Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 5:16 pm

Erisad wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
BigK wrote:
A skinny girl is less likely to survive a harsh drought. ;)

Not necessarily, the skinny girls can eat the fat girl if the draught gets that bad. :P

Not if they have to fight for the death. Chances are, the fat girl could knock the skinny one out easy, since they have less padding. XD

Aha, but the fat girl would get worn out quicker because they won't be as fit, so the skinny one can make her tired at first so when she falls, the skinny one can dive on her. :P

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 5:18 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Erisad wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
BigK wrote:
A skinny girl is less likely to survive a harsh drought. ;)

Not necessarily, the skinny girls can eat the fat girl if the draught gets that bad. :P

Not if they have to fight for the death. Chances are, the fat girl could knock the skinny one out easy, since they have less padding. XD

Aha, but the fat girl would get worn out quicker because they won't be as fit, so the skinny one can make her tired at first so when she falls, the skinny one can dive on her. :P

Just because a girl is skinny doesn't mean she has stamina. She could just be naturally skinny and have never exercised in her life. Similar point for the fat girl, just because she's big doesn't mean she can't keep up. Look at those fat guys on the NFL run and tell me that they don't have stamina. :D

Either way, lol for amusing hypothetical discussion. XD

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 12:57 am

Skinny =/= in shape. Nor does fat = in poor shape.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:07 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Skinny =/= in shape. Nor does fat = in poor shape.

That's exactly my point. You just said it a lot clearer. Thank you! :D

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:35 am

Ok so who do you all think is more attractive out of these women?

Nigella Lawson

Queen Latifah

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:42 am

I don't think that picture does Queen Latifah justice. She looks all serious and cold in it when she looks a hell of a lot better when she has a warm smile on her face. That being said, Queen Latifah is gorgeous. The other chick barely looks overweight at all so I don't know if there's really a point to comparing them. She's still pretty, though. >.<

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:51 am

Erisad wrote:
I don't think that picture does Queen Latifah justice. She looks all serious and cold in it when she looks a hell of a lot better when she has a warm smile on her face. That being said, Queen Latifah is gorgeous. The other chick barely looks overweight at all so I don't know if there's really a point to comparing them. She's still pretty, though. >.<

I couldn't think of any other plus size white celebrities :P

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 7:54 am

blue_bean wrote:
Erisad wrote:

I couldn't think of any other plus size white celebrities :P

The only one that comes to mind is Rosie O'Donnell and she's not pretty at all but maybe that's just her loudmouth personality resonating with me. XD

Well, there's Nikki Blonsky from Hairspray. She's not a super-celebrity or anything but she's cute.

That's it I think. Maybe white celebrity women aren't allowed to be fat unless a role calls for it? :/

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 8:57 am

Melissa mccarthy I loved her performances as sookie on Gilmore Girls and dena on Samantha who.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

07 Sep 2010, 10:57 am

buryuntime wrote:
Yes, someone is trolling when they have a differing opinion than you.

Highly doubt a difference in opinion is why that poster was considered a troll. Trolls are after emotional reactions, which is precisely the response you'd expect to get when someone posts about being plus-sized only to be met with a response that refers to them as "gross".

buryuntime wrote:
Most people can say that fat is not appealing on a person, and is not desirable--

Maybe you move in ignorant social circles, but most people I know are well-aware of the fact that, aesthetics aside, people without fat DIE. Was that hypoerbole on your part? That's apart from those who seem to make up the vast majority who do like fat very much in certain places on the body, and still others who are attracted to it altogether.

buryuntime wrote:
and in my case it is worse if one is pale.

Great job. You parroted the OP's original observation back to her without bothering to answer her question about why.

:roll:

:roll:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 12:11 pm

I don't think buryuntime was trying to get a emotional reaction. Some aspies just don't think that way when they say what is on their mind. They think of the words, not how people will react to it and feel.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2010, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Maybe you move in ignorant social circles, but most people I know are well-aware of the fact that, aesthetics aside, people without fat DIE. Was that hypoerbole on your part? That's apart from those who seem to make up the vast majority who do like fat very much in certain places on the body, and still others who are attracted to it altogether.

That's a bit of a misinterpretation; I was speaking of excessive fat. Would most people really prefer their spouse or someone they love to be overweight or obese? Health reasons aside, it is generally not appealing.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

07 Sep 2010, 4:15 pm

buryuntime wrote:
That's a bit of a misinterpretation; I was speaking of excessive fat. Would most people really prefer their spouse or someone they love to be overweight or obese? Health reasons aside, it is generally not appealing.

Ah, hence my confusion. I can't answer whether most people prefer people who are overweight are obese, because those terms refer directly to simple height-weight ratios, while human attraction is far far more complex.

Extremes aside, health has very little to do with how much space one doesn't take up, and our health would be better-served if we stopped pretending it does.

You still didn't answer the OP's original question, which was about her perception of fat as societally more acceptable for black women than white.

BigK
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2010, 4:19 pm

blue_bean wrote:
Ok so who do you all think is more attractive out of these women?

Nigella Lawson

Queen Latifah

You can't beat perfection so I'd have to mark them even.

"How can it not know what it is?"

Aneres
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

Queen Latifah claims to be 5'10" and under 200 pounds. That doesn't seem all that plus size in my opinion. Both women are lovely. It really is all about one's attitude and how one carries oneself. If you don't believe in you, no one else will.

I know that people will see my photo and figure what do I know about it but I am 5'10.5 and my weight ranges from 165 to about 250 depending on how overly stimulating I let my life get and therefore how much I feel the need to comfort myself with food. In a way, it's ironic because the more I stay away from people the more I tend to fit the stereotypical picture of attractiveness but the more I force myself out into the world, which increases my discomfort, the less I end up appearing as such.

For me it seems that really it is more difficult for a woman with ASD because of the comfort issues. No one looks as attractive dressed frumpily. So it becomes a question of how much do I really care about what someone else thinks of my appearance vs. my level of comfort. At this point in my life I am all "give me comfy old jeans and a t-shirt or a velvet track suit and anyone who doesn't like it can simply lump it."

Serena

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 8:55 am

The problem with obesity topic

When a woman's waist size is more than 35 inches, or 89 cm, this is a red flag that could lead to heart disease/diabetes.

It has nothing to do with appearance, but when I see some plus sized people, i wonder about what they eat that makes them store abdominal fat.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo