Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 2:26 am

People keep saying that on my wedding day I will have to wear make-up because as a bride I won't "look right" if I don't. Then I tried to imagine a bride without make-up on and annoyingly it did feel weird, but I still feel confused as to why guys can look naturally beautiful but women need make-up and stuff to look beautiful.

It's as though society is saying that all women are born ugly or something. It's not fair. What is it about women being forced to wear make-up at special events?

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 3:03 am

You're right! It is your day and your decision! Dont let anyone try to take that from you! Be how you want to be... You should be feeling 100% comfortable. Not have some niggling thought in the back of your mind that someone had control of a situation that you were forced into... It is YOUR big day, not theirs... Enjoy every minute of it and dont be afraid to do whatever you wish to do! A natural woman is a beautiful woman... If that is what makes YOU happy, then go for it! ;) .. Congratulations! and best wishes for an amazing future and life ;)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:19 am

In the old days, men wore makeup, too.

Unless you want to, just don't wear makeup on your wedding day.

Have you got a wedding date?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 6:51 am

If you don't want to wear makeup on your wedding, don't wear it, and if anyone pressures you and asks why, tell them that's your personal choice and give them a look as if they've grown two noses and they're weird just for asking, lol.

There are lots of women who openly never wear makeup.

If you don't mind things like moisturiser on your face, it can be very enhancing of your natural beauty to just apply a nice, light layer of Olay or some other fairly good quality water-based moisturiser which absorbs well and isn't overly perfumed, gunky or greasy. It helps give your skin it's best natural glow and juicy look. Many women who don't like makeup find a nice, light moisturiser is all they need.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 9:08 am

Joe90 wrote:
People keep saying that on my wedding day I will have to wear make-up because as a bride I won't "look right" if I don't. Then I tried to imagine a bride without make-up on and annoyingly it did feel weird, but I still feel confused as to why guys can look naturally beautiful but women need make-up and stuff to look beautiful.

It's as though society is saying that all women are born ugly or something. It's not fair. What is it about women being forced to wear make-up at special events?

I don't wear it ever, unless I feel like putting some eye liner on. Sure there may be some social pressure but if you just don't wear make up no one can really force it on you. I also don't shave my legs and rarely shave my arm-pits which are also things expected of women.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 9:34 am

I get a lot of pressure to wear makeup from my family, especially my mom. I only will use face moisturizer, I don't even know if it counts as makeup. I would say don't wear any if it makes you feel uncomfortable. If you are uncomfortable, then you won't have as much fun. Congratulations on your wedding by the way! :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

I don't have an exact wedding date yet but we are definitely going to wed. We are engaged. But thanks for caring. :D

Anyway, I just get wound up about the pressure women have on our appearance. If I don't wear make-up as a bride, I will feel weird and unfeminine, even though I'm still annoyed as to why I should feel like this. Anyway, weddings can be an emotional day, and I will most probably get emotional, so I don't think it would help to have mascara run all over my face!

I feel annoyed about women having to shave our legs too, but I've been brainwashed by society to not dare to go out with unshaven legs showing. It would feel as humiliating as going out naked. But I still don't see why women should be made to feel like that though.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 1:50 pm

I agree that it sucks that we are pressured to feel this way. But, you've got a whole community here who feels the same way as you, and I bet a lot of us would also not wear make-up on our wedding day. It's your day, the only thing that matters is how you, and your fiance, feel. So if you don't want to wear make-up, don't. You will still be beautiful, and the day will still be special.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2017, 2:11 pm

I love makeup. I actually want to go to beauty school, when I can afford it. But, it seems like a lot of autistic women are pressured into wearing makeup (being told that it's "normal", etc.) when they don't want to, and that makes me sad. Beauty should be a choice.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 2:45 pm

As a male, I rather prefer women without makeup, though I can understand it as a sort of age-defying cosmetic, as I hate looking old myself. Younger women who know how to apply it can make it look good, but still, most don't really need it, and there's much positive to be said for the natural, fresh-faced "girl-next-door look" (as it was known back in the 60s and 70s).

As for shaving body parts, I wish there was some sort of electronic cabinet, where a human could step in, with just their head sticking out, and have all the hair on their bodies automatically nuked right off. Shaving intimate areas manually is such a chore, and often tricky and painful.

Hair on the head is attractive, I'll never get used to the current trend of men shaving their heads, on 99.9% of them it looks awful. Hair anywhere else is just a nasty animal affectation. We should have evolved beyond that by now.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 3:16 pm

will@rd wrote:

Hair on the head is attractive, I'll never get used to the current trend of men shaving their heads, on 99.9% of them it looks awful. Hair anywhere else is just a nasty animal affectation. We should have evolved beyond that by now.

Hair in some place is actually more hygienic, and can help prevent infections and other problems. There's a reason we haven't evolved beyond that ;)

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2017, 7:40 pm

I don't wear makeup either and I also don't understand why being a woman seems to come with so many requirements. It all seems like such a waste of time and I can't understand how anyone can make themselves spend such ridiculous amounts of time in the bathroom every day fiddling with their hair and makeup.

I think you should do whatever you want to on your wedding and forget everyone else. It's your day and the only thing that is important is your happiness.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 8:28 pm

Joe90 wrote:

You can wear anything you want on your wedding day, and you can also not wear what you don't want on your wedding day.

If you so wished, and your future spouse agreed, you could request everyone wear casual clothes to your wedding.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 11:26 pm

Keladry wrote:
will@rd wrote:

Hair in some place is actually more hygienic, and can help prevent infections and other problems. There's a reason we haven't evolved beyond that ;)

It's only nasty if you don't wash it...but yeah from what I have heard it can be more hygenic to leave hair, shaving can cause little micro-cuts that could cause infection and such.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 10:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the old days, men wore makeup, too.

Unless you want to, just don't wear makeup on your wedding day.

Have you got a wedding date?

Men, were first to wear high heels when it first came into fashion. Do what makes you happy Joe.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 1:44 am

will@rd wrote:
As a male, I rather prefer women without makeup, though I can understand it as a sort of age-defying cosmetic, as I hate looking old myself. Younger women who know how to apply it can make it look good, but still, most don't really need it, and there's much positive to be said for the natural, fresh-faced "girl-next-door look" (as it was known back in the 60s and 70s).

As for shaving body parts, I wish there was some sort of electronic cabinet, where a human could step in, with just their head sticking out, and have all the hair on their bodies automatically nuked right off. Shaving intimate areas manually is such a chore, and often tricky and painful.

In the U.S. most men who shave their heads do so because they are going bald. As for body hair, if you really want to get rid of it you can have it lasered. It's expensive but it won'y grow back.