Page 7 of 12 [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 10:33 pm

That's a good argument for keeping the lid closed, t'is true.
But doesn't everyone check whether the seat is up or down before doing their business? :shrug: It must be a real hurry to do otherwise.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 11:10 pm

Shatbat wrote:
there is absolutely no reason to keep either the lid or the seat down except for "it looks nice that way" (I assume it is flushed and clean)

If you live alone, then no there is no reason. If you live with females, that changes.
In my family we are two females and one male. We have one toilet. We all sit down when we dispose of feces. Two of sit down to urinate. The toilet is obviously used most with the seat down. Therefore I find it reasonable that the only person out of three who ever use the toilet with the seat up (and only to half of his needs), leave it down when he's done.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 2:19 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
"It looks nice that way" is a valid reason for a lot of people, it's the same reason they tidy up in general, e.g. make their bed, put their clothes away, etc. I have sliding doors to my wardrobe (so they are not in the way of walking), it would be more convenient to leave them open. I don't though, same as I don't leave the toilet lid up.

OK, I'll grant that "it looks nice that way" is a valid reason, but that's really a matter of what you're accustomed to. I also have sliding doors on my wardrobe, I leave them open and I don't perceive that as untidy, because it's the "normal" state of the room for me. (In rare cases when I'm expecting a visitor I'll close them if I remember to.)

hartzofspace wrote:
The reason the toilet lid is kept down is that when flushing, a fine spray of bacteria is airborne and will coat everything within the immediate vicinity of the toilet (such as toothbrushes, etc. if the lid is left open. Hope that clarifies issues! 8)

Interesting, I don't think I've ever considered that! Not that I've observed many others flushing toilets (and certainly no females), but I can't recall ever seeing (or hearing) anyone closing the lid before flushing. So I guess it hasn't occurred to those other males, either. But is there actually evidence for the spray of bacteria or is it just a conjecture?

Skilpadde wrote:
The toilet is obviously used most with the seat down. Therefore I find it reasonable that the only person out of three who ever use the toilet with the seat up (and only to half of his needs), leave it down when he's done.

But it is not a matter of leaving it down, it's a matter of putting it down. This requires effort, which is potentially wasted. Having more females in the household only makes it "less inefficient", but does not make it "not inefficient".

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 3:04 am

Shatbat wrote:
That's a good argument for keeping the lid closed, t'is true.
But doesn't everyone check whether the seat is up or down before doing their business? :shrug: It must be a real hurry to do otherwise.

Our origin toilette is very small, so you have to enter it already with the backside in the right direction. You cant turn in it. (The house was built around 1925, and had in origin no toilette, it was added later under the stairway between lower and upper level.) Beside that men dont even need for half of their businesses the lid up. There is a reason to sit down on the toilet, because peeing into the toilette from a distance of make sprinkles, and a toilet should be a clean room that is comforting you, not an ugly, creepy room with piss sprinkles everywhere.

That doesnt mean that I would forbid any man to pee standing on my toilette, it is his free right to choose how he wants to pee, but that a men doing so is expected to clean that piss sprinkles afterward, because it is my free right to choose not to clean other peoples unnecessary created piss sprinkles. And I think grown up men nowadays are mature enough to understand that I am not their mommy, and if they create a mess, it is on them to remove their own mess they decided to create by free will, themselves. If I came into their house and would decide to spread without necessity piss sprinkles at their floor and mobiliar, they would expect me as well to clean that. Because of me hardly seeing ever anyone taking the wet broom and cleaning the toilette afterwards using it, I hardly expect the toilette seat to be up.

And before anyone wants to ask. We have milk glass windows at the upper area of our toilette door.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 5:10 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Just for the record, the reason that toilet seats should be kept down, is so that a female who has to pee in a hurry doesn't land on the hard, unforgiving and slippery toilet rim. The reason the toilet lid is kept down is that when flushing, a fine spray of bacteria is airborne and will coat everything within the immediate vicinity of the toilet (such as toothbrushes, etc. if the lid is left open. Hope that clarifies issues! 8)

Things that boys don't care about. 8)

I've always closed the lid because I don't like seeing the water violently swirl around in the bowl. It's always been an odd phobia of mine :oops:

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 5:37 am

hartzofspace wrote:
Just for the record, the reason that toilet seats should be kept down, is so that a female who has to pee in a hurry doesn't land on the hard, unforgiving and slippery toilet rim. The reason the toilet lid is kept down is that when flushing, a fine spray of bacteria is airborne and will coat everything within the immediate vicinity of the toilet (such as toothbrushes, etc. if the lid is left open. Hope that clarifies issues! 8)

Actually, my microbiology teacher discussed this very issue one day in class, as a funny/gross topic. She said that when you flush it does send bacteria up into the air, but that it doesn't really matter if you leave the lid closed or open, they're going to be floating around for a few hours anyways and that if you open the lid again in that timeframe they come right on out.

I always put the toilet seat down myself, partly because I have a pet and I don't want her drinking any toilet water lol. But one good reason to keep the seat up (and why I always keep the seat up in public restrooms) is that it minimizes how much hand contact you have to make with the toilet, meaning less chance to get some nasty bacteria on your hands, and less gross factor. Washing should take care of most of them, but may not get them all!

BTW, this seemed the appropriate topic to post this, I saw it on yahoo news yesterday and it cracked me up:
http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Elegance-EZ- ... B004ANM6C8

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 5:56 am

Quote:
Actually, my microbiology teacher discussed this very issue one day in class, as a funny/gross topic. She said that when you flush it does send bacteria up into the air, but that it doesn't really matter if you leave the lid closed or open, they're going to be floating around for a few hours anyways and that if you open the lid again in that timeframe they come right on out.

