Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hermien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2009, 9:22 am

I'm trying to find some books on relationships with aspi women, written from a male's point of view. There is a bunch of books by women who write about aspi men / spouses, however, aspi women are different!

Also, I'm interested in books from aspi men on how to deal with their NT other half.

Please no autism books, Apergers, (of the high functioning type) is just fine.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 10:50 am

Hermien wrote:
I'm trying to find some books on relationships with aspi women, written from a male's point of view. There is a bunch of books by women who write about aspi men / spouses, however, aspi women are different!

Also, I'm interested in books from aspi men on how to deal with their NT other half.

Please no autism books, Apergers, (of the high functioning type) is just fine.

How right you are, Hermien! Aspie women are different from Aspie men! You could help write one, perhaps, because your need for information is an idea whose time has come

Women with Asperger's are just starting to come to the attention of the Autism world. Once thought to be very rare, Aspie women and girls are starting to be recognized as just as prevelent as their Aspie brothers, they just have a different presentation of their symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome.

Merle

Hermien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2009, 11:42 am

I could help write one, certainly.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 11:48 am

aspie women are different than aspie men. whatever helps you understand them is good, learning about how asburgers manifests itself in different ways (mannerisms, special interests, geeky dress sense, quietness, not knowing how to join into a conversation, etc) once u understand it u can look at a female or male aspie and understand how they are thinking feeling better. so anything about as will do for u, dr farttwood writes about aspie females in his books. stay away from maxine aston's stuff cuz she is not an academic researcher as she claims, she has not published a single research article and her "research" does not exist and has never been peer reviewed, her certifications have very loose requirements, and she does not have any licence that needs to be renewed, only diplomas.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 11:52 am

I'm an Aspie woman, but a lesbian, so I don't know how much help my perspective would be.
Don't know of any books, although any on clear communication would be helpful. Vagueness drives us nuts, guessing what someone needs/wants... impossible.

You might check out some of the women's blogs for a little insight. One of my favorites is Rachel's blog...
http://www.aspergerjourneys.com/

She has links to others.

You could also start a thread asking for rec'd to other women's blogs.

Hermien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2009, 1:21 pm

nice collection of blogs! Thanks, and still none of these from the male perspective.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 1:23 pm

make a thread titled "looking for males in relationship with an aspie female!"

Jacaen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2009, 1:35 pm

I think Maxine C. Aston's Aspergers In Love and The Other Half of Asperger Syndrome have a bit to say about female aspies and their partners. Not a lot, but it's something.

Hermien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2009, 1:40 pm

thanks!

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm

I do not believe that Maxine Aston is a good source of information. She is known primarily for trying to perpetuate the notion that people with AS cause illness in those without the condition.

What she is not known for is backing up her (in my-opinion discriminatory and hate mongering) assertions that we cause illness in others with sound scientific proof.

Jacaen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2009, 10:57 pm

pandd wrote:
I do not believe that Maxine Aston is a good source of information. She is known primarily for trying to perpetuate the notion that people with AS cause illness in those without the condition.

What she is not known for is backing up her (in my-opinion discriminatory and hate mongering) assertions that we cause illness in others with sound scientific proof.

I thought her name sounded familiar, in a negative way. I really don't remember much from what I read in those books, or even if I liked them. Just that I remember stories of female Aspies and their husbands.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 9:32 am

Hermien wrote:
nice collection of blogs! Thanks, and still none of these from the male perspective.

Yeah, I know. I think all the NT guys are busy just trying to cope! :lol:

But hopefully, it'll give you some idea of the thought processes and how things appear to an Aspie woman. Then maybe you'll be able to better address the particulars of your own situation.

And don't forget, there's still the guy/gal dichotomy, so some of those books might be helpful... in part. Communication between the two genders has always been a booger.

:P

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 10:49 am

Asperger's is part of autism; I do not understand your attempt to be divisive on the matter in your original post.

You may wish to look at the Mars/Venus series, as while it is meant as a gender based explanation, some of the qualities can be reexamined in an AS/NT division.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 7:55 pm

another thread on WP

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... 86#2299186

Dr. Attwood talks about Females w/Aspergers

John Elder Robison hopes you'll tune in for the interview with Dr. Tony Attwood on Asperger Women Association Radio. Call in and join the discussion! It will air live this Tuesday 07/21. http://tobtr.com/s/608673
Dr. Tony Attwood 7/21/2009 - Asperger Women Assoc on Blog Talk Radio
Source: tobtr.com
Professor Attwood joins us for a discussion about his latest book Aspergers and Girls his affiliation with FAAAS and his explanation of the Cassandra Affective Deprivation Disorder CAAD. Dr Attwood is ...
8 hours ago · Comment · LikeUnlike · Share

This is from my Facebook page.

Web Page Name.....

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 9:27 am

Interesting.

I had no idea the females and males presented ASD differently.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 9:13 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Interesting.

I had no idea the females and males presented ASD differently.

and that was Dr Attwood's whole point, NO body did. They just thought that there were far fewer Aspie girls/women. But it's the social thing, apparently, there were more of the 'shy' girl that no one understands is smart enough to hide behind the 'shy' because she knows she will look 'odd' if she gets out of her comfort zone. Usually they are so good at school and not a problem with the authorities at school or in the community and isn't every girl gaga over horses or butterflies or widgets or zoo-zoos and wham whams. . . and so they 'pass', especially if it was before people in the States knew about more autism than Kanner's .