Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:25 pm

My periods have been happening slightly earlier and earlier every month. They also happen without warning, when before I would have bad cramps beforehand. I also bleed through pads every 2 hours for the first day, and then either stop bleeding or bleed very little after that day.

I have no idea of this is normal or not since I don't think that I've had any health changes otherwise, besides for losing weight.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 8:55 pm

Are you on hormone therapy?

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2023, 9:17 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Are you on hormone therapy?

No, I'm not on any type of hormone therapy.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 8:41 am

That's usually a sign that ovulation didn't happen, so the periods were "breakthrough bleeding" which tend to be lighter and earlier. Birth control pills make periods lighter because that's the point. Weight loss may affect it because the body suppress ovulation if it thinks there's not enough calories available. I don't know the exact cause for you of course. Better ask your doctor about it.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 7:30 pm

I'm not on birth control and I bleed very heavily for the first day. I think maybe my weight loss is causing it. I might have to see my doctor again soon so I'll bring it up then (or better yet just finally get my first ever gyno appointment and ask them... lol).

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2023, 10:25 pm

That is exactly what happened to my cycles: shorter cycles, heavy initial flow, shorter length. In my case it was hormonal shift related to age (late 40s). Then I got COVID which skipped me a cycle and my cycles resumed in three-week cycles (with legitimate signs of ovulation and PMS so I was cycling); I went on BCP for a few months to regulate back at 28 days (well 26 naturally since the big M is approaching).

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 3:26 pm

Fairfield wrote:
I'm not on birth control and I bleed very heavily for the first day. I think maybe my weight loss is causing it. I might have to see my doctor again soon so I'll bring it up then (or better yet just finally get my first ever gyno appointment and ask them... lol).

Yes, weight loss is most likely the factor. If you're stressed at all, that could affect it, too.

Definitely see your GP about it.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 3:51 pm

Fairfield wrote:

Mine stopped completely due to being significantly under weight. Best to see the doctor I think.