If you want additional reasons. It keeps the rats out in flats that are linked to older sewers. It keeps the cat from drinking water out of the toilette, for what she steps into the sink of it, because of her neck being not long enough and afterwards jumping with her toilette wet feet through the rest of the flat. Additional it also prevents the cat from drinking without purpose minor rests of toilette cleaning stuff. It lowers the amount of air changed above the sink, by closing the toilette, because of that less water evaporates, and so you get less lime edges at the water edge of the sink, you have to f*****g scrub. And it keeps water from spreading out, when you flush, and so preventing lime edges from that water sprinkles on the floor, you have to f*****g scrub.

Isnt it great what knowledge microbiology teacher could achieve, if they wouldnt only talk about toilettes, but as well clean them from now and them? I am pretty sure in the life-time your teacher wasted talking about that topic, he could have raised and closed toilet lids 250 times.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2013, 11:44 am

FMX wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
The reason the toilet lid is kept down is that when flushing, a fine spray of bacteria is airborne and will coat everything within the immediate vicinity of the toilet (such as toothbrushes, etc. if the lid is left open. Hope that clarifies issues! 8)

Interesting, I don't think I've ever considered that! Not that I've observed many others flushing toilets (and certainly no females), but I can't recall ever seeing (or hearing) anyone closing the lid before flushing. So I guess it hasn't occurred to those other males, either. But is there actually evidence for the spray of bacteria or is it just a conjecture?

Take a gander at this:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012 ... a-disease/

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2013, 11:52 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
BTW, this seemed the appropriate topic to post this, I saw it on yahoo news yesterday and it cracked me up:
http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Elegance-EZ- ... B004ANM6C8

I have achieved that convenience from using a funnel. There is a nature park I like to visit, that doesn't have any restrooms. It beats having to hold it till I get to a bathroom! :)

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

hartzofspace wrote:

Thanks. I'm always impressed when someone can back their statement with a scientific study. :)

Having said that, I'm not convinced by this particular study. They measured air samples at most 25 cm above the toilet and surface contamination no higher than the top of the cistern. I think we can agree that it's inadvisable to keep your toothbrushes in either of those places. :) Unfortunately, they did not test the rest of the room. Also, you'd have to wonder if this is all negligible compared to the bacteria sprayed during, err... actual use. My conclusion from this would be to take more care with your toothbrush, rather than with your flushing.

Ah, trust those males to send a discussion in women's forum into the toilet...

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 10:12 pm

Oh my, I thought is was random or L&D or adult, now I feel a bit like an intruder :lol:. But all in all, it has been a nice thread so far and even toilets make for interesting discussion.

So there IS a reason to close the lid then. Good thing I have that habit then :lol:. To be fair though, ignorance is bliss, and if I can't taste them and they don't make me sick then a bunch of extra bacteria floating around won't do me much harm, if I don't get sick in public bathrooms then my private one won't be likely to kill me. There is a disadvantage though, some of those newfangled toilets don't flush well and leaving a "surprise" for the next user demonstrates poor manners. A open lid gives me visual to whether that was the case.

On the flush ---> bacteria thing, Germans do the sensible thing. Their "Badenzimmer" (where the shower/bath and toothbrushes-cleaning supplies are) and their "Toilette" (self explanatory) are kept in separate rooms. I wonder if that's the case in Austria too.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 11:40 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
Just for the record, the reason that toilet seats should be kept down, is so that a female who has to pee in a hurry doesn't land on the hard, unforgiving and slippery toilet rim.

Does that actually happen? As a guy, I do have to sit for some toilet activities, but I have never in my life accidentally sat on the rim instead of the seat. I can see why the rim would be unpleasant to sit on, but why would you sit on it, knowing it to be unpleasant?

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:27 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
Quote:
We crave hugs and hand-holding too. And no, it doesn't always have to lead to sex ... but if it does, so much the better!

That still makes it feel like he's "hoping for it", "thinking about it", or something along those lines, i.e. you haven't said that hugging and hand-holding can be just that, which it can for females.

Actually he did say that it can just be that. I'm actually a bit perturbed that two females interpreted what he said to be the opposite of what he said.

He's quite right about this (though not everything on his list). We like them too. They don't have to lead to sex. If they do, that isn't bad.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 12:38 am

FMX wrote:
I think that's partly efficiency and partly courtesy to others. It's generally faster to use a urinal, because you don't have to open the door and lift the seat - and maybe you don't want to touch the seat, either. It also leaves the cubicles for those who actually need them.

Another possible concern: there are generally more urinals than cubicles. If there's 2-3 cubicles, there's probably about 6-8 urinals. If everyone preferred cubicles to urinals for peeing, everyone who didn't have to pee would have to wait on people peeing in the cubicles when there were urinals open.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:58 am

Ancalagon wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Just for the record, the reason that toilet seats should be kept down, is so that a female who has to pee in a hurry doesn't land on the hard, unforgiving and slippery toilet rim.

Does that actually happen? As a guy, I do have to sit for some toilet activities, but I have never in my life accidentally sat on the rim instead of the seat. I can see why the rim would be unpleasant to sit on, but why would you sit on it, knowing it to be unpleasant?
middle of the night, half asleep, poor light...

meems
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2013, 1:59 am

The way they take up as much space as they possibly can on public transit.

http://machoikollektivtrafiken.se/

Also just entitlement and obliviousness to societal privilege. The average hetero white dude says and does really entitled, oblivious stuff on a regular basis, in my experience. Also, I guess the internet provides endless of examples of that.