Anyone have a hard time with cleaning habits?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 11:10 pm

I used to have trouble with showering and washing my hair but I improved greatly in that area at about the age of 16.
I build my cleanliness stuff into my routine now so it's easy for me to do.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Osakhomen
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2011, 6:45 pm

I used to not shower when I was in middle school. I'd know I smell, but I didn't anyway... I don't really know why. Now I'm the complete opposite... I shower pretty much everyday, and like feeling clean and smelling good. However I only shave if the area is going to be seen... So in the winter I tend not to shave too often.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Dec 2011, 3:37 pm

I worked from home for 5 years and got out of the habit of showering everyday and now I don't work or leave the house much so I still don't shower every day. I like to be clean but like someone else said, I don't like being wet after the shower and I can never get dry fast enough or well enough. I don't shave my legs just because I'm lazy and my girlfriend doesn't care. I never bare my legs in public anyway. I shave my underarms but not very regularly. For everyone who hates razors, get an electric. Those are the best thing ever! When I was in elementary school I remember going through a long spell of not brushing my teeth but I am blessed with the good genetics of never getting cavities. Now I am pretty meticulous about my teeth. When I was little I hated the feeling of toothpaste on my lips. I got braces at age 33 and now I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the 3 hard years of wearing braces, like getting gum disease and having teeth fall out.

jmagda
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2011, 8:47 am

I dread having to wash my makeup off before bed. It's a lose-lose situation because it feels gross and uncomfortable to leave it on, but at the same time I hate the feeling of water being splashed on my face. Especially at night.

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2012, 8:28 pm

I agree with OP... I hate being wet out of the water...I love a hot shower, but dread it as soon as I step out...I particularly hate my hands being wet when the rest of me is dry...I am compelled to dry them off immediately.

My partner doesn't care about whether I've shaved anywhere or not... I usually try to keep up with armpits d/t sensory issues, but my legs in the winter can easily go for a month or two before the hairs start to annoy me and rub on my pants.

Summer/spring makes me anxious because I normally don't think about shaving and feel compelled to for fear of being made fun of for being fuzzy

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 9:00 pm

This is all really interesting to me. I'd call myself NT but I hate that feeling of water clinging to me also. And most towels don't really dry very well. They don't really make those really thirsty kinds (like shamwow) bath size as far as I know.

I also hate the sheets or clothes clinging to me if I put something on or lie down after the shower.

For those who dislike razors on legs have you tried waxing or sugaring? If you get a good waxer (I do not advise doing it at home, go to a professional) that uses soft wax, or try sugaring, it does not hurt. At least, I don't think so. I do have a high pain threshold overall.

If I had a huge really comfy shower or tub I might like it better, but as it is, mostly showers are just messy.

MynameisAnna
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2012, 9:18 pm

you read my mind.
at the moment my armpits are hairy and so are my legs.
i hate the feeling of being wet and when i take baths i dry off right away.
i just dont feel in the mood to shave right now.
there are better things i could be doing like watching tv or playing a game.
its winter also.
im going to wear pants or leggings...or a long sleeved shirt.
so my question is:who cares that im not shaving?
it does not make me dirty or unclean to have hair on my body.
ill shave when im ready.
i like my hair being clean and soft but i dont enjoy washing it.
however im going to do that anyway because i like it being soft.
thats just me.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 12:02 am

Growing up, I had some rather notable self-care issues and was still having trouble suitably dressing myself into my High School years. I also had distinct issues with Hygiene that only gradually improved with age. I wound up in my first Long-term-relationship when I was barely 16, and he would occasionally pick on me for not shaving JUST enough so that I would reluctantly do it occasionally, and 6 years later..when that relationship ended, I stopped shaving...legs and armpits.....and was a somewhat staunch "no-shaver" "seldom bather" because I would just "forget" and also I never ever liked shaving, and the hair on my legs is so faint that I hardly saw the point. I would bathe when I "felt like it", but not every single day......I started shaving more often when I entered my current relationship because that was the standard that he was used to with females....more often though, I just wear stockings and or knee socks so that the presence or absence of hair on my legs is not much of an issue...I did start buying shaving products, and the maintenance of that is rather cumbersome...memo to self: Need to Shave Pits again soon!!.....keep forgetting...have fallen back into old habits.... :? But since he has an adversion to visual nudity and extensive skin to skin contact, I doubt that he has noticed.... :wink:

happydorkgirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

chelle71 wrote:
I use Veet in shower depiliatory cream. Wipe it on my legs and underarms using the soft sponge and by the time the shower water is hot all the hair just comes off with a washer. I shower every day (and most days wash my hair) but I only have to get rid of the leg and underarm hair once a week. The best thing for me is that each time I use the cream, less hair grows back! Yay!! I don't have any hair growing on the back of my calves at all anymore.

Veet burned my skin! I couldn't wear deodorant for over a week because applying it stung so badly. Never again.

