Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 2:26 am

Halp!

I have a wedding to go to in October (not mine lol) and I bought the below pictured dress recently to wear.
Now I'm having trouble picking out shoes. Does anyone have any fashionable suggestions for colour/style?

My criteria so far:
- Preferably not silver or black as in the picture (black is boring, silver is too deb ball)
- Peep toe pumps are appealing
- As are shoes with t-straps or any type of ankle strap
- Not a strappy sandal type heel (as I intend to wear toeless hosiery)

Obviously I know what type of style of shoe I'm leaning towards (something vintagy), but what other colours can I try besides black and silver? :?

traven
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 2:45 am

another shade of blue, more risky is going to green or violet
flat ?

twix
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Aug 2016, 3:43 am

I would put a slightly dark red with that blue for a stunning colour contrast. Or you could match the blue, but that would be difficult. For the dress to stand out and not the shoes plain nude heels (we call them court shoes in UK but I think you call them pumps?) would be nice.

If you google image search blue dress you might get some ideas that way.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 4:00 am

^ I was thinking nude or even a pale gold suede, maybe even tending towards a blush pinky/champagne shade? (I'm pretty persnickety with colour shades and variations :P). Surprisingly there are a few blue shoes around in a close matched shade. Lilac or a pale turquoisy sage green could work. What about navy?

Badgley Mischka shoes are exactly what I want but they're pricey and I can't risk wearing the same ones as the bride (they're an actual bridal centric brand). Pity Zappos don't do international shipping. I even tried designing my own on Shoes of Prey to no avail!

twix

21 Aug 2016, 1:54 pm

Gold would look great too. I'm not sure about champagne or blush because the dress is a strong colour and I would personally put another strong colour with it. But that's just my opinion.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 2:25 pm

Oh that's a pretty dress blue bean, what accessories will you be wearing?

...silver, champagne, white, depends on what would look best against your skin. Red could also be nice.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 8:36 am

Googling other dresses in that colour seems to be coming up with things I already considered; nude, gold, white, black.

What about rose gold? Seems to be another colour of the season along with all the nudes and beiges.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 9:14 am

If you really want to stand out, I would suggest bright orange coloured shoes, maybe a subtler yellow with that shade of blue.

Dr.Pepper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2016, 8:34 am

Nude or a tone that matches your leg color. It's neutral because it matches your legs, not the dress.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 11:54 pm

That's a gorgeous dress.

It's always hard to tell on a monitor, but that blue seems to have a lot of purple in it, like a dark periwinkle. Is that right? If so then a lighter shade of periwinkle would be lovely, but it might be tricky to find just the right shade. Violet might also work. If you go with a darker blue then I'm thinking indigo would be better than navy.

Be careful with any shade of blue that has more green in it - it might clash - but sometimes tiffany blue looks great with a darker shade of blue.

Blush pink, champagne, gold, ivory etc. are all safe choices but a contrasting color would be really nice with this dress. I think red that has a hint of pink in it, like rose red, would be perfect. Or an orange-red like persimmon, or a vivid shade of coral. Maybe even a shade of magenta or fuchsia, but that might be too wild for a wedding.

I came across these and thought they looked nice and several of those colors might work.
http://www.shoebuy.com/nina-forbes/372445

If it was ME though...I can't wear heels and I don't like dress shoes in general. I would probably pick out something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HL ... 48MO5YC44B

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 12:48 am

I would get some shoes specially dyed to match. Any other color is going to be a contrast and take away from the beauty of the dress UNLESS you were to wear black hose with black pumps. If you went that direction, then I would also wear some kind of black lace coverup. The thing is, if you wear contrasting shoes, it's going to cut you in half. You want the look to flow.

I might even wear black lace hose with black shoes and black lace coverup (shawl) and black jewelry to put it all together. I just love lace!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 7:28 am

Yesterday I went window shopping and tried on a few different styles, not so much shoes I wanted to but just to try various styles and see how they were on me. I definitely need some sort of ankle strap. I must have a skinny heel or something because plain pointy pumps or peep toe pumps, or pumps of any type just slip right off at the back. Sling backs are hopeless in this regard. T-straps actually looked ok. I couldn't find a decent pair of mary janes to try. I haven't worn heels in a long time so I'm out of touch with what sort would suit me. I also can't wear a pair that is too high either, nothing to do with pain, the tendons in my feet literally can't stretch that much. I'm limited to about a 3"-3.5" heel.

My skin tone is fairly pale with a pink tone, much like the model wearing the dress but not THAT pale.
The dress is a cobalt blue I reckon.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 8:57 am

There we go WP, go design me a pair :P

https://www.shoesofprey.com/3d

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2016, 9:12 am

Thanks guys, I ended up going with these. The arrived with a few little stains on them though so we'll see.

Now to pick out a bag. I'm thinking something floral with blue and pale pink hues in it (though not necessarily the only colours). It's hard finding one with silver hardware.

lazyflower
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2016, 2:19 pm

If you wore red lipstick like the model in the picture, I think red shoes would look great.
However if you want something more neutral, try a "nude/beige" color.

Update: Oh, just realized you've made your choice! Nvm.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 11:54 am

I'm a little late to the party, here----and, I see you've already found something you like----but, in case they don't work-out because of the stains.....

I've been in the fashion industry, off and on, for over 40 years (designed / made clothes; been a consultant / stylist); and, one thing's for sure, is that weddings, "after 5", and evening wear are very closely related, in that suede or leather, like the model in the OP is wearing, should NEVER be worn----but, rather, fabric. My FIRST thought, was to get satin / fabric shoes dyed to match----the style in Dianthus' FIRST link, were PERFECT, IMO----'cept I, personally, would never wear / suggest such a contrasting color, and you said you need straps.

The SECOND thing I thought-of, was FLOWERS:

Those shoes / bag are sold on Etsy. They have a heel like I think you'd like, but they don't have straps. (I'm thinking the problem with you walking out of your shoes, is you're getting them a tad too big. Heels push your foot forward, and will leave a space at the back----I'm thinking if you got them a half-size smaller, that might work.)

The shoes in the link I posted, above, are a little too dark, for MY taste (they might be totally fine, for you); for myself, I'd choose something along THESE lines:

THESE (in the following link) are FABULOUS, IMO----BUT, they're SUMMER; so, unless you're "Down Under", I wouldn't choose them:

These (in the following link) are another, fairly good example----except I wouldn't wear squared toes, for a wedding; and, the bag is not structured-enough, for such an occasion:

If you're a crafty-type of person, I would go and buy FABRIC shoes / structured bag (clutch), and PAINT them with flowers (I'd totally cover-up the white background----unless, like I said, it's summer)! I've done it before----and they turned-out FABULOUS----just make sure you use FABRIC paint (don't use plain ol' acrylic, cuz it'll crack / flake / fall-off), and a MATTE sealant.

That dress, in the OP, is BEAUTIFUL, BTW!!