Do any aspie gals here ENJOY dressing up/makeup?

Page 1 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Azureth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2013, 10:34 pm

Now I am not at all putting down those who don't, but I hear from aspie women again and again they do not like dressing up, makeup traditional girly things etc. So I was just curious if there are any aspie women here that enjoy it.

Fluffpuffgerbil
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Apr 2013, 1:38 am

I don't like it. I usually avoid it...

It's funny you mention this since I was just thinking about it earlier due to a comment my mom made about me wearing unattractive shorts.

I'm 16, a girl, and I don't like wearing anything like this generations' "fashion". I hate the thin, clingy fabric, loud obnoxious colours with logos plastered all over, and things too revealing where you have to wear three layers of shirts to make it appropriate.
My mom expressed distaste in the fact that I like to wear baggy knee-length shorts for guys. At home she doesn't mind, but she does in public.... I don't wear them often, but it is getting hotter out. And she also said they did nothing for me(the shorts) and I'm not showing people that I'm actually a "cute girl".... Yeah, I don't really care at this point in my life about showing people I'm a "cute girl". (I'm not self-conscious about how I look, and I do like dressing up once a year or something, but I HATE girly makeup.)
I usually never wear makeup, but when I do, I'm cosplaying and it's to either just smooth out my skin since my character is a cartoon character, or I'm trying to make my faceshape more guy-like, since I'm usually cosplaying guys. I haven't cosplayed a girl yet, really.

My preferred outfit is some comfy skinny-trousers/jeans and a button up shirt(either flannel or white) and either tennis shoes or boots, little to no heel. I do have some neutral coloured dresses/long tank tops that I like to wear, and also I do like peasant skirts.

Maybe I'll want to dress girlier when I'm older and actually care about wanting a boyfriend. XD

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 7:55 am

YES! Very much so! I'm 52 now and there's is SO much stuff out there that I'm too old for now but I get it all for my teen-aged niece. So much variety. It's truly wonderful. Because of my age, I get to really see repeated trends in dress, shoes and hair styles too. I strongly suggest that a girl pay the money and get a decent hair cut at a better salon because if your style is nicely cut, you ALWAYS look good. I used make-up for the first time at the age of 14. It was an AZIZA eye shadow product. It was a brown color with irredescent purple in it.
I think sometimes that the reason many aspie girls don't wear make-up is because of skin sensitivities. Once you're made uncomfortable and don't know the reason why, you give up. That happened to me in regards to mascaras. Once I found CLINIQUE products, and the less-expensive ALMAY, I was happy. Covergirl is pretty gentle too. In my opinion, MAYBELLINE makes the best mascara but it really bothers my eyes. I can't stand lipsticks with perfumes in them. Everytime you lick your lips, you get a swallow of perfume - it's not necessary!! These OTHER things that I mentioned are probably the reason some Aspies don't care for make-up.
Another biggie - the ammonia smell and scalp burn of some hair coloring products. Ammonia free is best but it still stinks and at time can STING as well. If you're a contact lens wearer, powders will make your eyes miserable - powder blush, especially powder eye shadow. Aspie aren't keen on taking punishment just to look nice especially if they feel they're just fine as they are. :)

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 8:06 am

Why should I? So I am more pretty for others. Ok...and that gives me....? I hate it, it simply wasted time that I could used so much better.

And the funny thing is that people expect ME that I even waste more time, by going to work and wasting my money to afford that useless stuff, I dont want to spend my time with, so I look prettier for them. Yep sure. And my office would look so much nicer if it was full of Star Wars posters. So according to social habbits someone should feel happy now to work and spend his loan for posters, spend his time for fixing them upon my office walls, and be happy about it that that my office now looks prettier for me.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 8:15 am

Fluffpuffgerbil wrote:
\
My mom expressed distaste in the fact that I like to wear baggy knee-length shorts for guys.

I got a couple pairs of shorts like that last year. When it's hot I sometimes feel like wearing shorts but I won't wear any that go above the knee. My mother doesn't care. She doesn't dress girly or wear make-up either.

I also wore those shorts without shaving my legs. I quit shaving my legs years ago.

I have no reason to "pretty" myself up for other people. I'd rather be comfortable. I also think it's sexist that it's just fine for a man to be walking around without makeup and hairy legs but it's not ok for me.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 8:28 am

Yes I do. When there is a special function like my parents anniversary dinner, or a concert that I will be in, or going to I want to get better makup and hair done. Being a music major in college and singing in various concerts, at that time, mom did my hair and makeup. Of course she did it tons better than me. But sometimes for no reasons I like to get my hair done and I feel so much better.

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

No :o I find both makeup and anything but jeans and t-shirt far too itchy and I just can't stand it. Tags in shirts bother me, and the texture of jeans bother me, but I just can not stand tights and foundation especially. Then again, I am much younger than most people here, so maybe I'll get used to it in time :o

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 11:02 am

Nope, cba any more. Just wear a bit of eye make up when the spirit moves me.

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 11:55 am

puddingmouse wrote:

cba?

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

I love dressing up and make-up. You'd never guess by looking at me, though. I'm too poor to afford nice clothes and nobody sees me all day so makeup is really a waste of money.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

cba?

Can't be arsed

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

I like acquiring different colors more than wearing makeup, but I don't mind it. It only takes me about five minutes anyway.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 4:15 pm

im autistic and ive always been intrested in wearing makeup and styling my hair ever since i was an early teen.

my husband dont like me wearing makeup. he says he will still love me just as much without it, but i dont wear it to attract people, i wear it because i want to and i have done for years.

amapola
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Apr 2013, 4:46 pm

I like to dress up.I love bright colours,shiny,revealing things.I wear this at school,when I go for a walk.I also wear a lot of jewelry, I use make up.I do this because it`s my style.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 May 2013, 7:39 am

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

I used to (but do not currently) consider myself a femme lesbian. Now, it's just femme.

anneyce

01 May 2013, 12:12 pm

I do enjoy dressing up, unless I'm too lazy, but when I go out, I put on make up and dress nicely, yet the clothes must not irritate or be uncomfy. Same applies to make up, I can only tolerate it when I almost don't feel it on my face. I'm mostly using Maybelline and MAC, maybe some have other recommendations?