Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 3:02 pm

If you know what one is - or have one and are an Aspie, I'd like to hear your experience. If you don't know what one is, Google is your friend (if you're interested).

I'm struggling with how to deal with something like the need for a pessary when one has AS. I read information written for NTs about how effortless these are to use. I am relieved to have this as an option because the only other option is major surgery, which I can't imagine and also can't pay for (no insurance). So a pessary seemed like the ideal solution, until yesterday when I had one fitted.

I just can't trust my own feelings. I know that I have a very high pain threshold, so I tend to wait way too long to seek help. Over and over this has happened - I only go to the dentist when the infection is so bad they can't believe their eyes and the doctor calls over others to "have a look" because of how bad it is. :( You NEVER want to have something that makes other doctors dying to come over and see.

While I have this high tolerance - I've walked on a broken foot, gave birth at home 3 times, etc etc, I also have a ultra sensitivity to the small small things. The seams on clothing, glare, smells, irritations. There's no way I can explain this but I over deal with the big stuff and under deal with the little stuff.

The pessary apparently fit but the doc keeps asking how it feels. Of course it feels like a foreign body, and it's bugging the living hell out of me, and I laid in bed obsessing on it and making it bigger and bigger in my mind. Today I'm trying to distract my hyper focus and see if it's better. My plan is that if it's fine and just me being obsessive, once I get my mind onto something else I won't notice it. But if it's ill fitted, no amount of distraction will take my mind off the annoyance.

Anyone else have pelvic floor problems and have gotten a pessary to correct it?

-- Emerson

Ynnep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2012, 10:35 pm

I have never heard of one of those, thanks Google! What a great alternative to surgery! I have never given birth but I have walked around with a broken foot yet I can be sidelined by an itchy tag in a tee shirt. I find tampons horribly invasive but I can handle them, is it like that feeling?

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 11:22 pm

Much worse than a tampon.

And although I feel like I'm giving it 100% of my all to try and deal with it, it's not actually serving its purpose and the symptoms of the prolapse are still there, so I am feeling defeated at the moment and thinking surgery will be imminent, which I can't figure out how that will happen. :( I can try to force myself to deal with it IF it's solving the problem but to have this annoying and uncomfortable feeling and still the prolapse, obviously it's a fail.

Aspies, do you tell your doctors that you have AS? Does it matter in how they treat you or help them to understand your sensitivities? I once told my dentist after having multiple panic attacks in the chair, but I haven't told my gyno doc.

-- Emerson

Ynnep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2012, 2:53 pm

I went to a new doctor yesterday and I told her that I have Asperger's, she asked me how long I've had it. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

I have never needed one of those kinds of pessary but I have had to use the medication pessary for thrush treatment. It was the worst experience I have EVER had. Everyone kept saying 'don't worry it doesn't hurt' but it REALLY hurt and until it melted (and then caused an allergic reaction :roll: ) I could feel it sitting there.

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 3:20 pm

That's it exactly. I was told over and over "You won't even know it's there" but every second I had it in I knew it was there. I could not think about anything else.

I'm going to have to have surgery soon and am pretty freaked out. I know it's hard for anyone to have surgery but it seems it's nearly impossible for me. I have had a couple before and everything was much harder than they said it would be - even the medication. They give me 'normal' amounts and I'm so hyper sensitive to drugs that they always cause extra side effects and more problems. Most doctors won't listen when you tell them you're super sensitive and they still prescribe the normal amount. I learned through past experiences to take half as much as they say or less.

Things like this are just harder for Aspies, I think. When the seams on your socks can mess up your whole day by being too annoying, imagine what surgery can do to your senses. :(

-- Emerson