yes 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
no 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
not yet 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2010, 6:54 am

I think all of you are familiar with Al Bundy of the series " Married with Children "
After many years of marriage I realise my husband is turning into Al Bundy.
He rarely showers or brushes his teeth, sits hours on the toilet with his newspaper and doesn't touch me anymore. He absolutely doesn't care what he looks like.
By the way I absolutely don't resemble Peggy Bundy and I'm still attractive.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 9:40 am

hmmm

I guess you look more like Kelly :wink:

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 9:52 am

No, I'm married to a perpetual kid.

Maybe it's time to move on? I don't think I could handle an Al Bundy.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2010, 10:28 am

Move on, that's easier said than done, there are the kids, the house and a small business we have together that certainly will not survive if we separate. Financially it would become very difficult for us all.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2010, 10:36 am

Wallourdes wrote:
hmmm

I guess you look more like Kelly :wink:

Oh my god, yes!

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2010, 11:44 am

silvercat wrote:
I think all of you are familiar with Al Bundy of the series " Married with Children "
He rarely showers or brushes his teeth, sits hours on the toilet with his newspaper and doesn't touch me anymore. He absolutely doesn't care what he looks like.
By the way I absolutely don't resemble Peggy Bundy and I'm still attractive.

Have you told him about how this makes you feel?

Couples both need to make an effort with the other half. You're making the effort and he isn't, but if he isn't told about the effects of his behaviour he may think it's all ok. Asking why may also be good.

If the business was dropped, what's your job prospects like?

Remember, the behaviour your kids see will be modeled by them in many cases so staying in the relationship for the sake of the kids is not the best idea. About the house, if your job prospects are good elsewhere, would you be able to afford a smaller place?

His current behaviour may stem from many possible places, you need to talk about it with him before deciding anything drastic. If he's just acting the jerk, that's one thing, but if he's acting this way due to depression, it's quite another.

Good luck regardless.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 2:26 pm

silvercat wrote:

This is pretty much my hubby too, but I don't really care. I haven't made much of an effort to get out of my sweats and ponytail either. He doesn't mind either. We're letting ourselves go together :) .

Stellar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2010, 3:53 pm

Maybe he might be depressed?

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 5:21 pm

Sounds like depression to me. When I'm depressed I live in pyjamas, don't shower enough, forget to do things like brush my teeth or smooth out my double cowlick, don't bother with makeup or hairstyle. It's not a pretty picture! It also kills my sex drive, and I have no energy to do anything, even go hang out with a friend.

Talk to him about how this whole "Al Bundy" act makes you feel. He may think you dont mind, or don't notice, or -- worse -- don't care! It might take a while -- I took me two years to convince my husband that walking around in his undershirt and boxer briefs was a huge turnoff; he just looked sloppy. Now he puts on jeans and t-shirt when he's home; much nicer to look at! Let your husband know how you feel -- even tell him that despite all the difficulties, you're looking at moving on. That jump-started the hell out of my husband; he puts a lot more effort into being nice to me. (Cuddling me, complimenting me on a meal well-made, talking to me about his day.) If your husband will listen, hopefully you can get your marriage back on solid ground where you both feel good. I hope yours is more willing to open up than mine -- it's like pulling teeth to get him to talk about his feelings!

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 9:02 pm

Is he turning into Al Bundy? He is Al Bundy!

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2010, 9:04 pm

naaa...I'd say Ted Bundy

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2010, 1:51 am

Oh no, do I have to fear for my life now?(lol)

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2010, 8:10 am

silvercat wrote:
Oh no, do I have to fear for my life now?(lol)

Just steer clear of his feet :P

Leiservampir
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 4:25 am

I've been together with my boyfriend a year in December, but I can safely say that I don't think he'll ever be an Al Bundy kinda guy. He'll be a kid till the day he dies (which'll be soon at this rate! :wink: )

I can sum it up on one word: Superheros.
He's obsessed with them. He's actually had really deep discussions with his friends (And tries to with me) about things like, which superhero is strongest, what superpower would be the most practical, how easy it would be to make an Iron Man suit. I dare not go on.

silvercat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Nov 2010, 7:14 am

Never say never, I met my husband when I was 20 and now I'm 49. A lot can change in that time.

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2010, 9:24 am

silvercat wrote:
Never say never, I met my husband when I was 20 and now I'm 49. A lot can change in that time.

Yes, you and your husband could look like this (children optional):

:lol: