Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2012, 3:05 pm

Anyone read Rudy Simone's Aspergirls? I read it and thought it was brilliant. A lot of the chapters covered things which I have had difficulty with and other chapters meant I considered things I hadn't previously. Her book pretty much spelt out Aspergers to me and as a result I was able to push to get my diagnosis. If I hadn't read this book I may have just got my ADD diagnosis and always wondered what my "something different about me" thing was.

I can't wait for her new book 22 Things a Woman with Aspergers wants her partner to know. I am ordering 2 copies, one for me and one for my boyfriend.

Anyone read Aspergers on the Job?

Rhiannon0828
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 5:02 pm

I have read both, and think that they are both quite good. I have a diagnosis of ADHD-NOS, but I suspect that I have Aspergers, either in addition to ADHD or the ADHD was misdiagnosed. At my age and with the coping skills I do have, it's unlikely that I'll receive an ASD diagnosis; there are not any doctors that I have found near where I live that have a good understanding of ASD's in adult women and even the one who gave me a conditional diagnosis (he wants me to spend still more money on testing) seems to feel that there is no benefit to giving me a diagnosis since there are no drugs to cure it and I seem to have developed some coping skills. He doesn't seem to realize how unreliable and unsustainable those coping skills are :roll:

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2012, 6:25 pm

Shame you haven't been getting a good service. I waited a year and a half in the system, it was tough. Then I saw someone else, got the right person and feel relieved after worrying for so long

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 6:31 pm

I don't have any sort of diagnosis. I bought 'Aspergirls' to try to get an insight into my daughter, feeling that I might see some of myself in it. But, I would never have guessed that the book would describe me perfectly. That was the start of my awakening.

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

Yea, it was a bit of a Eureka moment for me too!

valerieclaires
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2012, 1:09 am

I was told to read Aspergirls after being diagnosed, and reading it has helped. Most things in the book describe me very well, and reading it has helped me understand myself and my diagnosis much better.

Nikkt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Mar 2012, 10:53 pm

I was also told to read it after my own Dx; I didn't mention I had already read it twice and watched all of Rudy's talks on YouTube. Highly recommended, definitely.

Quote:
there are not any doctors that I have found near where I live that have a good understanding of ASD's in adult women and even the one who gave me a conditional diagnosis (he wants me to spend still more money on testing) seems to feel that there is no benefit to giving me a diagnosis since there are no drugs to cure it and I seem to have developed some coping skills.

Yeah, it took a long search before I found a psychologist who had worked with Tony Attwood, and was therefore up on all the latest info regarding women with AS. Turns out she was practicing 5 mins from where I grew up, which was perfect because I could drag my mother along to one of the sessions. Talk about luck.

I was worried, though, that given my educational achievements I would get scoffed at, so I wrote a two page 'essay' for the psych about why I felt I needed to be assessed and know one way or the other. It's much easier for me to be articulate on paper. Maybe that's an avenue to try? Everyone has their own reason as to why a diagnosis would be beneficial, and if you can articulate that maybe the Dr would be a little more understanding. Who knows...

Anyway, good luck with it all - it can be a bit of a minefield.

Carbon_4
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Mar 2012, 11:49 pm

I love aspergirls, I think its a must read for women with aspergers as well as the NT people who are close to them

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2012, 1:52 pm

I just ordered a copy of Aspergirls on the recommendation of a good friend. I'm looking forward to reading it when it arrives!

Mitsuki
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2012, 4:33 pm

Carbon_4 wrote:
I love aspergirls, I think its a must read for women with aspergers as well as the NT people who are close to them

I completely agree. My boyfriend is reading the copy I sent him, it has been great amusement having him read the book and being able to identify which bits are totally me! I feel so lucky that there was a tool like Aspergirls to enable us to share this experience . It has really helped me come to terms with my diagnosis and embrace life a little more confidently.

megymegan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2012, 10:38 pm

MusicMama wrote:
I just ordered a copy of Aspergirls on the recommendation of a good friend. I'm looking forward to reading it when it arrives!

I'm waiting for my copy to arrive too! :D
Ordered it over a week ago but being in NZ means things take their time getting here.

Calcifer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Mar 2012, 8:31 pm

Maybe I should get it...

Midori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2012, 11:42 am

HA! I bought it the day after my assessment and read it in a day. When I went back a month later for the official report/diagnosis I practically sold the book to the psychologist- she hadn't read it yet, but had been hearing good things from other patients.

I send people to her help4aspergers site (the page with the charts) if I want a quick and dirty way to communicate the issue.

TimpaniRol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2012, 3:13 pm

I read it and thought it was great! it's definitlely not in "official" or clinical language. I lent it to my NT husband and he gave up 1/3 of the way through. he hated the way she writes. my guess is that it is because it is from the aspie perspective so he felt alienated, or that she was being self-indulgent, and hence not sounding objective. i would still highly recommend it

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

03 Apr 2012, 1:29 pm

I read it in less than a day with a highlighter in hand to mark the bits that I relate most to. My husband is about halfway through now and it's been very insightful for him to read the book in general, but also to see what I highlighted.

We have been discussing what he's learned after every chapter and sometimes he asks for clarification in the middle of a chapter. It's has helped our marriage SO MUCH! I cannot adequately express how much...

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Apr 2012, 3:23 am

Yes, I own it. I couldn't help but notice recently that the cover must be stock art as I saw the same pic on another product. When reading the individual's stories I thought since I wasn't some sort of prodigy or suffer from a lot of the 'extremes" some do, that maybe it wasn't aspergers. But then I came across the checklist and sure enough my picture might have well been next to the description. The main Pro of the book to me was showing the diversity and contrast of symptoms females have v. males. Its very hard to come across female-specific information via online.