I have a hard time getting up and showering but I think that has more to do with the depression side of BP than anything. I haven't dyed my hair (premature graying. Ugh.), shaved my legs, or done any other beauty sorts of things for months. I don't wear makeup and can't use fragrance due to asthma and allergies. I finally found a razor that doesn't leave me with a rash - it turns out I was allergic to whatever was in the goo strip that most companies put on their blades.

...and I do nothing with "down there". I have no reason to - and, even if I did, I would do very little. If he can be hairy so can I.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:24 am

Popsicle wrote:
This is all really interesting to me. I'd call myself NT but I hate that feeling of water clinging to me also. And most towels don't really dry very well. They don't really make those really thirsty kinds (like shamwow) bath size as far as I know.

I also hate the sheets or clothes clinging to me if I put something on or lie down after the shower.

For those who dislike razors on legs have you tried waxing or sugaring? If you get a good waxer (I do not advise doing it at home, go to a professional) that uses soft wax, or try sugaring, it does not hurt. At least, I don't think so. I do have a high pain threshold overall.

If I had a huge really comfy shower or tub I might like it better, but as it is, mostly showers are just messy.

Fabric softener keeps towels from absorbing as well.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 5:14 pm

I was on a swim team from the time I was 8 until I was 16. Shaving was just what we did. Even the boys... Suits were much less revealing then so we didn't bother about our pubic regions, just legs and armpits. One older boy shaved his chest and back.

I do have sensitivities to clothing rubbing against my legs if the hairs are too long.

I don't mind getting dirty if I can get clean but I avoid greasy-grimy situations, like car engines. My mother told me that when I started walking, I wouldn't settle down for bed until she washed my feet. To this day, I take a warm, washcloth to bed with me every night.

And my unibrow! I was Helga as a child. I hate plucking, mostly because I do a bad job but I pluck at least 10-15 hairs every other day. Making matters worse is my right eyebrow muscle (the one that does the Spock eyebrow raise) is more developed than my left one. It's actually pulling my right eyebrow towards my ear. I overlaid 9 photos to chart the migration of the brow and a little mole just above. If I were younger, I would be horrified, but at my age it's best I just be amused and pluck less from the right middle brow. I would not pluck at all if it were socially acceptable to have eyebrows the size of a small cat.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2012, 2:54 am

The only thing I do have issues with is that I'm always concerned about how I smell, so I shower every day. With shaving, I maybe do my legs once a week at least, and my armpits more often. With the pubic area, I still leave a small strip of hair only when I know I'm going to be wearing a swimsuit so nothing shows. The only time I really had a yeast infection, it was from taking an antibiotic for a UTI as it kills the good bacteria as well as the bad stuff. Otherwise, my wearing only cotton underwear and occasionally sleeping commando so that area can breathe has prevented more of those infections.

I do get my eyebrows waxed, but now my hairstylist does the sugaring thing, so I'm going to do that when I need to remove stray hairs. With my upper lip, I tend to use a removal cream for the face, and I set a timer so I don't leave it on too long.

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2012, 7:46 pm

I tend to decide that I want to shower, and then can't force myself up outta the chair. I shave about once a week, my pits are more often. Legs and privates are shaved clean weekly, not for anybody, but me. Every once in a while, I will shave my arms, too.

Nelia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2012, 9:26 pm

I do have a hard time with bathing and shaving. In fact, I pretty much quit shaving everything because I don't like it and I'd rather not. I do use a beard trimmer on the lower beard and underarms to keep things from getting unruly, but that's pretty much it. I don't like bathing or teeth-brushing, but I'm working very hard on making it a habit and a positive experience.

Lazoriss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jan 2012, 1:02 pm

Like a couple of others have said, I'm kind of obsessed with personal hygeine. :B I shower and shave just about every day. I keep my hair combed and pluck stray eyebrow hairs. The funny thing is that I don't mind getting dirty (I volunteered at a Bird Sanctuary where my work was 90% cleaning poop out of cages, washing dishes, and gutting fish) as long as I can get clean again once I'm back home. :D

The only area I have a hard time cleaning each day are my teeth. I often forget to brush and hardly ever floss. :oops:

Last edited by Lazoriss on 21 Jan 2012, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 2:26 pm

thegatekeeper wrote:
I agree with OP... I hate being wet out of the water...I love a hot shower, but dread it as soon as I step out...I particularly hate my hands being wet when the rest of me is dry...I am compelled to dry them off immediately.

My partner doesn't care about whether I've shaved anywhere or not... I usually try to keep up with armpits d/t sensory issues, but my legs in the winter can easily go for a month or two before the hairs start to annoy me and rub on my pants.

Summer/spring makes me anxious because I normally don't think about shaving and feel compelled to for fear of being made fun of for being fuzzy

I do try to shave as much as I can. For me, I actaully have to whether I want to or not. I usaully know when I need a shower once my hair starts to feel greasy, then I shower. It's just harder when I deal with constant routine and balance. My mind is easily prone to panic and anxiety from only the slightest routine break, even if it's important to have to shower every day.

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive