I'm really sick of sexism being so trivialized

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 8:42 pm

I don't know what else to add at this point but the constant rants about how this board is sexist simply because it addresses women's issues is really pissing me off.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 8:49 pm

Exactly! Women certainly do have issues that are very different and separate from men's issues, and I'm sure most women would appreciate input from other women about women's issues. And what's wrong with that?

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by CleverKitten on 18 Aug 2008, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fossy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2008, 8:50 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
Exactly! Women certainly do have issues that are very different and separate from men's issues, and I sure most women would appreciate input from other women about women's issues. And what's wrong with that?

Thank you! I couldn't have put it better myself.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 9:16 pm

Wait a minute. You are at a board that serves people with a issue where men outnumber women by 4 to 1 and you think it is sexist towards women?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 9:24 pm

demeus wrote:
Wait a minute. You are at a board that serves people with a issue where men outnumber women by 4 to 1 and you think it is sexist towards women?

No her problem is with the men that come to the women's forum on that site just to claim the woman who post there are all sexist because they are utilizing a place designated for dissucions of issues that will only ever apply to woman (ie periods)

Last edited by Triangular_Trees on 18 Aug 2008, 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 9:25 pm

*what is up with all the male trolls in the woman's forum today? Maybe there is something to that full moon bringing out ridiculous behavior belief after all

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:06 pm

I would not mind if the men had their own forum...although I would be quite tempted to post there too. I like men and find their conversations interesting.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:45 pm

The men used to have their own forum, but supposedly it turned X-rated and was done away with.

I get depressed by the misogyny and sexism I see in some places on WP.

That being said though, I find most (NT) women off-putting and a bit scary. The only women I've ever been able to relate to are the ones here. I think if I were a man or a lesbian I'd be in love with all of you :heart: :lol:.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 1:56 am

I agree, do they not get that women have issues they'll never have to contend with - periods, vaginas, breasts, PMS, labour, etc etc?! How is that sexist to have somewhere to discuss it without being ridiculed or it turned into a sex-fest, can you imagine it on General Discussion or Adult Discussion?!

Also, we aspie ladies are so few and far between I think it's important we have somewhere we can talk to each other freely for support and advice...

intense
Toucan
Toucan

19 Aug 2008, 3:45 am

LeKiwi wrote:
I agree, do they not get that women have issues they'll never have to contend with - periods, vaginas, breasts, PMS, labour, etc etc?! How is that sexist to have somewhere to discuss it without being ridiculed or it turned into a sex-fest, can you imagine it on General Discussion or Adult Discussion?!

Also, we aspie ladies are so few and far between I think it's important we have somewhere we can talk to each other freely for support and advice...
What do you mean? I’ve had to contended with a few vaginas and breasts and PMS 8O in my time, I found the first 2 to be a very pleasant experience actually :D No seriously speaking as a man I think you're absolutely right men should butt out of some of the very personal topics you girls need to talk about without calling you sexist, constant smart arsed comments by men are far from helpful.
In defence of men (not the troll variety) we’re a very curious bunch and sometimes find women’s issues to be quite fascinating but I think we should know when to leave well alone, come on though girls I've seen you posting away quite merrily when there’s a thread about our willies :D

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 7:59 am

Mmm, I am not surprised people are 'seeing sexism'.

A simple formulaic means of ascertaining whether or not discrimination of some kind has occurred is to ask whether or not people who are X have something not available to people who are not X. In this case people who are females have a dedicated area of the board available to them and people who are not females do not.

It's no big secret people with Asperger's Syndrome often struggle with formulaic application of inflexible rules.

I can sympathize with people who think the presence of this sub-forum is sexist (given the absence of a male equivalent) because I can see how they could very sensibly and logically arrive at their view. In my own experience when one is working from an inflexible but utterly logical formula (that when applied to a set of facts, deductively demonstrates unfairness is occurring), it is very frustrating when others do not seem to see things 'as clearly as me'. The apparent unfairness can often be less distressing than the mystifying 'incapacity' of others to see the 'rightness' of the 'inevitable conclusion' that they are nay-saying.

I doubt I am the only one around here who has experienced this kind of thinking pattern and the distress that arises when world seems hell-bent on denying an obviously 'undeniable' conclusion for no reason that makes sense to me.

In a world where one's ability to deduce conclusions is their only means of making sense of things, it can be very distressing when relying on an apparently sound deduction fails to be adaptive/productive in a particular circumstance. When it's the only thing you have to make meaning of the world, it's very threatening when it does not work and this can result in (perhaps seemingly inappropriately) strong and inflexible reactions that often are self-perceived as a reasonable response to what appears (from that point of view) to be a very unreasonable circumstance.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 9:30 am

However there was a men's forum and it had to be removed because nothing of value was ever posted there - pretty much every thread made violated the rules. It wasn't removed to discriminate againste men - it was removed beause there was no single valid reason to come up with for maintaining a forum that was nothing more than filth and trash talk. The fact that it was tried., proven to be worthless, and served no purpose other than lessening the image of the people who visit WP, should be enough logical reason for why a men's forum shouldn't be here, don't you think?

