does anyone have "arts and crafts" obsessions?

Page 5 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

grinningcat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2008, 12:59 pm

Dollhouse miniatures - I was making 1:12 scale, but lately I have been going smaller and smaller. I have to finish a couple of 1:48 scale houses for a show this weekend. I have a whole village waiting for me to build at the moment, LOL! I find I am a kit collector though. I never seem to want to break into the packaging.

Other than that I have done:

1. knitting
2. crochet
3. counted cross stitch
4. dabbled in acrylic painting
5. a brief foray into quilting and sewing
6. a brief foray into ukranian egg painting
7. A brief foray into rock painting.

I will usually try something new, but often once I have mastered it to the point I want to master it, it is left by the wayside. Knitting, cross stitch and dollhouses usually are the things I come back to. Right now I am working on a counted cross stitch of a brightly colored toy shelf full of bears and bunnies :)

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 4:52 pm

Hell yeah! I draw constantly, and I really want to make my own Dollfie. I really want to get back into embroidery and knitting, and I'd like to paint these awesome saint statue bases that I saw on Crafty Chica. Stained glass is fun as well.

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2008, 4:54 pm

I had many art and craft obession!
beadwork, sewing, knitting ...
The problem is i spend a lot of money on those thing.. and then one day i forget about it....

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 9:17 pm

ghouna wrote:
I had many art and craft obession!
beadwork, sewing, knitting ...
The problem is i spend a lot of money on those thing.. and then one day i forget about it....

You sound like every other crafter out there, including NT crafters. Someone even made up a name for "forgotten" projects -- UFOs (unfinished objects). :lol:

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2008, 4:05 pm

I've always been obsessed with cartooning and different cartoon characters, such as villains from "DragonBall Z", "DragonBall", and "DragonBall GT", and I'm still obsessed with it, so much so that I want to and am going to be a self-employed/freelance cartoonist for my future career; I'm not sure if it's crafty but it's definitely creative and in the genre of visual arts.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 1:27 pm

I'm not very good at making things (I know what I want things to look like but they don't end up like that) so I've not really turned it into a hobby, but I love the craft evenings I get invited to about twice a year. You get to try all different sorts (mozaic, card making, flower arranging, jewellery making, blackboard making, pot decorating etc). It's a shame I can't do it more often, but I wouldn't want to buy a load of materials only to get frustrated at not being good at it and then throwing it all out.

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Oct 2008, 7:12 pm

I used to worry about buying loads of material and it being wasted, I suppose due to cheap Chinese manufacturing, I have now bought just enough material to do 3 or 4 hobbies which is great and has made a big difference in my life.

It is so relaxing and a good distraction.

Here's what I bought to start each one I think it cost me about AUD$50

Acrylic painting
Five tubes of paint red, yellow, blue, black, white $10-$15
Canvases - $3-$10
Brushes - $5

Beading
Set of 3 tools - cutters, 2 pliers $17
Beads, wire, headpins - $10-$20
Felt or beading board - $1-$5

Card making
Paper trimmer $20
Double sided tape $5
Papers and card $20

As for How To's there are lots of great websites, and books from the library. If you are really creative you can combine materials from a number of hobbies as well.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 9:33 pm

I am a swirling vortex of at and craft supplies...a dozen arts and crafts junkies could exist comfortably off the stuff I have managed to hoard.

Lately my thing has been "torture bunnies" or 'war bunnies" They have open mouths that you can put stuff in.

Sock creatures in general with open mouths for storing stuff has been the thing....all of them sorta dark and disturbing in nature...

It just occurred to me to make a devil....eek.....must resist impulse...to drop everything and go start on it....well just being here on this board right now is on the basis of impulse...I am really supposed to be cleaning...and entering this computer loggy thing for Flakey....

I am so bad....

GeneralDisarray
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2008, 12:32 am

I love crafting. I used to knit and crochet all the time... but as my joints keep getting worse (genetic collagen deficiency) I am not longer able to do those things. I took up stained glass, that was a lot of fun. I'm now into sewing and embroidery. I'm a charcoal/pastel artist. I usually have to draw from a picture to get an image out right. I am also a photographer. I love fingerpaintinig... it's really relaxing for me. I have a bunch of those coloring books that are weird patterns and shapes. That's a lot of fun, too.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 12:47 pm

I absolutely love scrapbooking. But I also love drawing and painting and photography too.

Seeba7
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2010, 2:41 pm

Scrapbooking
decoupage
collages
cross-stitching
calligraphy
anything made with jewels/feathers
all paper crafts

Right now I'm handcrafting Valentine's day cards for my friends and family. I also cut up all my magazines making a 'style journal' of how I would like to dress.

I have so many crafting tools that I'm like 'mr maker' and his 'doodle drawers'. 'A lady isn' t a lady without a glue gun.' lol

When I was young I had an obsession with things 'in miniature'. I collected scraps of paper and plastic I thought I could use to make things and my mother threw them out on me(i kept them in a bag on the post of my headboard). I was devastated. I always thought I'd have a doll house one day where I'd put in electricity and make all the furniture and artwork. I get very excited when I think about starting that. hehehe!

Haha! UFO's. I have a pile of those in the basement!

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2010, 5:10 pm

Origami
Model making/painting

Those were my big two as a kid/teen. Now I'm quite an accomplished seamstress, but I'm not sure if I'd count that as an obsession/special interest or not. I lean towards 'it's just a hobby I find relaxing', despite the fact that it's also a career thing as well. Eh. :)

krex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 5:47 pm

Making things out of wool has become my strongest and longest lasting craft obsession......Did you know that you could sculpt animals out of a pile of sheep wool with nothing but a little barbed needle ....?

http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

dhynapza
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2010, 9:34 pm

No, it was always too expensive to have such hobbies. I stopped drawing on paper as soon as I got a tablet because it was just making my room a mess and costing far too much. I don't think my parents ever encouraged hobbies like that when I was a kid for that financial reason alone.

I would like to make clothing, blankets, and plushies though. One day. I love plushies. I also have a keen interest in ceramics, but again that is also too expensive. But I would love to have more panda/chinese related things for my room. I'm amassing an army.

nelle
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2010, 9:34 pm

Sewing since 2nd grade. I'm lucky to earn a living by sewing. Fabric collecting goes along with it.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2010, 10:30 pm

I don't have any "gifts" but if I did, Crafts would be it.

I have always loved making cards and crafty things, will upload pics later.