is there link between asperger and anorexia

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 7:04 pm

read a study once, that alot of asperger women suffer from anorexia but I don't know if that is
true or not. here a link http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 99,00.html

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jan 2013, 1:13 am

This is true. It's thought 1 in 7 women with anorexia are on the autistic spectrum (this includes undiagnosed autistics).

Adherance to change, repetitive behavior ect. leads to many autistic individuals developing anorexia.

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2013, 1:19 am

I struggled with anorexia for 5 years starting at the age of 12

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2013, 6:38 am

I think it's like anything else, ppl w/ AS tend toward extremes. Eating is no different.
I am sure there are many autistic anorexics. I am sure that there are as many binge eaters who went towards the other extreme.

Shizz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2013, 3:11 pm

i went a bit overboard with not eating. Food seemed gross to me after not eating it and I got a lot of energy from burning my own fat cells. Food calms me down though, especially pizza. As soon as I hit 100 lbs i go into anorexia mode.

Eloquaint
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm

Someone explained it to me this way: anxiety is part and parcel of Asperger's. One of the things that an eating disorder does is provide a sense of control. It gives you a channel for obsessive thoughts, and a special interest, and a structure for your days. It's perfect-except that it's killing you.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2013, 9:34 am

I found it illogical behavior so it wasn't an interest of mine. Two of my sisters were more bulimic but they have no AS.

sreynlmsw
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2013, 10:36 am

About a year ago I stopped eating. I was 45 years old. I went from 129 to 102 lbs within just a few months. It wasn't a self-esteem issue, I liked how I looked at 120-125. I worked out a lot and I was loving my buff bod and taught, juicy booty. I just suddenly started losing the weight. Somehow I became afraid of food. I'm a picky eater, but I've always had my favorites. But nothing sounded good. I forced myself to eat sometimes, and sometimes I would just drink supplements during the day just to keep me going. I stopped going to the gym because I just felt sick and wore-down most of the time.

I had every test imaginable, had my gallbladder removed because it was dysfunctional, but the rest of my tests came back normal and I still didn't gain weight after my surgery.

About a month ago my appetite suddenly returned. I'm still not where I was. I'm about 110-114 now, which I am ok with.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2013, 8:36 pm

I myself have recovered from anorexia. Sought help for it in 04, and stayed in therapy until 08.

There is so many facets to it though, I can't exactly quantify it in just one sentence.

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2013, 12:49 pm

sreynlmsw wrote:
About a year ago I stopped eating. I was 45 years old. I went from 129 to 102 lbs within just a few months. It wasn't a self-esteem issue, I liked how I looked at 120-125. I worked out a lot and I was loving my buff bod and taught, juicy booty. I just suddenly started losing the weight. Somehow I became afraid of food. I'm a picky eater, but I've always had my favorites. But nothing sounded good. I forced myself to eat sometimes, and sometimes I would just drink supplements during the day just to keep me going. I stopped going to the gym because I just felt sick and wore-down most of the time.

I had every test imaginable, had my gallbladder removed because it was dysfunctional, but the rest of my tests came back normal and I still didn't gain weight after my surgery.

About a month ago my appetite suddenly returned. I'm still not where I was. I'm about 110-114 now, which I am ok with.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Not that severe but I am similar. I think I look ok at my current weight (~140) but I am a picky eater and often food just looks so disgusting and I can't eat it. If I force myself it tastes like dirt. I have been as low as 125 and I'm very tall so that was quite thin for my height.

My appetite just comes and goes... I don't think it was much do with body image in my case.

ypestisflea
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Feb 2013, 10:52 am

I have had food related issues for a solid chunk of my life now. Over the years it evolved from anorexia alone to an out-of-control (but perceived in-control) hodgepodge of anorexia, bulimia, and binge disorder. This year I managed to get my weight under control, avoiding any huge fluctuations, but it hasn't been very long so I don't want to be too optimistic. :roll: While I am better than I have been in a long time (snri's proved to be very helpful for me), I still have a lot of control issues when it comes to eating.