AS women more likely to give birth to an AS child?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ninszot
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2010, 6:13 pm

Does anyone know of research on women with AS or autism and their pregnancy outcomes?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 6:44 pm

From my own personal opinion, i'd say so. I personally think it's carried on the X chromosone and Males do not pass it down unless the mother of the child is an aspie/or NT carrier. This also explains why more males seem to have it - they only have one X chromosone.

But thats just my opinion. I have no facts to back it up.

ChasUFarley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

I'm an aspie with one son diagnosed with HF autism and another son who... if he's not also an aspie, I'll eat my keyboard. I'd also bet good $ my mother is an aspie, but who's gonna diagnose a 70 year old woman for that?

ninszot
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2010, 9:03 pm

Thanks for your replys and experiences - I have been searching for research on this and am starting to wonder if it is another AS question of mine for which there simly isn't answers . . . yet.

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 10:20 pm

I've read many articles stating that AS has a genetic link.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2010, 11:33 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
From my own personal opinion, i'd say so. I personally think it's carried on the X chromosone and Males do not pass it down unless the mother of the child is an aspie/or NT carrier. This also explains why more males seem to have it - they only have one X chromosone.

But thats just my opinion. I have no facts to back it up.

That's kind of my theory too.

Assuming the ASD trait is a sex-linked one, it would have to be in a recessive X Chromosome. An aspie male would have that, an aspie female would have to have two(If she has a good one, it should override the recessive one and she would be NT, but a carrier).
How it turn out would be dependent on the partners themselves.
Aspie male and aspie female would most certainly produce an aspie offspring; a male would share the aspie trait of the mother or worse(if her recessive chromosome is more severe than her dominant), a female would either show the aspie trait of the mother or father depending which of their X chromosomes is dominant over the other.

NT male X Female aspie = Could produce an NT female or aspie male sharing traits of the mother.
Aspie male X NT female = Could produce NT female or NT male off spring.
Aspie male X NT(carrier) female = 50% chance of aspie female or male off spring.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 1:19 am

It's really not that simple, people.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/press/20 ... netics.htm

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 8:02 am

My mother is very NT, but a few people on my father's side have AS traits. I am pretty certain that mine's genetic, and I inherit it from my father's side. But, of course, it's a combination of both sides... Meh. If I ever do go insane and actually want to get married/have kids, I want one child. It would be cool if he/she will be an Aspie.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 8:36 am

It seems to be present only in my father's side of the family too.

GoingNowhere
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2010, 1:26 pm

i really think there is a gentic thing behind it. my son is not diagnosed as he is too young yet (11months) but i see him being diagnosed in the next year or so.

Autumnsteps
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2010, 1:45 pm

I'm being assessed for aspergers and both my sons are on the spectrum. My dad has a lot of AS traits and I see it in my brother as well. Socially he is not even really comfortable with his own children, he always seems like he feels so awkward

coloringbook
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2010, 6:39 pm

Aspergers is all over my Dad's side of the family, every generation. As are mathematicians, engineers, painters, and delightful geeks of every stripe.

In my generation, there are 3 females and 1 male, (that I know of).

My dad's mom could have walked out of a textbook about AS. She even told me once that the other kid's used to call her "the walking dictionary" because she liked to talk, at length, of course, about how English words were derived from Greek and Latin.

Unfortunately, she had a younger brother who was put in military school due to what may have been meltdowns and depression. He laid down on the train tracks when he was 18. At the time, it was thought to be the result of adolescent "melancholia", but I wonder if there wasn't something else.

Definitely genetic in my family.

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2010, 1:23 am

I probably have AS ("self diagnosed" if you like) and my daughter is diagnosed with AS. It's all through my family but my daughter is the first to be diagnosed. My husband has possible AS as well, also undiagnosed.

Aspiemum82
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2010, 3:15 am

I have AS, and I have 3 children. My eldest son (8) has not been diagnosed, but I think he could have it - he has trouble making friends, he has an obsession which is way beyond 'normal', he has always used big words (evolve instead of change, defeat instead of beat, etc), plus a few other things. My middle son (5) was diagnosed with AS this year. And my daughter (3) - I am 50/50, not too sure just yet. I thought she did but since she turned 3 alot of the behaviours she had are not as noticable now, or have gone altogether...

I also think my father has it, not that he would ever admit it anyway :roll:

Sahmiam
Raven
Raven

11 Oct 2010, 3:34 pm

I think it will still be a number of years before longitudinal studies come out linking autism to genetics, simply because parents of the current generation likely weren't diagnosed with ASDs as children (if at all). I'm pretty sure I have AS. I have a son with classic autism and a daughter diagnosed as HFA. No one else in our family is diagnosed, but I strongly suspect that I, as well as my father and one of my aunts (his sister), have AS.

sturdy
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2010, 7:15 pm

DH is NT
I have HFA/ADD
DS19 is HFA/ADD
DD16 is NT
DS13 is NT

I think my Dad was HFA but was never diagnosed. I think the rest of the relatives are NT although some have "quirks".