Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 8:39 am

The origin of those "voices," I believe, is (for females) the Valley Girl accent; and (for males) the surfer culture.

Tekkin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2014, 8:00 pm

''Valley girl'' voices don't bother me that much unless the person talking like that has a very shrill and loud voice. Then it just hurts to listen to them talk. Whenever people make squeal sounds, it sounds so harsh. I can't understand how other people aren't as bothered by it as I am.

I think my biggest annoyance is people who talk in "pet" voices, whether to small children or to their actual pets. It may have something to do with the fact that a lot of adult women treat me like something adorable that they can hug and touch (no,) and some of them even talk with that condescending "pet" tone towards me. I don't talk that much and it seems like a lot of people somehow find me adorable because of it, even though I'm fourteen and just a summer away from entering high school. And it feels kind of dehumanizing when somebody talks to me in the same voice that they talk to their toy poodles, as if I can't understand what they're saying just because my responses are either bare minimum or just a nod or shake of my head.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 May 2014, 3:53 pm

I think I know what you mean. It's slightly different from a full-blown valley girl voice but seems to have been derived from it, right? If it's what I'm thinking of, I find it pretty annoying, but my mom (also autistic) absolutely loathes it.

Dude-bro voices don't bother me at all. I actually like them. I've spent way more time than is healthy around extremely rigid, stuffy, and overly serious killjoys, and dude-bro voices remind me that not everyone hates levity.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 4:25 pm

NicholasName wrote:
I think I know what you mean. It's slightly different from a full-blown valley girl voice but seems to have been derived from it, right? If it's what I'm thinking of, I find it pretty annoying, but my mom (also autistic) absolutely loathes it.

Dude-bro voices don't bother me at all. I actually like them. I've spent way more time than is healthy around extremely rigid, stuffy, and overly serious killjoys, and dude-bro voices remind me that not everyone hates levity.

i never would have associated the dude-bro voice with levity; inanity, certainly, but not levity. if i want a laugh i prefer wit to toilet humour--vulgarity has it's place, but if that's all you've got in your laugh-bag you're going to bore me.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2014, 1:21 am

Like totally grinds my gear bro....

The term is called "uptalk". Makes people sound so stupid. The d00dBro shite has to stop as well.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/uptalk

Youtube link to uptalk video.

Another is Vocal Fry. Which is where people sizzle off the ends of sentences or statements.

Link to youtube artcle on vocal fry.

Combine the two and that is what is "going viral" across North America right now. Both men and women are doing it. Makes me want to wear earplugs under my headphones when I go out in public.. Just so I do not have to hear it.

It truly is a wonder these people are able to find mates, and when they do find one another, I find it amazing they do not kill each other for sounding so annoying.