There is also far less of a need for a men's forum because of the very fact that men outnumber women so extensively here. Just look at the monoply of men in the adults forum (and how quite a few of them act there too)

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 9:53 am

*the people who claim the presence of this forum is sexist bring up a good point. There should be no forum for a specified group of people on WP unless their counterpart has a forum, regardless of whether or not that forum is used

So the parents forum needs to be cancelled. it is discriminating against those without children to give the parents a place to discuss issues that only relate to being a parent and raising a child

The members forum needs to be cancelled - we are discriminating by people who haven't yet decided to join here by not providing a forum for nonmembers

Work and finding a job needs to be cancelled - we are discriminating against those who are unable to work because we do not also have a forum for those who are unable to work

The children's and adult forums need to be cancelled asap because the presence of both discriminates against teens

Religion needs to be removed from the politics, philosophy and religion forum because its presence in the title discriminates against all who have chosen to reject religion. There is no forum for those without religion

Wrongplanet.net discussion needs to be cancelled because we do not also have a forum to discuss what needs to be changed or added to on other sites. Therefore its presence discriminates against everyone here who also visits another forum

The statistics forum needs to be deleted as well. its presence discriminates against those who have trouble grasping mean, median, mode and standard deviation.

Alex, how can you let all of this discrimination being going on?

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 9:54 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
However there was a men's forum and it had to be removed because nothing of value was ever posted there - pretty much every thread made violated the rules. It wasn't removed to discriminate againste men - it was removed beause there was no single valid reason to come up with for maintaining a forum that was nothing more than filth and trash talk. The fact that it was tried., proven to be worthless, and served no purpose other than lessening the image of the people who visit WP, should be enough logical reason for why a men's forum shouldn't be here, don't you think?

There is also far less of a need for a men's forum because of the very fact that men outnumber women so extensively here. Just look at the monoply of men in the adults forum (and how quite a few of them act there too)

I'm not sure if this replies to me, but if so there seems to be a misunderstanding.

I am not commenting on the existence or not of any particular forum, but rather on the cognitive processes that result in people coming to 'logger-heads' over an issue.

I think that since we (people with autistic spectrum disorder) have communication deficits and a tendency toward certain cognitive patterns, that there are likely to be misunderstandings and hurt feelings if we lose sight of these common issues and how they can impact on communication and perception.

Whether or not anyone agrees with a particular conclusion is a different issue to whether or not we choose to attempt to understand the cognitive processes and feelings that motivate a particular communication attempt or point of view. My belief is that we are all vulnerable, and further, that sometimes in our attempts at self-protection, we can lose sight of the vulnerability of others, and how circumstances (perhaps including our own conduct) can contribute to each others' vulnerabilities being expressed in less than productive ways.

I'm quite convinced that no one is here to hurt anyone else, or to be hurt themselves, and hurt can often be avoided or mitigated through mutual comprehension. Sometimes just knowing why people think, feel, act or communicate in a certain way in a particular circumstance can be the difference between hurt feelings, harsh words, frustration, and a complete break down of the meaningful communication I believe most, if not all of us are seeking.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 9:59 am

Its not directed at you, but why I think your description cannot account for this behavior.

It can account for the original believe, sure, but the proof thats its been tried and done with seriously disasterous results should be proof enough for anyone with a logical viewpoint to understand why that forum shouldn't be here

Two if it were truly just a matter of what one group has the other should, than why does no one complain about the fact that the parents have their own place to post? That forum is there to serve the unique needs of parents just as this one is to serve the unique needs of woman. But I have yet to see anyone screaming "The parents forum needs to be removed. being childless I'm offended by its presence" the way I see people claiming that being male makes them offended by this forum

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 11:10 am

Well, as far as logic goes, there's equality of input (give everyone the same resources) and equality of outcome (make sure everyone ends up equally well off, to the extent that they want to be). Society is shifting away from equality of input to equality of outcome as people realize treating people the same doesn't generally result in equality unless they are the same.

And then there's men feeling insecure and angry when reminded that women feel at a disadvantage relative to them. Being told you have more power than someone else and that you might have to give some of it up to be fair is going to freak out some people, especially those who don't feel secure in their own power yet. With maturity and experience and a general understanding that if they want to get laid it would be a good idea to see women as people, they'll come around. Is there some way of just ignoring them? Or do we need to trot out the same answers every other week or so regardless? (I guess in some ways this is like theory of mind and empathy and autism speaks - some issues do come up reguarly, don't they?)