Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 1:50 pm

The world we want can never exist.

We have to live in it.

We have to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 2:11 pm

Should this really be on PPR? I'd say so.

I would argue that tokenism, discourages talent becuase those women that would be excellent leaders might not bother if parties are just concerned with filling quotas.

Many countries have had female leaders, they tent to be no nonsense and strong. They don't tend to be those that go there due to quotas.

Clinton reminds me of Cristina Kirchner. Someone who only became known becuase of her husband, and pretty corrupt.

I think the US needs to move out of the political dynasties and take a good look at campaign funding.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 2:19 pm

Tokenism is a scourge. I agree with that.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 3:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Tokenism is a scourge. I agree with that.

and positive discrimination/affirmative action.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 4:17 pm

0_equals_true wrote:

Well, I put it in Women's because I wanted to know how women felt about this, but it has turned a bit political.

0_equals_true wrote:
I would argue that tokenism, discourages talent becuase those women that would be excellent leaders might not bother if parties are just concerned with filling quotas.

Sometimes it's the only way to get in.

0_equals_true wrote:
Many countries have had female leaders, they tent to be no nonsense and strong. They don't tend to be those that go there due to quotas.

I love Merkel.

And for no particular reason:

0_equals_true wrote:
Clinton reminds me of Cristina Kirchner. Someone who only became known becuase of her husband, and pretty corrupt.

I don't know who Cristina Kirchner is. (And I don't feel motivated to google her.)

0_equals_true wrote:
I think the US needs to move out of the political dynasties and take a good look at campaign funding.

The West is becoming more dynastic. Not just you guys, but we have a second generation PM up here too.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 4:42 pm

androbot01 wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

Well, I put it in Women's because I wanted to know how women felt about this, but it has turned a bit political.

It is an inherently political question.

androbot01 wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

Sometimes it's the only way to get in.

I would have to disagree. I mean Thatcher managed it in much more old boys environment. Nowadays, what happens with these quotas, is the women compete with each other as you would expect and most of them eventually leave because they are not radical enough.

Or you get a situation where you get all women committees, and they accuse the token male of "mansplaining".

androbot01 wrote:
I love Merkel.

I love Tracey Ullman

androbot01 wrote:
I don't know who Cristina Kirchner is. (And I don't feel motivated to google her.)

She is the archetypal poplualrist. Why not google her? She is a woman and a former leader.

androbot01 wrote:
The West is becoming more dynastic. Not just you guys, but we have a second generation PM up here too.

I'm not from the US.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 4:58 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
It is an inherently political question.

It would seem so.

0_equals_true wrote:
I would have to disagree. I mean Thatcher managed it in much more old boys environment. Nowadays, what happens with these quotas, is the women compete with each other as you would expect and most of them eventually leave because they are not radical enough.

Or you get a situation where you get all women committees, and they accuse the token male of "mansplaining".

We can't all be Margaret Thatcher; some of us are just average joes trying to get by in life.

0_equals_true wrote:
I love Tracey Ullman

I'll see your Ullman and up you a Hyacinth Bouquet:

0_equals_true wrote:
I'm not from the US.

Ah ... London, England?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

androbot01 wrote:
We can't all be Margaret Thatcher; some of us are just average joes trying to get by in life.

Most of us will never be politicians let alone statespersons. It is not a job for average joes or janes.

androbot01 wrote:
I'll see your Ullman and up you a Hyacinth Bouquet

Touche :)

androbot01 wrote:
Ah ... London, England?

Not Ontario

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 5:23 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Not Ontario

Lol. Cool.

Azureth
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Oct 2016, 5:09 pm

How can any women here be a fan of Angela Merkel? She was raised in a Communist environment and thinks it's a great idea to let thousands of people that come from places that couldn't be anymore anti-women in and has constantly pressured other countries to do the same. Hence, all these attacks on women by migrants. I certainly don't believe for one second she gives a damn about all the women that have been victimised as a result of her actions.

AutieUberAlles

22 Oct 2016, 6:59 pm

I think the charismatic candidate is more of a danger than the bigoted buffoon as Hillary is a sociopath who manages to fool everyone nearly perfectly.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2016, 6:34 am

Spiderpig wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Actually would be shameful for you, as a first world country, if you don't get any female presidents in the coming few decades

You are already behind other nations with 0 record in that.

How would it be shameful? What if it just so happens that all the capable candidates are male?

It can't be a coincidence, something is wrong.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2016, 9:37 am

I don't like either candidate and I felt sick to my stomach filling out my absentee ballot.

It would be awesome to have a woman as President, but God, did it have to be Clinton? There are so many women much more qualified to lead this country.

I'm not just talking about the scandals. Both candidates have them. Something about her just seems "off." And I've discovered over the years that my instincts are usually right.