Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2024, 5:05 pm

If you have experienced sensory overload with a doctor (example - gynecologist), how did you cope with the situation? I have no idea how to deal with what I am experiencing right now. I walked out of a meeting in which I was supposed to receive some very traumatic health news. What would you do? Thank you for your responses.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2024, 10:59 am

Prior to my diagnosis, I have jumped a foot off the table, I have cried uncontrollably, I have shutdown and gone mute. Now with my diagnosis, for physical aspects, I strive to have my expectations set (will it be a pinch, numbness, pressure). For emotional, I strive to set their expectations (time to process the information: sometimes just going to the bathroom and washing my hands is sufficient, or else scheduling a follow up call, etc.) For one particular follow-up phone call I had a list of questions and still cried uncontrollably through it. Ah, well. Meditating beforehand would have been more comfortable for my provider, but really I was long overdue to cry. I had a ten-year ordeal and didn't cry enough. I switched drs twice to find ones with the "bedside" manner I required.