Why do so many AS ladies seem to be lesbians?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Chimerass
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2011, 12:50 pm

Just an odd observation I recently made. Can someone fill me in?

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:01 pm

This REALLY isn't a good way to introduce yourself here.

Let's try this another way:

Why do you ASSUME that when woman doesn't meet YOUR subjective standards of how a woman must be, she is a lesbian, or seems like one? This isn't about us. It's about how YOU see us and then make judgments of us based on YOUR own narrowmindedness.

I've been labeled a lesbian simply because I don't fit the narrow conventions of what OTHER PEOPLE thought I needed to fit. There is nothing "lesbian-ish" about my differences. Nothing about how I dress, talk or act is a reference to my sexual orientation, at all. I'm just different. But because I'm different, stupid, fearful people want to define my differences in some ways. And since I don't fit their personal idea of a hetero woman, viola, I must be a lesbian (or I just "seem" to be a lesbian). It's sheer stupidity.

How would you like someone to tell you what your sexuality is based on how you walk down the street or what clothes you happened to put on that day?

Stop making ignorant assumptions like that. Please. It's not an "observation." It's just bigotry and nothing more.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:04 pm

According to Baron-Cohen extreme male brain theory about autism, autistic people tend to have a more "male" barin wiring (more gray, less white matter; attraction to physics world, less attraction to social world, etc..) so it's possible that from an external point of view people tend to label AS girls al lesbian.

Last edited by Nightsun on 09 Jan 2011, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimerass
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2011, 1:08 pm

Well, most of the AS ladies I've come across (3) do not wear make-up, they wear male clothes and their general appearances can be described as rather brutish. After some quick conversation, they have conveyed that they do not share sexual interest in men, and that (to paraphrase) "most autistic [females] are of this inclination".

Chimerass
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2011, 1:10 pm

Nightsun wrote:
According to Baron-Cohen extreme male brain theory about autism, autistic people tend to have a more "male" barin wiring (more gray, less white matter; attraction to physics world, less attraction to social world, etc..) so it's possible that from an external point of view people tend to label as girls al lesbian.

Thank you for a good explanation!

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:16 pm

Chimerass wrote:
Well, most of the AS ladies I've come across (3) do not wear make-up, they wear male clothes and their general appearances can be described as rather brutish. After some quick conversation, they have conveyed that they do not share sexual interest in men, and that (to paraphrase) "most autistic [females] are of this inclination".

Well I'm maried with an AS girl, yes she don't wear make-up, she usually wear jeans + t-shirt and doesn't walk like a lady (and many time doesn't think like that too). But in many ways she is pretty and femine, she simply doesn't fit in our society stereotypes. And actually we are married with 2 children so...

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 1:31 pm

I have never seen any evidence on the wrong planet or elsewhere to suggest that women with AS tend to be lesbians. I think that for a first post on the wrong planet that it was ill advised. I can not think of many things which are more likely to create strife in the community than such a post.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.