Do you consider women that used to be men as women?

Page 4 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

30 Sep 2012, 3:11 am

Yeah, I guess. If the gender changes, then the gender changes. That's it.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 10:32 pm

creastae wrote:

That's not physically possible. Human beings cannot change their sex. I don't know why so many people seem to have trouble understanding this.

Quote:
Assuming that they look, sound, act 100% female and have female genitalia.

Also "look, sound, act 100% female" is undoubtedly full of meaningless, misogynistic stereotypes. Female human beings have all sorts of looks, voices, and behaviors, and they are not uniquely female.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 9:01 pm

Of course, I would. :roll:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm

starkid wrote:
creastae wrote:

That's not physically possible. Human beings cannot change their sex. I don't know why so many people seem to have trouble understanding this.

That's because your personal definition of what constitutes a person's "sex" isn't particularly relevant to the rest of us.

And don't pull the, "Science says so," crap.

"Science" says nothing of the sort.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

07 Oct 2012, 1:43 pm

Yes. If someone considers herself to be a woman then I respect that and refer to/consider her as such.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 4:58 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:

That's because your personal definition of what constitutes a person's "sex" isn't particularly relevant to the rest of us.

The irony. I don't have a personal definition of sex. You are projecting. The OP makes a post asking about humans changing sex, and I'm the one with a personal definition of sex? lol.
Quote:

It doesn't have to say so explicitly. It's way too obvious that people can't change sex.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 7:59 pm

starkid wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

The irony. I don't have a personal definition of sex. You are projecting. The OP makes a post asking about humans changing sex, and I'm the one with a personal definition of sex? lol.
Quote:

It doesn't have to say so explicitly. It's way too obvious that people can't change sex.

What the OP means is, "Do you consider a male-to-female transsexual to be a woman?"

And I do.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2012, 1:28 pm

starkid wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Quote:

Several medical conditions can result in a natural sex change in humans, where the appearance at birth is somewhat, mostly, or completely of one sex, but changes over the course of a lifetime to being somewhat, mostly or completely of the other sex. The overwhelming majority of natural sex changes are from a female appearance at birth to a male appearance after puberty, due to either 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (5alpha-RD-2) or 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency (17beta-HSD-3). A relative handful of male to female changes have been reported, and the etiologies of these are not well understood.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 11:08 am

starkid wrote:
]

You have a personal definition of sex.

If you think chromosomes are the only component of a person that defines their "sex," then you have a personal, and not very accurate definition of "sex."

Quote:

Science doesn't "imply it either."

It has no opinion of whether people can "change sex."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 11:10 am

antifeministfrills wrote:
starkid wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Quote:

Several medical conditions can result in a natural sex change in humans, where the appearance at birth is somewhat, mostly, or completely of one sex, but changes over the course of a lifetime to being somewhat, mostly or completely of the other sex. The overwhelming majority of natural sex changes are from a female appearance at birth to a male appearance after puberty, due to either 5-alpha-reductase deficiency (5alpha-RD-2) or 17-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency (17beta-HSD-3). A relative handful of male to female changes have been reported, and the etiologies of these are not well understood.

And there ya go, confusing people with facts. :D

weeOne
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Oct 2012, 12:32 pm

Glorifel wrote:
Yes, because they are women.

I agree. Just because this isn't something I'd undertake (I am quite surgery-phobic) and I admittedly don't fully comprehend, I totally accept that some people are born gender-erroneous.

I can only try to imagine what it's like to be in the wrong gendered body, but it's really hard because of my AS. It's like trying to imagine what it's like to have the ability to urinate standing up.

To be honest, I think it's really not my business and I have too many AS issues to sort through.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2012, 4:52 pm

creastae wrote:
Assuming that they look, sound, act 100% female and have female genitalia.

If I didn't know, I'd be fooled if they looked and sounded like a woman (duh) but if I found out/were told they were born male (or opposite), I would stop looking at them as female (or male, whatever the case might be), and just be awkward TBH. this isn't PC, but it's just too weird for me.

No, if I know, I don't consider them to be women. I would never feel comfortable referring to said person as "she" 'cause in my eyes they wouldn't be.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 2:38 pm

I don't consider them to be women. I don't care what they did to make themselves look like one. To me, if they weren't born with the parts, they aren't true women. Just my humble opinion; take it or leave it as you will.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2012, 3:55 pm

I don't know what is the difference between considering someone as a man or a woman. It all feels the same to me.

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2012, 6:43 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't know what is the difference between considering someone as a man or a woman. It all feels the same to me.

For the easily offended, I know this is full of stereotypes, because I'm explaining how a typical person would view gender.
If you consider someone a man, you refer to him by male gender pronouns, for a start. You'd expect him to be attracted to women and predominantly socialize with other men. If you didn't know that he was a man from like, people referring to him as such, then you might gain that knowledge from observing his physical appearance - short hair, facial hair, unstyled eyebrows, being sat with legs spread apart instead of crossed over, Adam's apple, etc etc. Gender has a huge impact on social interaction. Seeing no difference between male and female is either the radical, well-intended but wrong (imo) political ideology of a NT or in AS, socially stifling.
When the men and women in the photos take on not just the other’s clothing, but also their postures, we can see how certain ways of holding or displaying our bodies are gendered — that we perceive them as feminine or masculine, and see them more often from one or the other gender.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 11:05 am

^ The women look much less silly when adopting the men's clothes and postures than vice versa. I wonder if that tells us something...