Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TVer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

Right now I take the pill for birth control, but I want to switch because I often forget to take my pill daily. I'm considering switching to the implant method because it lasts 3 years without having to do anything daily. I was wondering if anyone has used it before and what they thought of it. I know that IUDs last five years, but I have problems with it.

I have an appointment with my public health center to talk about it tomorrow. I'd really like to hear opinions from people who have used it, not just the doctor's information on it.

OddMommy03
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm

I currently have the 10 year IUD and it seems to be working pretty well for me (knock on wood). I had it inserted in April 2011 after having my son in December 2010. I had my daughter then
my son back to back, so I definitely needed a long term method. I have the one with no hormones so no crazy side effects, just heavier menstrual bleeding and cramping (ouch). It's definitely an outta sight, outta mind method, though. Nothing to remember or think about, other than checking your strings occasionally. I recommend it!

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2013, 11:41 pm

Make sure you do your own research, too. Don't just trust everything the Doctor says. I'm not saying you can't trust them but they don't know everything and sometimes they're more interested in money than helping people.
If I was a woman, I would not get this. I wouldn't let anyone to put something in my body for 3 years and just trust that it's only doing what they said it is. Look at the crap they put in vaccinations, it's completely unnecessary and disgusting!!
They put fluoride in some toothpaste but any decent dentist or someone that simply googles it, can easily find out that it can be very bad for you. Especially kids.

TVer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm

I have done my own research, I've been researching it for a while. I actually posted because I wanted to get people who have used it's opinions. I've been on the pill for 3 or so years now but my forgetfulness makes it non ideal as my birth control method and I'd honestly rather have a little tube in my arm for three years than a baby in me for 9 months plus 18+ years of care and the risk of more babies along the way.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:29 am

Was your problem with the IUD discomfort with feeling it inside you? If so, you might be just as uncomfortable with the implant under your skin. Maybe you could try the birth control patch? You don't have to remember those as often as taking pills.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 7:32 am

Copper Spirale <- also lasts 3 years and cant be forgotten ^^

+: One of the oldest anti-child methods, so no unknown problems.

+: No hormons.

TVer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2013, 8:18 am

My problems with IUDs actually come more from my moral front than the physical front. I have deep moral problems with IUDs where I would personally not feel right using it even though I know it's a form that works for a lot of women. I didn't mention it before because of my tenancy to be attacked for my moral beliefs.

Also, birth control hormones have actually been one of the best mood stabilizers I've ever had. It really minimizes the amount of psychiatric medication I need to be on dramatically.

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2013, 11:42 am

I've posted a few times in response to women in this forum considering implants... don't do it. Once it's in there, you're stuck with it regardless of the side effects until your doctor and yourself eventually give up and cut it out.
For me, it worked well for 8-9 months, and then the hormone level dropped just enough that I was stuck in a constant state of menstruation. They tried oral hormones multiple times to get my body back on a cycle, which kind of defeated the whole purpose of getting the implant to avoid having to remember to take pills. I spent *months* bleeding before finally having it removed.

My gynecologist informed me that she is no longer recommending implants to any of her patients, because every single one has had to have it removed before reaching 3 years. It's just impossible to control it once it's in there and something goes wrong.

I moved from the implant to the NuvaRing. It's been great - you leave it in for 3-4 weeks and then take it out for 1 week. I haven't had any issues with it. I use a calendar on my computer and phone to mark all my "ring in" and "ring out" days ahead of time, and they pop up with notifications when it's time. It's like having an implant, only you have control over it.

I hope this helped, or was at least informative :)

TVer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

I have actually been thinking about the ring and the doctor said it was likely a good option for me too. I just worry about how to put it in and take it out.

andriarose
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2013, 2:58 am

It's made of squishy plastic. When you put it in, you squish it to the point that it's more narrow than an average tampon and slide it in. It's springy enough that it stays inside you. Taking it out is really easy - you just bear down, hook it with a finger, and tug. It's a little strange at first, but it doesn't take long to get used to it.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm

my friends IUD went deep inside and there was heavy bleeding
doctor recommended surgery
its common and happens with many people
so i never went for IUD
About implants not heard of them here in india.

TVer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2013, 6:09 pm

It sounds like the ring Is inserted the same way as the Softcup menstrual cup. If that's the case them I think the ring will become my new method.