Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you think clothes shopping is boring?
Yes I do! 64%  64%  [ 70 ]
Sometimes, not all the time 25%  25%  [ 27 ]
No, not really 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 109

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2010, 10:40 pm

Yes. Which is why I always end up in an electronics or book store.

I don't like shopping for clothes especially when other women are with me because they take forever. The stuff in the stores aren't really my style and/or I don't feel comfortable wearing them (size, texture/cut). I usually have an idea of what I'm looking for when I go, so I'm in and out.

I do like to look for accessories though, like headbands and bags and jewelry. Also underwear (or just Victoria's Secret). It takes me until someone points it out to buy shoes/sneakers.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 12:03 am

Hell yes. I usually send my mom or if there's something I really need, I'll actually go. It's the trying s**t on part that I can't stand.

That and the damned consumerism of it all. I make it a point to exclusively shop at thrift stores and when some uppity b***h I knew from hs is like "omg i luuuuuuuv ur shoes!" I tell her where I got them and her expression shatters.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 5:21 am

Quote:
On top of all that, I become very self-conscious. Whenever I go out clothes shopping, I can't help but think that the people around me can see overwhelmed I feel and that I don't belong there, and that they're wondering what I'm doing there or laughing at how clueless and lost I am

Oh my god I feel exactly like that too! I had to keep looking up at the name to see who wrote that :D

That's exactly another reason why I don't like going shopping. I feel I'm panicing and worrying so much of what other people are thinking of me, that I completely loose interest in the clothes. I always feel people are looking at me, and other girls are laughing at me. Also it's kids what put me off wanting to go out shopping. The way they scream and shout, and I envy them because they're allowed to do that in public and I can't, so I've just got to troop around holding all my frustration in.

I could do without shopping.

ShePariah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Dec 2010, 10:52 am

Yes and No. I like to for a short period time but not to make an all day event out of it.

zweisamkeit
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2010, 11:38 am

hateeeeee shopping. hate hate hate shopping. My mom and sisters can spend hours in one shop and I am sitting in the chair in the corner almost falling asleep. I dont get the styles and I hate trying on clothes(feels itchy and awkward)... so by the end of the shopping trip, I am so low on energy, you would think I went out for a run instead of just being in a store.

alicedress
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2010, 6:36 pm

I did when I was younger. Now I enjoy it. :D

It can be a little frustrating sometimes, though.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 12:54 am

Kaybee wrote:
I strongly dislike clothes shopping. At best, I find it boring, but I often find it very stressful and overwhelming. The stores are inevitably too crowded for me to relax, there's too much going on (music, people talking, people bumping into you, so many different types of clothes and colors that I have trouble focusing on any individual item), and salespeople sometimes pester you. I go into something like a mini-shutdown almost as soon as I enter a store.

I've also always had trouble with matching, so picking out clothes can be a lot of work..

This except I frocking HATE shopping! It is all I can do to grocery shop some weeks.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:46 am

So terribly boring! Yawn.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

AngeLove
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2010, 10:45 am

I think it's just scary, not boring.

Urret
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Dec 2010, 5:17 am

leeloodallas wrote:
Yes. Which is why I always end up in an electronics or book store.

Hehe, same here :P.

When my mom and sister go shopping I sometimes decide to go with them, only to end up in the book store after 15 minutes of suffering :P. My sister is a pain in the ass to shop with. She tries on almost everything, and then you have to listen to her complaining about not having enough money to buy it all for the rest of the day(which includes her getting grumpy and taking it out on me :S). I only go shopping when I need something, and after two hours, I'm dead tired. I do like to shop for books, electronic stuff and sneakers though. I love sneakers (a).

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 3:02 pm

I dislike shopping very much. I'm not interested in fashion... in fact I hate most of the clothes that are purportedly fashionable. I was happiest with my clothes when I bought stuff at goodwill and altered it to fit. I'm just not inclined anymore to comb through a smelly store looking for pants that almost fit. if I ever do find something that fits, is comfortable and a color and pattern I can tolerate wearing, I feel relieved, not excited. if it's a top, I'll then buy 3 or 4 in different colors. when I could afford levis I always bought them because if I knew my size I didn't even have to try them on. I prefer wearing converse because I can easily replace them when they wear out, and sometimes I can find them at marshall's for half off.

but, dressing up is agonizing for me. if I'm going to wear a dress, I'd like to be pretty and fashionable. it's just not in my budget, and I can't figure out what's appropriate for my age.

Gremmie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 7:01 am

Kaybee wrote:
I strongly dislike clothes shopping. At best, I find it boring, but I often find it very stressful and overwhelming. The stores are inevitably too crowded for me to relax, there's too much going on (music, people talking, people bumping into you, so many different types of clothes and colors that I have trouble focusing on any individual item), and salespeople sometimes pester you. I go into something like a mini-shutdown almost as soon as I enter a store.

Me too. I'm getting a lot better with it though. I've actually managed to get past the terror of changing rooms, it's just getting my brain to relax and focus for long enough to get to that point.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2010, 9:56 pm

I have always found it boring, and I hate trying things on. It just seems like a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere (like a bookstore :D ).

This is probably partially why I still own things that I've had since middle school that still fit (I stopped growing at age 14).

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2010, 3:31 am

BlueMage wrote:
There's nothing wrong with liking to shop for clothing. With all the different textures and colors, its a sensual experience. People just like to hate on shopping just because its stereotypical feminine thing.

Agreed!

I happen to love clothes shopping. Every year, my mother send me a gift card or takes me out shopping. My taste is pretty ordinary; I like sundresses and skirts with pretty tops (I have a couple t-shirts, but prefer tanks and babydoll tops) in the summer, jeans or casual slacks and sweaters in the winter. I try to buy clothes that I think are pretty, that fit well, whose colors flatter me. I stay away from patterned tops for the most part, although I like argyle for some reason. (I loathe plaid, and dark green or navy anything.) My husband will also go shopping with me; when it comes to fashion and clothing and color, his eye is better than mine, so I like to get his opinion on my choices. Luckily, he is patient and enjoys shopping (not as much as I do, though)! I think it's fun, all the different looks, trying on something unusual that I might not otherwise get and finding I love it. I have a pretty good idea of what flatters me, but hearing his endorsement is always important. When I was younger, I loved going to the local boutiques with my three best friends; now I mostly go with my mom or husband. I don't really enjoy clothes shopping alone.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 4:47 am

I like shopping for clothes when I am alone and there is nobody pressuring me into buying certain stuff.
Like the sales people that are so desperate for a sale they recommend you buy an outfit that is too small or big. (or just something that you don't like).
Or when I would go shopping with my mother and sister and they would try and force me to buy certain things, and refer to me as "tightarse(this means cheap)" when I would refuse. I would refuse because I either didn't want to spend my whole budget for the shopping day on one pair of shoes or just didn't like what they chose or both.

The fact that sizes are not consistent across all brands annoys me though. In some places I am a 14 and in others I am a 16.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 12:23 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I actually like clothes shopping, I like browsing all the second-hand shops to look for bargains and origional stuff that haven't been in the shops for a while.

Me too! I love going around Charity shops and Camden Market is great too for vintage clothing. It's always pleasing when I find something that fits and I like, and is also a bargain.