Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 1:22 am

I’m 52, I been in premenopause for years now, I got hot flashes & night sweats. I didn’t have my period for over 4 months, then I got my period, I had it for over a week, is that normal?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 1:50 am

You might like to gain information on this via some kind of helpline regarding such matters. You live in the United States so I'm not sure what you would do in your location. In the UK we can call 111.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 5:35 pm

It's not necessarily "abnormal."

I know somebody who had healthy twins when she was 55 years old.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 6:42 pm

Hi Kitty,

Each woman's perimenopause is unique, from what I can tell. For many of us, though, irregular periods that come at less-predictable times, heavier and lighter, longer and shorter, more cramps, lighter cramps, even some clots--can all happen to the same woman regardless (I think) of what her typical periods have been in the past. I think the unpredictable mash-up is universal, though.

For me, when my periods were still regular but I was approaching menopause, I had a few months where my cramps were unbearable (I was so grateful they occurred on weekends because I was lying on the couch and trying not to groan) and then they were gone for good!

Later, I got some shorter periods and some longer, and then toward the end I had a few weeks where I was spotting so lightly that I couldn't use a tampon, and a a pad or liner would have been ridiculous. (I just switched almost exclusively to black underwear just in case. I suppose those "period pants" would have served me well, but I wasn't about to buy something new when I might not ever need it!) After a few months of super-long micro-spotting, I went for 11 months without a period at all…then I got one more. Though it was light, it mimicked the beginning, middle, and end stages I usually saw in the course of a normal 4-5 day period in about 24 hours. Then--POOF! All done.

So, getting back to you, yes, a period that lasts more than a week--even 10 days--is considered normal. Do you have a check-up planned in the near-ish future? If you have any concerns about your specific experiences (I won't call them "symptoms" because perimenopause is not an illness), it wouldn't hurt to touch base with your doctor, especially if she/he is familiar with your history--pelvic exams, birth control, any situations with cramps, fibroids, etc.

I know this may not be a fun time for you, but as some cultures both past and present consider perimenopause a transition into the phase of wise woman or respected and powerful elder, I want to wish you congratulations. We may be awash in the negativity and stigma of the Western mindset, but we don’t have to accept it!

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 9:53 pm

The perimenopause variation in cycle length and heaviness and length of flow is real and really tough. Expect the unexpected? I've been told that if I am filling a Super+ tampon/pad within one hour then that's a concern, otherwise it's all fair game. I very much dislike the variability and unexpectedness of it all. I've had light flows, heavy flows (a Super+ in 2 hours), 2-day flows, 8-day flows, 18-day cycles, 60-day cycles... you name it --- I haven't missed 4 months yet, but I'm a few years behind you. Age 52 is the average age for menopause (12 months without). I'm looking forward to it. Sarcasm: In the meantime, we know how much ASD folks love surprises and unexpected variability. :evil:

Wishing you a smooth-as-can-be transition.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 10:47 pm

Sounds pretty normal to me but a call to your doctor’s office may make you feel better - just to be sure. They may tell you what sort of changes would be a cause for concern.

WebMD usually has helpful advice.
They mention that if you haven’t had a period for a year and then start again that you should call your doctor.