Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

myth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 9:50 pm

I'm too tired to go into too much depth right now but I'll just throw out a couple of points: In regards to racitsts.. you know there are homosexuals and fornicators who believe in the bible too so..... I don't know how people manage to get around that in their minds.

Also, men dressing up as women is mentioned in the bible as something that's not acceptable to god if thats what you were referring to league girl :P

I'll revisit this thread later to give more indepth information :) I was raised an uber-christian and studied the bible very in depth for years. I don't believe in it anymore but I still remember all the stuff so I can answer your questions :)

Nothing is absolute.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2011, 3:09 am

I was really bothered when a friend said to me, "You are unapproachable" I really dont think I am at all "unapproachable" . Being unapproachable requires me deliberately being nasty towards someone when they approach me.....i do not ever do that. It was also annoying because she stated it as if it were a fact about me. In this case I dont know who's standpoint this accusation is coming from, when, and my actions. Plus, now I have too many different responses to choose from...therefore I tend to say nothing and walk away. In this circumstance I said...."I think we are the same" ...which i know was probably really off.

Another time a guy I was dating told me "You are really cold and affectionate". My response "You are really aggressive and immature"

melissa17b
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2011, 6:47 am

Mego wrote:
I was really bothered when a friend said to me, "You are unapproachable" I really dont think I am at all "unapproachable" . Being unapproachable requires me deliberately being nasty towards someone when they approach me.....i do not ever do that.

I have been told something similar, from someone close enough where I could engage in a discussion deep enough to find out what she really meant. It was quite a discovery. I have always thought of myself as very approachable – the kind of person that will go far out of my way for a total stranger. For temporary and other non-close relationships, I truly am very approachable. For example, when someone on the street is looking for directions, I will watch her let a number of people pass by but then stop and ask me. It is uncommon for me to walk a kilometre in a city without being approached at least once for some passing interaction.

However, when it comes to close relationships, I feel that I am inside of a bubble, from which I cannot get out and others cannot get in. The continuous cacophany of random thoughts in my mind do not get shared with anyone. While this is to a small extent by choice, it is much more the result of inability – I find it impossible to organise and verbalise or otherwise express them. Anyone close enough can sense that there is a major part of me that they cannot reach, and this is a source of considerable frustration for them. Not being autistic themselves, it is natural to assume that this is my choice; the concept of being unable to understand or express one's own thoughts is foreign to most. In this sense, I truly am "unapproachable," even though I am rarely if ever nasty to anybody.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 1:55 pm

My ex husband told me all the time that I was "hostile"

Nothing is absolute.

Gaya
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2011, 6:40 pm

I wonder if saving bugs is something specific to women on the spectrum? When I was a kid I used to get teased for getting angry at other kids who killed spiders and insects. Although, a guy who used to tease me ran into me recently and said he had decided I was "right," because he felt guilty when killing spiders in his backyard as an adult.

Other quirks:
-I twirl a broken rubber band in my hand at almost all times.
-I HAVE to sleep with a fan on for the white noise.
-I am obsessed with my pet rats and used to be obsessed with pet bunnies.
-I get extremely upset over things that would only mildly disappoint others - for instance when my book from Amazon didn't come on the expected delivery date, I had an extreme meltdown.
-I respond very negatively to criticism.
-When I am tired, it is hard for me to keep my personality at a "normal" level.
-I have to keep myself from getting very upset when I lose board games.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2011, 3:36 pm

melissa17b wrote:
Mego wrote:
I was really bothered when a friend said to me, "You are unapproachable" I really dont think I am at all "unapproachable" . Being unapproachable requires me deliberately being nasty towards someone when they approach me.....i do not ever do that.

I have been told something similar, from someone close enough where I could engage in a discussion deep enough to find out what she really meant. It was quite a discovery. I have always thought of myself as very approachable – the kind of person that will go far out of my way for a total stranger. For temporary and other non-close relationships, I truly am very approachable. For example, when someone on the street is looking for directions, I will watch her let a number of people pass by but then stop and ask me. It is uncommon for me to walk a kilometre in a city without being approached at least once for some passing interaction.

However, when it comes to close relationships, I feel that I am inside of a bubble, from which I cannot get out and others cannot get in. The continuous cacophany of random thoughts in my mind do not get shared with anyone. While this is to a small extent by choice, it is much more the result of inability – I find it impossible to organise and verbalise or otherwise express them. Anyone close enough can sense that there is a major part of me that they cannot reach, and this is a source of considerable frustration for them. Not being autistic themselves, it is natural to assume that this is my choice; the concept of being unable to understand or express one's own thoughts is foreign to most. In this sense, I truly am "unapproachable," even though I am rarely if ever nasty to anybody.

Thanks for your post. I believe this to be the same for me. Its as if I am constantly "pushing people away" when those are not even my intentions. Its probably the reason why I get along better with guys over girls. Girls are more in touch with being "social" so they pick up on things and tend to internalize them. One of my closest friends is an overly friendly and slightly aggressive girl....she never takes anything I say personally or if I walk by her without saying "Hi" she wont think anything of it. Once, she said ..."I understand her" (referring to me) ....I never realized I was difficult to understand LOL.

Sowlowsolo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm

tentoedsloth wrote:
Wow, we are a bunch of kooks, but nice harmless or even helpful ones.

Luna and others, Do you burn up a lot of pots and/or the food in them because you walked away and forgot about them? Even when I set a timer for 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes I hear it go off and think "I'll just finish this and then go check it" and forget again until I hear that boilover sound or smell burning metal/food.

Do you often have to rewash or redry your laundry because you forgot to take it out? TWICE???

Or do you get in the shower, start thinking about something else, and then can't remember if you washed your hair?

*I've read that ADD or ADHD is common among Asperger's people. It can be just the attention problems.*

OMG I am so pleased and amused to know that it isn't just me who does this - I thought for a moment that I MUST have written the post myself!! :lol:
I do the cooking thing the laundry thing and the shower thing too 8O