Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 2:48 pm

I never had bad acne as a teenager. Well, I did get the occasional pimple (including one the day before graduation :lol: ) but not too often. However, over the past month or two, I have been getting horrible acne all over my face and body. The acne in question is bright red and very itchy. I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm really embarrassed by it.

I'm wondering if any of you have experienced the same thing and if so, what did you do to fix it?

(I hope this is in the right section)

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 3:51 pm

I put witchazel on my face every night or so; it helps keep pimples away or clear them up.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2017, 4:07 pm

Go to the doctor.

I really regret not going to see a doctor when I first started developing acne. I was in my early 30s and it was such a drastic change from how I had been before that I left it and left it and left it thinking, "This isn't my usual skin, it will go away soon." It didn't.

It eventually cleared up as a side effect of taking antibiotics for tonsilitis. Well that was the begining of the end. The worst was over with that dose of antibiotics. I've started taking evening primrose oil now too, 1000mg 3 times a day and that seems to be keeping it at bay. I actually started taking the evening primrose oil to deal with cystic breast disease, the reduction of acne is a nice side effect.

I had cystic acne. I still get the occasional cyst on my face or back, but it's no where near as bad as it was.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 11:40 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
I never had bad acne as a teenager. Well, I did get the occasional pimple (including one the day before graduation :lol: ) but not too often. However, over the past month or two, I have been getting horrible acne all over my face and body. The acne in question is bright red and very itchy. I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm really embarrassed by it.

I'm wondering if any of you have experienced the same thing and if so, what did you do to fix it?

(I hope this is in the right section)

This is something you should see a doctor for. Acne can be a symptom of excess testosterone, for example, due to a condition called polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2017, 11:07 am

I had this too - never had acne as a teenager, but then began transition and was covered with it. I mean covered. I looked like I had smallpox. It was due to a sudden and complete hormonal change with the beginning of hormone replacement therapy. Apparently hormonal changes are a common cause of acne, so with adult cis women, it is often due to PCOS or similar. People can even get this at commencement of menopause. They can give you supplementary estrogen to help even out your levels and that should clear it up.
Otherwise, I was on the dreaded isotretinoin for a while which is horrible but does wonders for acne. I use a 5% peroxide wash on my face to keep things under control, and occasionally have to be on an antibiotic like doxycycline if there is a breakout, usually caused by a strain on immune system like cold or flu. If it's severe seeing a dermatologist is a good idea. The amount of times I got misdiagnosed and treated with the wrong medications was insane - one doctor even put me on a steroid pill and cream, which was like throwing gasoline on a fire.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 12:30 pm

Sorry for not getting back to everybody sooner :( It may be caused to a new medication I am on for my PCOS (not birth control). I never really thought about it until the other day, but it seems like the acne started around the same time as I started the medication. I started using a moisturizer and a face wash for sensitive skin, but it has done nothing. I thought it was maybe affected by me trying to wear makeup, but it doesn't seem to be. I'm going to the doctor on Tuesday, so maybe they will have some suggestions too. Thanks everybody :heart:

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2017, 10:12 pm

I'm 40 and still get acne. I tried antibiotics but they didn't work. So my doctor prescribed me a wash for oily skin and Differin acne cream. That has actually worked. I put it on sparingly every night before bed.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 4:53 pm

UPDATE: I saw my doctor the other day and she believes that it isn't acne I have, but rosacea. She prescribed me a face gel. I haven't noticed any results yet, but I think it is too early to tell.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

13 Apr 2017, 7:01 pm

My horrible persisting-into-my-40s acne turned out to be a rash caused by my consumption of gluten. No one else in my family's ever been diagnosed with celiac or related problems, and several doctors over the years assumed it was 'just' acne and prescribed an assortment of harsh prescription creams and washes that of course didn't help at all.