Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,637

03 Jul 2014, 2:08 pm

HisMom wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:
HisMom wrote:
The cute brown guy didn't bother to shave off his mustache, though. You still like ?


He looks somewhat moustache-free, to me.
:-)


Our wires are crossed ! Did you mean this dude ?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3995_o.jpg


:lol: oh my gosh, no... although that's a beezer of a moustache.
He should grow it longer, and twirl the ends more.... or maybe shape them to look like small animals.

I was meaning the grinning hot brown guy 13-14 seconds into the Wilkinson Sword 'roses' advert.
:-) mmm mmm he's well fit (makes approving noises)



HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,271

03 Jul 2014, 4:26 pm

Ladywoofwoof wrote:

:lol: oh my gosh, no... although that's a beezer of a moustache.
He should grow it longer, and twirl the ends more.... or maybe shape them to look like small animals.


:D :D :D .... yeah, or grow them all out and tie them in a bow ... or maybe make a knot framing his face. Or trim / shape the ends to resemble a bat ..BATMAN ! !! !

Ladywoofwoof wrote:

I was meaning the grinning hot brown guy 13-14 seconds into the Wilkinson Sword 'roses' advert.


He's brown ?! Well, I am in queue for a corneal transplant soon, so maybe it's me... :oops:

You *are* strange, my dear. But that's OK because I'm more than just a bit off the rails, myself. :D :D :D


_________________
O villain, villain, smiling, damnèd villain!
My tables—meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain.
At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116


Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,637

04 Jul 2014, 6:48 am

:lol: Bwahaha
I just found this - it was posted to the Wilkinson Sword UK Facebook page to celebrate national beer can appreciation week.

Image


Quote:
He's brown ?! Well, I am in queue for a corneal transplant soon, so maybe it's me... :oops:


:-) Aw shucks... yup he's very much brown.
The cute guy with the black coat and gloves, and a baseball hat on - aye ?
I think he's the only clean shaven bloke in the whole commercial ?



trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,920

04 Jul 2014, 9:19 am

I really don't understand beards. What are they there for? It's probably sexual dimorphism like with lions, but I don't think that women today find men with Duck Dynasty/ZZ-top/Taliban beards more sexy than other men. Before shaving was invented adult men would probably look like Gandalf. For those who don't know who Gandalf is, here is a picture from when he was with the Taliban:

Image



Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,637

04 Jul 2014, 9:40 am

Goodness knows... many men seem to be impressed by other men who have thick beards, or reckon they seem like they have a higher status if they have beards... or are jealous of people who grow thick beards quickly ; which is ironic, since they don't seem to be keen on shaving once they get a girlfriend... and obviously the thicker and faster the hair growth, the more often they would need to shave in order to avoid being prickly or eventually winding up with facial pubes.
Many men would rather keep their beard even though it deters women, than be attractive to the opposite gender.... even some of the ones which complain abut being forever alone will do that, which to me just seems like a silly approach to have in life.

So yeah, the beard thing seems to be more about looking good for the benefit of other men, rather than an element of sexual attraction.
I mean sure, some women go for the whole beardy stubbled thing... but it's not a thing women are typically known to be keen about.

Or maybe it's to help men to get through cold winters... like long head hair (popular on women) they can grow their face scarf long and sling it round their necks to keep out the chill?
;-)

I had a look and it seems that shaving predates recorded history.
Shaving implements have been excavated which date back to around the 4th millenium BC ... the ancient egyptians being especially keen to shave off all of their body hair, as it was seen as being very unpleasant ... even the hair on their heads would often be shaved right off!



smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,422
Location: London

04 Jul 2014, 11:18 am

Many men on the internet, or many men in general? I don't know any man who would be proud of having a beard.

Quote:
Or maybe it's to help men to get through cold winters... like long head hair (popular on women) they can grow their face scarf long and sling it round their necks to keep out the chill? ;)


:D Or a handwarmer.



trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,920

04 Jul 2014, 12:08 pm

I don't think it's the cold weather thing: hoomans evolved in Africa and Africans have beards too. I saw this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard#Evolution

It says that women find men with beards more attractive (even though most women I've spoken to say they don't), possible because of the appearance of a larger chin because of the beard. Another part is similar to what you said: people see men with beards as more dominant.
Personally I find that men with beards look more friendly. That's probably just me because just about all politcians and newsreaders and such are shaven. Isn't it weird that there are almost no bearded politicians and newsreaders? That seems to mean that people prefer shaven because these two groups are likely to groom themselves to look like what they think the public wants to see. Newsreaders and politicians all have the same cookie cutter look, especially the men. Grey suit, shaven, short hair. Although I saw the Danish finance minister on tv a while ago and he had a ponytail. And the leader of the Dutch Social Democrats never wears suits, he always wears wears sloppy sweaters.

And then there are groups were many people have beards: the really fundie muslims all look like ZZ-Top. Most of the early commies had beards too: Lenin, Trotsky, Castro, Che Guevara. And of course hippies, metalheads and stoners. One disadvantage of a beard is that you can spill your White Russian on it:

Image

And most men aren't keen on shaving I think. It's really annoying and it often hurts. And it feels useless because it will just grow back anyway. I read (a long time ago) that the UPS delivery guys had guidelines: a mustache was allowed, but other facial hair was not. I find that quite an imposition on an employee. It basically forces him to shave every morning. I never understood why other people care about the appearance of others.

And aside from Wizards, Dwarves too have beards! Otherwise Big Folk will think they are Hobbits, which would be embarrassing.

