Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 9:46 am

s**t, I winked at my bus-driver who I fancy yesterday. Is it socially acceptable for a woman to wink at a man, or is it considered ''weird'' if a woman does it? I know men are allowed to. I've been laying awake worrying about it last night, because you know how breaking one trivial social rule is a massive big deal to other people, and if one breaks one silly little social rule, the whole world is going to end.

That explains that funny stare I got from some a***hole woman the other week, because my bus-driver winked at me as he was getting into a bus and he said, ''see you later, love'' aswell, and I winked back, then this random woman stared at me (she's lucky I didn't kick her f*****g head in - like is it her f*****g business if I winked back at the bus-driver?!).

I know Ann Robinson winks when the Weakest Link used to finish (a British programme that used to be on), and that was considered OK, but apparently it's not OK for women to wink at men. I got the impression that this rule is inappropriate because I told my mum and she didn't look very comfortable when I told her.

f**k, is this such a big deal that I winked back at my bus-driver? Or would he of liked it? Is it only women who are a***holes to eachother and do all the social rules by the book? Will this now make it look like I'm weird? Impressions are important to me when it comes to men I fancy, especially if they like me back (I know this one does, he told me ages ago).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 12:08 pm

I don't know how things are in GB, but here in the States, a wink from a woman implies that a man might "get lucky" with her. In reality, it may simply mean that she's teasing the man and is interested only in getting a reaction from him or in stringing him along for his money.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 1:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
sh**, I winked at my bus-driver who I fancy yesterday. Is it socially acceptable for a woman to wink at a man, or is it considered ''weird'' if a woman does it? I know men are allowed to. I've been laying awake worrying about it last night, because you know how breaking one trivial social rule is a massive big deal to other people, and if one breaks one silly little social rule, the whole world is going to end.

I think this is fine and just normal flirting. He fancies you, you fancy him no problem.

Quote:
That explains that funny stare I got from some a***hole woman the other week, because my bus-driver winked at me as he was getting into a bus and he said, ''see you later, love'' aswell, and I winked back, then this random woman stared at me

The British are still prudes in public most of the time, public displays of affection are frowned on by many. Ignore her.

Quote:

(she's lucky I didn't kick her f***ing head in - like is it her f***ing business if I winked back at the bus-driver?!).

This is a complete over reaction. If you were really bothered about her staring at you, stick your tongue out at her.

Quote:
I know Ann Robinson winks when the Weakest Link used to finish (a British programme that used to be on), and that was considered OK, but apparently it's not OK for women to wink at men. I got the impression that this rule is inappropriate because I told my mum and she didn't look very comfortable when I told her.

British people are prudes. British parents are very prudish when it comes to their children. Or perhaps your mom's inner snob was coming out because a bus driver is beneath you.

Quote:
f**k, is this such a big deal that I winked back at my bus-driver? Or would he of liked it? Is it only women who are a***holes to eachother and do all the social rules by the book? Will this now make it look like I'm weird? Impressions are important to me when it comes to men I fancy, especially if they like me back (I know this one does, he told me ages ago).

It's not a big deal, he would have liked it, get in there girl!

mv
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2012, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
I don't know how things are in GB, but here in the States, a wink from a woman implies that a man might "get lucky" with her. In reality, it may simply mean that she's teasing the man and is interested only in getting a reaction from him or in stringing him along for his money.

Uh, no, not necessarily. It could just be a flirty-but-friendly gesture. It depends on context, like everything.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 8:39 am

Who cares, he winked back . Heeeey.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

I certainly don't wink often. I'm pretty sure any time I wink I just look like I've got something in my eye.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 4:09 am

Winking is flirtatious, but it's more socially acceptable for men to be overtly flirtatious than women. Go for it.