Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2011, 4:36 pm

I can't figure out when someone's being sexist. At all. Unless they directly say\imply that they're being rude because I'm female, or they use a phrase like 'get in the kitchen' or 'make me a sammich', I just think they're being normal.

Does anyone else do that? And how do you deal with it?

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 4:49 pm

Well, if it's not completely obvious, then there is no need to worry about it. Everyone is a little bit discriminatory against others for a variety of reasons.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2011, 5:43 pm

Here is the simplest way to figure out a sexist remark:

You cannot do [insert activity] because you are a woman.

You should do [insert activity] because you are a woman.

When anyone tries to define the whole of you based on a part (your genitals) then that is sexism. Just ignore those who do that.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2011, 10:00 am

Sexism usually takes an overt form that's only not obvious because people have become so desensitized to it.

Jokes among friends, eg. "get in the kitchen and make me a sammich!", etc, are usually mocking sexism and are a typical pattern for how people can easily relate to each other with jokes and teasing. This means you are equal and accepted, quite the difference from sexism.

The sexist will be amazed when there's a stay-at-home dad. The sexist will repeatedly make the "oops" or a joke about the stay-at-home dad being a stay-at-home mom.

The sexist will be amazed when a woman can out-perform any man at anything. The sexist will add on to the end of every compliment "for a woman" when being amazed that a woman out-performed a man.

The sexist will assume a car parked askew must have been a "woman driver". Hell, the sexist says things like "woman driver".

The sexist will point out that someone is a woman when discussing someone who is a woman, but for some reason neglects to point out that someone is a man when discussing someone who is a man.

The sexist will have double standards, eg. applaud a man for promiscuity while insult a woman for the same, etc.

The sexist will consider "feminism" a bad word and will often make up new words, eg. feminazi, etc, to discredit and disrespect an equal rights movement.

The sexist will not understand the difference between equal rights and being rude, using every excuse to be disrespectful and discourteous to women under the guise of "equal rights", assuming that men can only be polite to women based on chivalry, as opposed to basic good manners.

The sexist will question a woman about the timing of her menstrual cycle about trivial things like when she says something he doesn't like and also about important things like her ability to perform in combat or other high pressure situations.

The sexist is really, really uncomfortable by transgendered people and transvestites. Not knowing who to belittle is disorienting.

The sexist can also be a woman. This is called internal sexism and it's almost as common as male sexists.

I could go on and on, but if you think about it, you do know what sexism is.