "low IQ" however if you put them in a middle of a jungle in Africa and asked them to travel 100's kilometres surviving on their wits to avoid predators and find food/water and at the same time also dropped some intelligent dork with an IQ of 180 in the same jungle, guess who's going to make it to the other end.

IQ tests don't measure application of knowledge.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 3:21 am

I don’t disagree with that, and have said so previously.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2021, 3:32 am

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Did you know many indigenous people are classified as "low IQ" however if you put them in a middle of a jungle in Africa and asked them to travel 100's kilometres surviving on their wits to avoid predators and find food/water and at the same time also dropped some intelligent dork with an IQ of 180 in the same jungle, guess who's going to make it to the other end.

IQ tests don't measure application of knowledge.

Oh yeah, IQ tests are incredibly skewed towards European men who invented them and only measured what they viewed as useful. A lot of people think IQ tests are pointless... I tend to agree.