Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pyrola
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jul 2014, 10:32 am

I worked with small kids, and I completely understand your trepidation! Just try to keep your hair up if it's long, and try to avoid physical contact with kids that seem to be itching their heads more than usual. It's nothing to be too nervous about, though. :) As for head lice liking pretty girl heads, food is food. Head lice adore any kind of head they can get their nasty little legs latched onto. For clothes, just be sure to wear things that look professional but are washable. Don't wear your very nice things with little kids!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 10:44 am

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
Why are you all giving such terrible advice ?
8O

As any headliceologist can confirm, head lice are known to be both bisexual and chronically shy.
This means that they are typically just way too nervous to ever approach beautiful women (or handsome men) ... leaving their hair free from infestation.

It's also well documented that head lice can consume 5000 times their body weight in nice clothes daily.... it's not uncommon for one head louse to devour an entire dress overnight, for example.

I can't believe I just read this. You can't just generalise about an entire species. I attract them ALL the time, so don't you tell me what they are and aren't attracted to. What would you know with your slimey, hairless complexion, hmm??

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 10:46 am

We have to stop objectifying headlice!! !! !! !!

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 11:29 am

Appearantly not if she's biracial cause i've never had lice. Racist lice b*****s

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 11:34 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Do beautiful girls get them? I'm going into working with kids and I'll get head lice and my clothes will get ruined. Do pretty girls get head lice, too?

Yes, everyone can get them. However if you have blonde highlighted hair/peroxide, apparently you are less attractive to head lice, as your hair strands are not as healthy as natural untouched hair. :)
Try using peppermint and tea tree shampoo or their essential oils dabbed at the nape hairline and above your ears. Apparently they do not like the strong smell. Tie up your hair in a tight bun, and if you get them... As other posters have said, there are plenty of removal products. You will need to wash your clothes, and perhaps your bed clothes and towels in a hot wash, this depends on how long it takes you to realise that you have them.
Its really helpful if you have someone to check your over ear and nape hairline each evening when you come home. This will give you peace of mind, and the assurance that every small itch is not an infestation. Good luck with the job.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 1:31 pm

Amity wrote:
Do beautiful girls get them? I'm going into working with kids and I'll get head lice and my clothes will get ruined. Do pretty girls get head lice, too?

Yes, everyone can get them. However if you have blonde highlighted hair/peroxide, apparently you are less attractive to head lice, as your hair strands are not as healthy as natural untouched hair. :)
Try using peppermint and tea tree shampoo or their essential oils dabbed at the nape hairline and above your ears. Apparently they do not like the strong smell. Tie up your hair in a tight bun, and if you get them... As other posters have said, there are plenty of removal products. You will need to wash your clothes, and perhaps your bed clothes and towels in a hot wash, this depends on how long it takes you to realise that you have them.
Its really helpful if you have someone to check your over ear and nape hairline each evening when you come home. This will give you peace of mind, and the assurance that every small itch is not an infestation. Good luck with the job.

If that's the case then building my dream clothes collection is pointless. I can always collect shoes, purses, makeup, perfumes, skincare products, jewelry, scarfs, socks, hats and other accessories. I'm saving up $840.00 to buy those cute things with. I forgot nail polish...oops.

I'm snobby, vain, prissy and feminine and am proud of that. I cake on makeup. I wear high heels and shoes that give me blisters and don't mind at all. That's just how I work.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm

lotusblossom wrote:

getting head lice wont ruin your clothes, they live in hair and stay there, they pass on when heads touch. If you catch them, you can lice comb to remove them or use a lice lotion from the pharmacy, you can wash your bedding if you are very concerned.

you should read a page on head lice on the web as it will reassure you that it is nothing to worry about.

Every page I look at says to wash clothes in hot water and dry them on high heat :(

as far as Im aware that is only for body lice which homeless people sometimes get which lay eggs in clothes seams, but head lice only lay eggs very close to the scalp. In the UK many schools just recommend wet combing not even insecticide lotion so I really think your over worrying.

my kids got lice when they were younger and it really was not that bad and we just lotioned the kids hair and washed their bedding. I did not do my own hair as I wet combed everyday as I did not want to catch them and only ever got one louse (in 3 years of my daughter catching it every few months, when her friend moved schools she never caught them again).

