Do you find chick-lit dumb or do you enjoy it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 3:26 am

I know I enjoy reading Megan McCafferty's and Sophie Kinsella's work but I don't like
Bridget Jones's Diary that's all I've read...

Do you find anything interesting?

peacerunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2011, 4:34 am

i mostly like young adult novels best. But also animal stories where the animal doesn't die in a sad way like Modoc the elephant and A Dog's Purpose. Reading Aspergirls now and finding it very helpful

used to read a little chick lit in summers but don't seem to like it now. seems fake or stupid

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:47 am

I've only read 'Under the Duvet' by Marian Keyes, which is a collection of her journalism. I really enjoyed that but I'm not tempted to read any of her fiction novels or any other chick-lit.

satu
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

My mom and sister read chick lit only as most of my female friends do. I've tried, I mean really, I've read several book they liked and told me to read but I really had to force myself to finish them and I won't volunteer to ever read chick lit again. I don't know, it seems just stupid and silly to me. When I read it I felt like rolling my eyes in annoyance all the time.
The same for movies like Bridget Jones and stuff. Or series like Sex and the City. Ugh.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

satu wrote:
My mom and sister read chick lit only as most of my female friends do. I've tried, I mean really, I've read several book they liked and told me to read but I really had to force myself to finish them and I won't volunteer to ever read chick lit again. I don't know, it seems just stupid and silly to me. When I read it I felt like rolling my eyes in annoyance all the time.
The same for movies like Bridget Jones and stuff. Or series like Sex and the City. Ugh.

I don't know what people like in Sex and the City.. Its horrendously boring!

but Megan Mccaferty's work seems to make sense to me maybe the lead character is an aspergian...

satu
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 3:01 pm

pree10shun wrote:
I don't know what people like in Sex and the City.. Its horrendously boring!
but Megan Mccaferty's work seems to make sense to me maybe the lead character is an aspergian...

Yeah, exactly, just plainly boring. And silly. They only go like "blah blah blah blah sex blah blah men blah shoes blah blah sex blah shoes..." - so what? That's not interesting at all!

I don't know Megan Mccaferty and an asperigan lead at least sounds interesting. But if it's romance it's not for me. I don't like romances. But if it's not about romantic stuff, it's not chick lit, or is it? I think I'll google the author...

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Yeah, exactly, just plainly boring. And silly. They only go like "blah blah blah blah sex blah blah men blah shoes blah blah sex blah shoes..." - so what? That's not interesting at all!

Hehe exactly!

Quote:
I don't know Megan Mccaferty and an asperigan lead at least sounds interesting. But if it's romance it's not for me. I don't like romances. But if it's not about romantic stuff, it's not chick lit, or is it? I think I'll google the author...

Unfortunately a major part of the plot is romance in a non-silly non-romantic manner...
For some reason I connected with the main character... prolly the reason I loved the series...

satu
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 4:31 pm

For romances it's not that it feels stupid and silly like the Sex-and-the-City-like stuff. I just can't really bear reading or watching it. Descriptions of people's deep feelings for each other and such make me want to put a pillow over my eyes and ears and yell out. Don't know how to describe it... but I think that is pretty much the same others feel when they, for example, talk about horror movies and tell you they just can't watch this.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

I get it :) No horror for me...

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

Depends on the author. I'm not too fond of the cliche type of books where women are in their usual roles of being saved by some older man who makes good money while promising sweet nothings. *yawn*

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 9:52 pm

Dumb.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2011, 8:02 am

Can't stand it. I prefer something more serious.

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 5:16 am

satu wrote:
For romances it's not that it feels stupid and silly like the Sex-and-the-City-like stuff. I just can't really bear reading or watching it. Descriptions of people's deep feelings for each other and such make me want to put a pillow over my eyes and ears and yell out. Don't know how to describe it... but I think that is pretty much the same others feel when they, for example, talk about horror movies and tell you they just can't watch this.

I feel like that about both chick lit/flicks and horror. Uhg. If it's a film, I usually end up running around the room.

I can stand fanfiction for some reason, though. It's not usually quite as
Quote:
"blah blah blah blah sex blah blah men blah shoes blah blah sex blah shoes..."
which makes it more tolerable. (And if it does fall into that catagory, I just exist the browser.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2011, 7:07 am

Both; dumb and entertaining. Well, some of it.

I borrow my mum's books; I don't mind Marian Keyes and that crowd- they're good for holidays and killing time.

I cannot stand Jodie Picoult (read a few- borrowed from mum again). I could rant for ages about how she seems to just pick a headline from some trashy newspaper and writes a 300 page novel about it which miraculously manages to completely side-step any whatever issue the book is supposedly about, all in 5 different first-person characters who all sound exactly like Jodie Picoult... not to mention each character having an exotic career with lots of 'facts' about it to prove how well researched the whole thing was (one day she'll forget to remove the little blue hyperlinks...)

And her last e-book had an emotional soundtrack in case your brain wasn't already in a pool around your feet...

I like my chick-lit to be clearly labelled and not masquerading as anything else!

/rant. Apologies to any fans- I will admit this is completely just my personal opinion!

DreamSofa
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2011, 6:58 am

For the most part, I loathe chick-lit. Shoes, shopping, sex. Ugh.

myowngeeksqwad
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

I love to read but "chick lit" is not a genre of choice for me. I have read a few and i just can't get into them. For example: I just read "The Girl Who Chased the Moon". It had a bit of a paranormal twist to it. Yes I confess that I do read historical romances.