Anti-inflamitory diet leading to balls hurting after a time

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Snaptoss
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2010, 8:25 pm

Hey all. I have a fairly gender specific issue I need help with. There doesn't seem to be a section for men, but luckily there's one for women which is just 1 away.

Ok, so here's my problem: A long while back I started taking fish oil supplements to treat an attention deficit I have. This is a well-documented, effective treatment for add/adhd/bipolar/etc. It worked for me, the only problem was... my balls started to hurt/ feel odd. I drive a stick-shift, and it was just brutal (having to balance on the seat with two feet on the pedals, I won't even explain..) but yeah... My tender stuff (that's what you call balls that are giving you discomfort) healed up after I discontinued the fish oil supplements. Get this, I was only taking half the recommended dose! Now, I get the same symptoms for a couple days after I eat fish. For a long time I couldn't figure out what it was, but then I thought, "hey, maybe it's got to do with the anti-inflamatory response." To test this out, I started taking Vitamin D supplements (which I read up on, and found evidence that they reduce inflammation, and according to me, it may help some with focus) and now, approximately 1 month later, after adding Vitamin-D to my regemine, I'm sitting here typing to you with a sack full of sore seagulls again (this is another euphemism, btw). wtf, this is uncomfortable =(

Has anyone herd of this sort of thing happen? I checked the internet, and there doesn't seem to be much chatter going on about side effects of omega-3, DHA, EPA, anti-inflamatory agents, etc...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 9:27 pm

Have you consulted your health care provider about this?

Merle

(and the men's section went from a discussion group like this one to a sticky on the In-Depth Adult Life Discussion.)
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt101191.html

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 2:42 am

while women get there own forum, so sexist

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 5:45 am

It sounds like you really need to see a doctor for that.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2010, 8:49 am

Eggman wrote:

Eggman, you have been explained many times about the history of the Men's Discussion Group at WP. If you notice even the one that is in the InDepth isn't posted in much by the men who griped about getting one months ago.

Snaptoss
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Apr 2010, 9:06 pm

Eggman wrote:

Hey, we already have a "Games and Video Games" section, so I don't see things around here as sexist =P

sinsboldly wrote:
Have you consulted your health care provider about this?

IdahoRose wrote:
It sounds like you really need to see a doctor for that.

Good idea, let's change the conversation back to my balls. So here's the deal with that.
1) Yes, I did mention my balls and fish oil to my health care provider. He said something like, "I wouldn't..." Well, first, he actually pointed out that he hadn't heard anything about fish oil having anti-inflammatory properties. Then he went on to say, that he didn't know what the deal could be with my balls. He suggested I see an allergenist. I figured that was a good idea, and I signed up for it... but then I realized, my balls were back to normal at the time! There wouldn't by any symptoms for them to bat at. I pretty much figured I wouldn't be able to just show up at the allergenist's and say, "hey, my balls hurt when I eat fish... wtf?" if I wasn't presenting any symptoms at the time.

Then I got it in my head that I would get my symptoms back and THEN sign up for an appointment with the allergenist. Sounds easy, right? Wrong, yesterday my balls hurt extra bad. It was hard to sleep even, I was worried. I visually observed the swinging duo, and guess what --My testicles are hanging too low! Distinctly lower than usual. Messed up! This was one of my theories before, but I didn't take measurements, so I couldn't tell. Now I can tell for sure, anti-inflammatory diet causes my sack to not provide enough support for my nuts. This is freaky, having to be careful about them. So freaky indeed that I decided to cut it with the vitamin D all together. I'd like to see an allergist, but I'm just not willing to risk it what ever could possibly go wrong.

That said, the internet is kinda my best shot at this (what seems to be an abnormal physiology issue... although lots of old dudes are said to have sagging balls, and they're often placed on arrays of drugs, some of which have anti-inflammatory properties...hmm...). Anyway, health care providers are really good and I really value the idea, but at the moment, I live in a location where health care providers seem to be the equivalents of high-school janitors, regarding dedication and proficiency; if there's a mess I want cleaned up, it's proven to be the case that I'll have to show them what it is and what they will need to do to clean it up. (Note: not ALL of them are that way up here, just way more than I would consider ordinary and I don't have time to figure out how to brows for a competent doctor atm).

But while we're on the subject of health care ppl, you prompt a question whose answer may become important down the rode. It seems like a urologist would be the ideal person to see if I ever get myself sick again, right? (as opposed to an allergist) I mean, now that I know it's an anti-inflammatory response causing the condition and not specifically fish? Or would you still go for an allergist, since it's technically an allergy to anti-inflammatory??? So far it seems like GPs don't know all that much about this side effect.