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 5:41 pm

If that's the case then building my dream clothes collection is pointless. I can always collect shoes, purses, makeup, perfumes, skincare products, jewelry, scarfs, socks, hats and other accessories. I'm saving up $840.00 to buy those cute things with. I forgot nail polish...oops.

I'm snobby, vain, prissy and feminine and am proud of that. I cake on makeup. I wear high heels and shoes that give me blisters and don't mind at all. That's just how I work.

I like trolls. They can be very amusing at times ! :lol:

At least I'm sure it may be so in "Denmark".

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 5:50 pm

HisMom wrote:

How is that trolling?

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 5:54 pm

HisMom wrote:

How is that trolling?

Not just that, hon, but the entire thread ! :lol:

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 5:58 pm

HisMom wrote:
HisMom wrote:

How is that trolling?

What I really think is trolling is somebody who is neurotypical being on a website for people with aspergers who is being mean to someone with aspergers who is communcating and genuine fear charecteristic of somebody with aspergers.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2014, 6:13 pm

HisMom wrote:
HisMom wrote:

How is that trolling?

What I really think is trolling is somebody who is neurotypical being on a website for people with aspergers who is being mean to someone with aspergers who is communcating and genuine fear charecteristic of somebody with aspergers.

Oh, dear me, the troll has pheeeeelings ! !!

Sweetie, can you show me where it says on this site that neurotypicals may not post here ? Or that this site is solely for Aspies ? I happen to be a parent to a child with autism and this site is for people on the spectrum and their parents (hence the parenting sub forum). This 'ere sub forum is for women to get together to chat - I don't see where it says that only Aspie women may post here ? I think that there are even some men posting here. And, occasionally, little green people crawl out from under the bridge they live in and post here, too... you may know some of these little people, yeah ?

If you aren't a troll, then you are just full of it, and I wouldn't want you working with my kid... You are in the wrong profession if you think that you can work with kids slathered in makeup, wearing stilts and in tight shorts, with the only thing you have to worry about being lice infesting your carefully set hair !

Are you for real ?

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 7:10 am

I ... I think... she might genuinely be like that, you know...
8O

She seems mighty concerned about those Barbie doll clothes, for sure -
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp6012056.html

And, did you see this ?

This [lice] is the reason why I actually hate the idea of the career that I chose. Sure, working with kids is good, but appearances are a huge priority. Hey, something has to pay for Botox.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt240377.html

Have you ever seen that show, "Snog Marry Avoid"... and the sorts of people who go on it ?
You know how some of them are a bit "are you for real" ... with how they talk about their clothes and make-up and all ?
I think this person might genuinely be a bit like that... and not trolling.

HisMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 1:16 pm

[If she is not a troll, then I worry for those kids she is going to be working with. Her posts - in this thread alone (haven't checked out her other gems yet) - are BIZARRE !

-- Hamlet, 1.5.113-116

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 1:59 pm

HisMom wrote:
[If she is not a troll, then I worry for those kids she is going to be working with. Her posts - in this thread alone (haven't checked out her other gems yet) - are BIZARRE !

I quite agree.
And coming from me, that's a telling thing !
:lol:

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2014, 8:57 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
as far as Im aware that is only for body lice which homeless people sometimes get which lay eggs in clothes seams, but head lice only lay eggs very close to the scalp. In the UK many schools just recommend wet combing not even insecticide lotion so I really think your over worrying.

my kids got lice when they were younger and it really was not that bad and we just lotioned the kids hair and washed their bedding. I did not do my own hair as I wet combed everyday as I did not want to catch them and only ever got one louse (in 3 years of my daughter catching it every few months, when her friend moved schools she never caught them again).

Apparently things have changed and it seems they are quite up to date in the UK. The reason they only recommend wet combing is because the little buggers have grown resistant to insecticide. I also hear now that even the high heat of a clothes dryer won't kill them. And with some highly resistant types, all you can do is shave off ALL of your hair and toss your clothing. Then you must wait at least two weeks before purchasing any new clothing so as not to contaminate them. Bedding too will be hopelessly trashed and if your not careful, the mattress as well. Working with children is something you have to truly love. It isn't for the faint of heart.