Image



smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,422
Location: London

04 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm

trollcatman wrote:
I don't think it's the cold weather thing: hoomans evolved in Africa and Africans have beards too.


We were just kidding around. 8)

trollcatman wrote:
I saw this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard#Evolution It says that women find men with beards more attractive (even though most women I've spoken to say they don't), possible because of the appearance of a larger chin because of the beard.


Where does it say that?

trollcatman wrote:
Another part is similar to what you said: people see men with beards as more dominant.


I really don't think they do. Where does it mention that?[/quote]



trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,920

04 Jul 2014, 12:34 pm

smudge wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
I don't think it's the cold weather thing: hoomans evolved in Africa and Africans have beards too.


We were just kidding around. 8)


I got that, but intuitively I thought that beards must be for the cold. Except in that case women would probably have developed them too. And that humans evolved in a warm climate.

Quote:
trollcatman wrote:
I saw this on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard#Evolution It says that women find men with beards more attractive (even though most women I've spoken to say they don't), possible because of the appearance of a larger chin because of the beard.


Where does it say that?


On that wiki page I linked. I'll just post the whole thing. The "more dominant" part is also in there.

Quote:
Biologists characterize beards as secondary sexual characteristics because they are unique to one sex, yet do not play a direct role in reproduction. Charles Darwin first suggested possible evolutionary explanation of beards in his work The Descent of Man, which hypothesized that the process of sexual selection may have led to beards.[4] Modern biologists have reaffirmed the role of sexual selection in the evolution of beards, concluding that there is evidence that a preponderance of females find men with beards more attractive than men without beards.[5][6][7]

Evolutionary psychology explanations for the existence of beards include signaling sexual maturity and signaling dominance by increasing perceived size of jaws, and clean-shaved faces are rated less dominant than bearded.[8] Some scholars assert that it is not yet established whether the sexual selection leading to beards is rooted in attractiveness (inter-sexual selection) or dominance (intra-sexual selection).[9] A beard can be explained as an indicator of a male's overall condition.[10] Amount of facial hairiness appears to influence male attractiveness.[11][12] Presence of a beard makes the owner vulnerable in fights, which is costly, so biologists have speculated that there must be other evolutionary benefits that outweigh that drawback.[13] Excess testosterone evidenced by the beard may indicate mild immunosuppression, which may support spermatogenesis.[14][15]



Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,637

04 Jul 2014, 1:58 pm

smudge wrote:
Many men on the internet, or many men in general? I don't know any man who would be proud of having a beard.


Quite a few men in general, in my experience.
Several of my exes made bizarre comments because of their beard envy while I was still with them.

I also know a bunch of people who seem to be rather proud of their beards...
Although, :lol: most of them go to the local wargame club... ie they're not standard edition men.



trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Dec 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,920

04 Jul 2014, 3:27 pm

I'm not sure proud is the right word. I think there are quite a few women who like having nice hair, the feeling of having a nice beard would probably be similar for some men. For others it's just being fed up with shaving I guess.



Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,637

04 Jul 2014, 4:20 pm

I reckon that if men are going to grow facial shrubbery, then they should at least get creative about it and not just grow some random growth.

For example :

Image



HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,271

04 Jul 2014, 6:26 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Quote:
Biologists characterize beards as secondary sexual characteristics because they are unique to one sex, yet do not play a direct role in reproduction. Charles Darwin first suggested possible evolutionary explanation of beards in his work The Descent of Man, which hypothesized that the process of sexual selection may have led to beards.[4] Modern biologists have reaffirmed the role of sexual selection in the evolution of beards, concluding that there is evidence that a preponderance of females find men with beards more attractive than men without beards.[5][6][7]

Evolutionary psychology explanations for the existence of beards include signaling sexual maturity and signaling dominance by increasing perceived size of jaws, and clean-shaved faces are rated less dominant than bearded.[8] Some scholars assert that it is not yet established whether the sexual selection leading to beards is rooted in attractiveness (inter-sexual selection) or dominance (intra-sexual selection).[9] A beard can be explained as an indicator of a male's overall condition.[10] Amount of facial hairiness appears to influence male attractiveness.[11][12] Presence of a beard makes the owner vulnerable in fights, which is costly, so biologists have speculated that there must be other evolutionary benefits that outweigh that drawback.[13] Excess testosterone evidenced by the beard may indicate mild immunosuppression, which may support spermatogenesis.[14][15]


I cannot stand beards. I just can't. I don't care how dominant they appear or how large their jaw size is, but if they have a beard, I am staying away from them. To me, bearded men are trouble with a capital T. In my (rather limited, I'll admit) experience, the bearded ones are usually VIOLENT FUNDIES who aren't above committing a few hundred murders in the name of religion !

They may talk the nice guy talk, and maybe even briefly walk the nice guy walk, but at their core, you don't want these men in your life in even an acquaintance capacity, leave alone as a husband or a brother ! Many can be - and are - incredibly handsome, but gee, thanks but no thanks. Safety first.


_________________
O villain, villain, smiling, damnèd villain!
My tables—meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain.
At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116


Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,637

04 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm

:o Some of them have beards that make them look like they're lurking in a hedge.

:chin: What do they have to hide ?



tarantella64
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,901

06 Jul 2014, 12:37 am

Hair fashions. I so do not understand hair fashions. And the great thing is, no matter what the fashion is, some half-assed sociologist will come along and explain its existence by saying it's been proven to attract the opposite sex.

As for me, I'm mostly wondering why so much of my food comes from Canada these days. Had a lovely microwave curry for dinner and now am eating very hippie tea bikkies with dates, flax, seed-type things (guess the province).