Accessible for Women only 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Accessible for anyone but men should refrain from posting 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Helpfull men should also post 62%  62%  [ 36 ]
Total votes : 58

nana80
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2011, 7:19 pm

Shoud there be some function witch disables men from reading and or wrting here?
Should men refrain from writing even though they are technally able to?
Or should the men post if they have helpfull ideas?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

nana80 wrote:
Shoud there be some function witch disables men from reading and or wrting here?

Only if such a function could automatically detect the Y chromosome. Otherwise, there is nothing to prevent a man from changing his stated sex in his personal settings to post in a "Women Only" forum, thereby bypassing any automated "gatekeeper".

nana80 wrote:
Should men refrain from writing even though they are technally able to?

If a man has nothing worthwhile to contribute to a serious discussion, then it would be better for all concerned for him to not post.

nana80 wrote:
Or should the men post if they have helpfull ideas?

Believe it or not, some men may have helpful ideas.

Restricting this forum to women only is not only impractical, it is sexist - it discriminates against men. Also, if there is going to be strict enforcement, then other special interest groups will want their own exclusive forums, as well. Then WrongPlanet will become a website devoted to separatism and isolationism - anathema to any website with a stated intent of bringing people together.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

I dont think thats fair. Afterall this is an autism forum on the whole. Does this mean that NTs cant post here...no. Same concept. Besides its good for guys to learn a more female perspective. I think this section is designed for womens topics but guys are welcome here as well as long as they have something good to say.

idlewild
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2011, 8:13 pm

nana80 wrote:

Would they get a broom and black cat?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 75 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2011, 9:58 pm

There is already an Aspergers site for girls. Hale Bopp linked me there once.

nana80

30 Nov 2011, 5:15 am

I just think, if I want the input of both men and women (yes I do think men usually have something valuable to say) I would ask it in the adult autism forum. But some things I am ashamed to ask in front of a man.

I wouldnt mind if we also had a man's forum, maybe there are things that men want to ask each other without women listening.

But as I see I am in the minority. And I still havent understood the difference between the adult forum and the women forum...

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 6:51 am

nana80 wrote:
I just think, if I want the input of both men and women (yes I do think men usually have something valuable to say) I would ask it in the adult autism forum. But some things I am ashamed to ask in front of a man.

I wouldnt mind if we also had a man's forum, maybe there are things that men want to ask each other without women listening.

But as I see I am in the minority. And I still havent understood the difference between the adult forum and the women forum...

Perhaps you could make a thread here asking to speak to a female member (or members) privately about (insert topic here)

I think forum policy changes are unlikely.

The women's forum is actually the one we have the least problems with; people usually respect the space rather well without having to be bludgeoned.

nana80

30 Nov 2011, 11:45 am

maybe the policies are the reason why its not much frequented:

1) If I don't mind the answers of men I have no reason to write here. I can go to the adult forum or any other

2) If I want to talk to woman only, then I cannot use the womans Discussion but have to find another site

And If the majority really want it like that (and it seems like they do) At least Please, Please policies make it more clear.

The sentence:
This is a place where women can feel safe to be themselves. "Having a male gynecologist is like going to an auto mechanic who doesn't own a car."

simply is missleading at least to a non-native speaker. A "safe place to themselves" by my interpretation would be a place where there are no men or where men do not enter.

maybe change it to something like:
This is a place where topics regariding females with asperger can be discussed by both women and men.

Such a sentance would have saved me a lot of emberassment even though I confess I didnt see the thread about what this forum is for. I simply took it for granted after reading the above sentence, that it is for women only.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:00 pm

Men should be able to read and post in this forum, there are times that it is relevant for a man to need to look at woman's issues, there's still reason to have a women's discussion forum that they should respect.

I'm sure I will, and likely others will, post less than they would if it was a completely private forum, not accessible to the public.

The restriction I think is appropriate is to have the topics not appear on the front page for anyone, but allow anyone to come into this area read, and post.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm

Appliable discussion is being done at the a small clarification thread at the top of this section.

Is there need to have the information about this on two separate threads?.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt255139.html

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 12:19 pm

I understand the need for privacy. But I also think segregation is not a good way to treat this sort of issues.

So, in short, I have NO idea how to solve this problem.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 1:26 pm

you're just bound and determined to split the world in two, aren't you?

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 1:32 pm

noo, if i was a man i'd find it annoying not being able to even look at a whole subsection of the forum. and of course if you read something on a forum and feel you have some valuable input, then it's silly to not be allowed to chip in. like sometimes i find myself reading sections like the parents one, and if i saw a topic where i thought i could help (i may not have children but i er know some etc) i would.
i don't think that many men actually post here regularly anyway (ok, so this thread isn't a good example) and when they do it's usually very sensible/insightful replies

deconstruction
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 2:06 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
you're just bound and determined to split the world in two, aren't you?

Me?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 3:12 pm

"Problem"?

It only becomes a problem when anyone might post abusive comments - sorta like walking into a Victoria's Secret store and making lewd or otherwise offensive comments to the women there - you're not helping anyone, and someone will eventually invite you to leave.

If it's privacy you want, then use the PM function. Then again, there really is no privacy on the Internet.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2011, 3:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
and someone will eventually "invite" you to leave using their fists and feet.

Fixed that for you. ;)