Is this a woman’s rights issue?
Yes: 92%  92%  [ 35 ]
No: 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 38

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:49 am

We fought so hard for the right to control our own bodies. Our Bodies, Our Selves.

:cry:

It seems impossible to lose so much.

(Of course, that is just a feeling. Obviously it is possible.)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:04 am

UncannyDanny wrote:
Throwing once-pregnant girls in prison just for having an abortion after having a miscarriage?:

That's the tip of the iceberg, you also have rapes, incest and other nasty things the victims will be forced to live with on threat of being thrown in jail.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:05 am

blazingstar wrote:
We fought so hard for the right to control our own bodies. Our Bodies, Our Selves.

It seems impossible to lose so much.

(Of course, that is just a feeling. Obviously it is possible.)

Women who vote for republican candidates are basically complicit in giving away their own rights.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:50 am

magz wrote:
That's a bad turn - I think you should protest while you can.

We're trying, but most people are sleepwalking into this, unaware. Or brainwashed by our right wing, billionaire controlled media to think that a left wing government would be a disaster. And with the new powers the police have, protests are disappearing.

I am absolutely furious about the way my country is going. Especially now we don't have EU checks and balances to restrain our government! They break the law, then when found guilty, change the law so they didn't break it after all! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry for going off on a tangent but I'm so angry.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:52 am

Jakki wrote:
Poor British people .. no right to protest? That’s just crazy too.

Idiotic British people tbh. So many people have been fooled by the government. I am ashamed to be British these days. Although there have been some protests recently despite the law.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:56 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
As a trans man this is also terrifying to me. Becoming pregnant and being forced to go through the pregnancy would be traumatizing, and not to mention a possible danger to me and/or the fetus if I became pregnant while or after being on testosterone (which can still happen). No one really mentions us when abortion is talked about, but this is a rights issue and a health concern for trans men, too.

OMG. I hadn't thought of that. A great point, how frightening for trans men.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:45 pm

Agrees with above postings by Hero and Isabella , and I guess everyone whom posted to this thread ..
But the effects on men , I had not actually considered a when I started this thread….
After reading Isabella post , it occurred to me that this decision affects ALL of us . And am surprised that there is not much more public outrage in the area I live in. Am sorry but if every single person thinks it will not affect them adversely . They will be mistaken as time goes on , as the ramifications of this decision will start to hurt .
Financially sociologically Psychologically . Even extra costs to the government . And then our taxes will need to pay for the side effects. :skull: :scratch:

It seems odd that these judges are now under protection, from the public at large. And steps were taken to do this even before the decision was handed down . By just weeks before the announcement. If our government has to do this , with these judges,and judges make decisions concerning justice in our country. But no one ( or the masses)
Believes they are doing justice .Why then are they in positions to make these decision’s….. :roll: :x
It appears that Trump was suppose to be responsible for appointing the deciding members of the court . So
If we can get him convicted of crimes . Indicating that his sense of judgement was off,( bad)! Can we get these Justices Recalled from the Supreme Court ? :nerdy:
I do not believe anyone wants babies to die , but there needs to be some common sense exercised .

And yes about adoptions , all the Justices should be made to finance all issues around children waiting for adoption
And their estates and public income go to these children ,Based on their decision . Until the Adoption numbers have been eliminated or extremely reduced . It might be good to use discretion involving abortion decisions made by a irresponsible government .?

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:59 pm

It affects all men for many reasons, but most profoundly because they will be liable for monthly child support and half of their potential-child's tuition, childcare, medical care, etc. for 18 years or more, every time they have sex.

How many families are going to let their daughter be pregnant and have a child under this system, without suing the father for everything he owns?

We can talk about human rights all day long but for some men I think it won't hit them until they have to pull out their wallets, for potentially more than one child and more than one mother, every time the condom breaks or they forget to put one on. Even if their partner says she's on the pill, but she isn't.

I'm pretty sure USA also takes men's drivers' licences, garnishes wages, and throws them in jail for non-payment.

I'd be happy to look up the child support guidelines for anyone who disagrees.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:51 pm

Be ware , the USA has a huge number of deadbeat dads here,usually involved in drugs or other things . And if caught
With no job no money . They do not clean up their act but go live with their elderly parents. And just become a burden on society. Have seen this all too often. Sorry to say. Just from things have seen here over and over in at least 2 seperate states I have lived. Often these Dads will contribute to the criminal population. And have been made aware that police here. Do not enforce laws unless it is violent crime. But still give traffic tickets…….. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:54 pm

Jakki wrote:
Be ware , the USA has a huge number of deadbeat dads here,usually involved in drugs or other things . And if caught
With no job no money . They do not clean up their act but go live with their elderly parents. And just become a burden on society. Have seen this all too often. Sorry to say. Just from things have seen here over and over in at least 2 seperate states I have lived. Often these Dads will contribute to the criminal population. And have been made aware that police here. Do not enforce laws unless it is violent crime. But still give traffic tickets…….. :roll:

Same here. ^

I was hoping it was better in USA. I remember seeing Wanted posters for a deadbeat dad in Maine.

* And yes, I acknowledge there are also deadbeat mothers *

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 8:14 pm

Jakki wrote:

TBF alot of deadbeat dads are men who at first support their partner then do a runner. The Roe Vs Wade ruling impacts on women who find out they are pregnant and would have the option to terminate the pregnancy but now are forced to go through with it.

Isabella is right, this will impact on more men. particularly teenage dads.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm

It's sad, and now I see people talking about removing the right to vote and to work. Guess that will be next.

Very glad I never convinced my parents to move to the usa as a kid

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 9:59 pm

Sigi wrote:
It's sad, and now I see people talking about removing the right to vote and to work. Guess that will be next.

Very glad I never convinced my parents to move to the usa as a kid

Ever since millions thought it was a good idea to elect a morally corrupt, bankrupt billionaire who spouted bizarre nonsense as the leader of the free world nearly everything is back on the table.

The mindset of the conservative American is also present in the rest of the western world and it only takes one emergency to make people make decisions to convert paradise into dystopia.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:00 pm

cyberdad wrote:
... this will impact on more men. particularly teenage dads.

Particularly all dads who aren't married to the mother of their child.
Any age of boys and men.

There are still lifelong expenses for married fathers, but if unmarried the court will go after their income.

Here's an example of monthly support amounts from Canada, based on 1997 prices.

Sorry for the red thing - I didn't put that.

These are just the amounts of "basic" monthly child support, which can be garnished from the payor's income, including benefits and tax returns. Basic support covers things like food, clothing, and shelter that all children require. This is per month until the child turns 18, and longer if they remain a student or if they are disabled.

On top of that, payors are responsible for 50% of additional costs on a case-by-case basis, including costs that aren't incurred for all children:

- daycare and before / after-school care
- tuition and boarding for school, up to and including university
- extracurricular activities (sports, dance, etc.)
- medical costs including insurance premiums and dental care

The list goes on.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:21 pm

I think most of these kids are going to end up in foster care. I’m not sure how that will work since we don’t have enough people fostering or adopting as it is.

This will be inhumane for children.

Hopefully, this will be a short-lived mess although it certainly won’t be short enough for people who need self agency right now.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:31 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I think most of these kids are going to end up in foster care. I’m not sure how that will work since we don’t have enough people fostering or adopting as it is.

This will be inhumane for children.

I agree this could happen.
My 25-year old daughter who follows social media, says many women are going on sex-strikes.
They will stop having consensual sex with men.
That's pretty much what I pictured happening.
On my women's autism forum I've already seen women say they will no longer sleep with their husbands.

* Note this isn't to punish men. It's for self-protection from unplanned pregnancy.