Page 6 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 12:38 am

CaroleTucson wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
So is it really equality or have modern women been groomed by the fashion industry into dressing the way men want them to under the clever guise of gender equality?

No, the fashion industry offers what's in demand.

The fashion industry, like the auto industry, lives by creating demand and by convincing us that what we have is "outdated". But you don't generate headlines by designing comfortable, modest, everyday things to wear. You generate headlines by being outrageous. It should be called the "outrageous industry."

Actually no, they both live by trying to be as close to the new trends as possible and also try and predict upcoming trends. While it does tke someone going away from the old trend to create a new one you can't force onto people what they want. Otherwise there would never have been a bad selling car.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 1:48 am

Verdandi wrote:
It amazes me that men would use such a dehumanizing excuse. Men are not primitive apes incapable of controlling their urges. They're just as human and just as capable of controlling themselves as women.
Sadly a lot of women view us men that way! Even if were completly civilized and don't act on our urges and go about our own business! Thats why I kind of act indifferent towards most women and ignore them so they dont get the idea Im just wanting to just jump into their panties and I have better things to do whether they like it or not.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2013, 10:00 am

MXH wrote:
CaroleTucson wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
So is it really equality or have modern women been groomed by the fashion industry into dressing the way men want them to under the clever guise of gender equality?

No, the fashion industry offers what's in demand.

The fashion industry, like the auto industry, lives by creating demand and by convincing us that what we have is "outdated". But you don't generate headlines by designing comfortable, modest, everyday things to wear. You generate headlines by being outrageous. It should be called the "outrageous industry."

Actually no, they both live by trying to be as close to the new trends as possible and also try and predict upcoming trends. While it does tke someone going away from the old trend to create a new one you can't force onto people what they want. Otherwise there would never have been a bad selling car.

Why do you think the advertising industry exists? To convince us that what we have is no longer "fashionable". They don't always succeed ... as you point out, not everything is a best-seller. But without this, there would not be the so-called "demand" for new things every year that aren't better, they're just different.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jul 2013, 3:58 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
It amazes me that men would use such a dehumanizing excuse. Men are not primitive apes incapable of controlling their urges. They're just as human and just as capable of controlling themselves as women.
Sadly a lot of women view us men that way! Even if were completly civilized and don't act on our urges and go about our own business! Thats why I kind of act indifferent towards most women and ignore them so they dont get the idea Im just wanting to just jump into their panties and I have better things to do whether they like it or not.

In a society that makes excuses for bad behavior from men (not you, necessarily, but such men do exist) it is not surprising that there are women who accept that men as a category are really like that.

Also, generally speaking, taking a defensive posture around men is often a self-defense strategy, and typically a strategy based not simply on assumptions but also on prior negative experiences.

As far as the fashion industry goes, it doesn't surprise me that MXH and The_Face_of_Boo don't seem to have a proper idea of how it works. However, it really does not operate by identifying what women really want to wear and selling it. It operates by pushing fashions, advertising those fashions, selling those fashions, and getting people to want to wear those fashions. Fashion magazines are a big part of this process, as they provide exposure.

And advertising really is about convincing people they want or need something that they may not want or need.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2013, 7:56 pm

Verdandi wrote:
And advertising really is about convincing people they want or need something that they may not want or need.

...or even know the existence of. :?

former_hermit
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2013, 1:55 am

There are people who identify as men who wear dresses and skirts, and I'm including people who are biologically men in that statement.

It is a concept of respect. You would not, should not, reach out and touch somebody without their permission, regardless of what they are wearing. Nobody should be objectified, either. It is dehumanizing by definition.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 5:03 am

Quote:
As far as the fashion industry goes, it doesn't surprise me that MXH and The_Face_of_Boo don't seem to have a proper idea of how it works. However, it really does not operate by identifying what women really want to wear and selling it. It operates by pushing fashions, advertising those fashions, selling those fashions, and getting people to want to wear those fashions. Fashion magazines are a big part of this process, as they provide exposure.

Yes, it does, since why some advertising about certain fashion don't work, what works are the things in demand and desired.

n0heq
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2013, 10:11 am

former_hermit wrote:
There are people who identify as men who wear dresses and skirts, and I'm including people who are biologically men in that statement.

It is a concept of respect. You would not, should not, reach out and touch somebody without their permission, regardless of what they are wearing. Nobody should be objectified, either. It is dehumanizing by definition.

I'm a 100% manly man who is pleased to be a father & a husband. I wear skirts & dresses for their comfort factor on the mature male anatomy. Wearing a pleated miniskirt has its limitations such as windy days or climbing steps. I choose my garments based upon my planned activities & the weather. An flannel lined ankle length skirt in a blizzard makes more sense than a micro miniskirt. javascript:emoticon(':)')

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 7:07 am

hurtloam wrote:
Please excuse me, I'm not very good at putting ideas into words, but I've been thinking about this and wondered what others thought.

I've been following some feminist threads on twitter because I like being treated with respect and I am all for building female self-esteem. I've noticed that a common trend is that women want to dress sexily, but without receiving unwanted male attention. It's ok if a guy they fancy gives them attention, as long as he's not groping them without permission, but you, yes you, weirdo on the train, don't look at me or I'll gouge your eyes out! Fair enough, no one wants some random guy stroking their leg on the train to work, but why advertise what you don't want to give away? Why not cover up the bits that men want to look at and touch? Wouldn't that signal that you don't want them to look at or touch those out-of-bounds areas?

I will be the first to admit that I don't have the legs for a mini skirt. But I don't understand them from a pratical point of view. If I bend over I want to be safe in the knowledge that no one will see my underpants. My shortest skirts are knee length for that reason. But women are complaining that they should be able to wear short skirts as a matter of gender equality. Is it equality? Men don't feel the need to show their thighs off on a night out. I don't see any men in the city centre on a Saturday night in short shorts or mini sarongs. So is it really equality or have modern women been groomed by the fashion industry into dressing the way men want them to under the clever guise of gender equality?

Do I misunderstand because I am a practical dresser rather than a fashionista?

Oh, sweetie.
You obviously don't hang out at the gay scene, do you? :mrgreen:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 12:16 pm

What did you resurrect this for. Argh

This was some musings from years ago. Damn internet not letting old ideas die.

I have a lower opinion of men now and I won't dress to please or displease them. If they have an issue they can look away.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 12:19 pm

hurtloam wrote:
What did you resurrect this for. Argh

This was some musings from years ago. Damn internet not letting old ideas die

It wasn't Pepe that resurrected it, a spammer posted a weblink and I reported it. Pepe is innocent! Free Pepe! :jester:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 12:20 pm

Ah, I see. Can we get this locked please.