Page 8 of 13 [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

questor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 4:02 pm

No, I never developed a taste for putting stuff on my face. I don't even like the feel of moisturizers on my face, but will use it on rare occasions, when I feel it's necessary. I also don't want to spend the time, the effort, and the money on it. Also, all the face paint in the world won't make me look good, it would only make me look kind of clownish. I'd rather look a little odd just for having a naked face, than look clownish. I also tend to be skin sensitive to lots of things.

I do have to put creams on my lower legs, but that's to deal with a medical problem caused by poor circulation. It causes my skin down there to dry out, crack, itch, get sore and inflamed, and occasionally I get sores there that get infected. Some of the creams are prescription ones, and I have to take a break from them sometimes, and use industrial strength over the counter ones for a while instead. I will also sometimes put menthol medicated lotions there, as the menthol helps ease the pain and itching, and the moisturizers it's mixed with also help some, but not as much as the industrial strength and prescription ones.

I will sometimes use moisturizers on my hands because they sometimes get way too dry, and start to crack, and hurt then.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 12:26 pm

There seems to be a social pressure for women and makeup. My two other cousins (both my age) wear makeup while I don't, and sometimes I feel like I'm the unattractive one because of it. But my mum said that I'm no less attractive than they are but they're more ''attractive'' because they know how to put all their makeup on. So basically women have to wear makeup to look more attractive. It's like saying that all women are ugly compared to men and we have to wear makeup to make us all beautiful.

It's not fair being a woman.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 2:18 pm

I've never bowed to social pressure. I don't wear makeup, don't wear dresses or skirts, never wanted children, marriage or even a boyfriend (or girlfriend for that matter). I am fine with that. I wasn't put into this world to please others.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 5:16 pm

Not really. Sometimes, I will use some of that face cream stuff that has sunscreen in it and I'll use Chapstick on my lips if they are feeling dry but I don't wear anything on my eyes. Every time I've tried eye makeup, I end up getting infections so I don't try to. I like to keep my grooming routine as simple as possible so I don't mind it.

My Tumblr

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2020, 5:47 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
I've never bowed to social pressure. I don't wear makeup, don't wear dresses or skirts, never wanted children, marriage or even a boyfriend (or girlfriend for that matter). I am fine with that. I wasn't put into this world to please others.

Cool, except...
I must say that many (maybe most?) of the people who do wear it, don't do it to please others.

E.G. I am wearing some right now and have nobody to see, i just like it and always have. Colours and brushes and things.

I often don't wear it all day but in the evening, when I can relax I do it, however much or little, though I have to wash it off anyway before bed.

When I was little I regularly used actual clown paint to make a clown face on myself and did that for fun, that wasn't to impress others either. Or drew flowers or something over half my face.

Often it angers others, particularly if you grew up with a dead-on tomboy and strict mom like mine who doesn't understand.
If you're into art, you might get it, except it's colours and textures that you can wash off more easily than on canvas...
more convenient.

The way ASD is often thought of in stereotypes like 'obsessed with trains' etc, it can also manifest here.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 11:17 am

I don't really like wearing makeup or the hassle of putting it on, but I like the way it looks, so I wear it when I go to work or when I'm just out and about sometimes.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 11:51 am

I actually think a lady on youtube, who became famous years ago - Lauren Luke or Panacea81 - is a real autistic person whose special interest and talent happened to be makeup. From everything she said in interviews and about her childhood and everything else...

She even has seizures like my son and many AsD people do hers are 'partial' which he also gets.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm

think it has become necessary evil in modern society ...lolz dating back to the time of the egyptians.
So yes makeup can be a good thing... sometimes just a nusiance , if your running late.

where ever you go ,there you are

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 12:58 pm

Of course, wearing makeup doesn't mean you're doing it just to please others. What I actually mean is that I don't care how much pressure society puts on women to look pretty and feminine, I will continue to look how I want to. Especially as I'm not pretty anyway.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 2:12 pm

That is like my ( ASD also ) mom... She says the same...
She and u are right... Im sure most ppl respect that.

You dont go around wiping off their paint so why should u apply just because of the ads and pressure and moronic makeover shows (they really stopped being positive long ago-- positive like for eg cancer survivor feeling better with being pampered-- and are blatantly rude and exploitative and cruel)

It was considered wrong by western society before (makeup or overt sexualization)... Things changed after world wars...
Plus industrialization made it easy to mass produce items

Then exploiting wishes and insecurites 'hope in a jar'' marketing

People didn't stick to the fun n innocent portion wd mean less sales since one can make do with fewer items....
My mom is an extreme tomboy ... Is the only word i can think of but not truly accurate... But beautiful person as you are too im sure...
Smarter than me for sure...
Felt good today for putting back unnecessary items of it because i have whatever i need and more .
When the fun turns into an unhealthy high from simply accumulating more thats wrong actually... Considering world's state ... The packaging alone is horrible for our environment..

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 2:20 pm

Its interesting how the technological advances that were necessary for war (eg bullet making mass production of weaponry)..

. Those were simultaneously used for make up manufacturing...

War fueled that ...
Then it dwindled as all materials were needed for war

.. So it became rationed... Became a symbol of 'keeping up ones hopes' ... Governments encouraged it too to keep up morale...

Considered a civilian duty then....

After war being attractive to men was the new duty... As they were shell shocked n traumatized the ladies were determined to take them away from that horror .

not to mention the ladies too were enveloped in emotional turmoil with brothers husbands sons gone or returning traumatized or dead or injures or having participated themselves in some way directly..
Children missing out on family life etc. Plus the austerity period was traumatizing..

So marketing took advantage of the renewed vigour for life, and people's determination for moving on, by pushing for buying more more more... Ever afterwards

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2020, 2:23 pm

I don't wear any at all when I'm alone at home (98% of my life).

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2020, 12:51 pm

Blooiejagwa, you talk a lot of sense.

Cavycat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Feb 2020, 11:34 pm

I've only ever worn it for a business casual retail job (eyeshadow and lipgloss). I'm more interested in it as an art (matching my outfits), but am on the market for concealer as it deters me from picking at facial scabs. Only rarely do I actually wear anything more than lip balm, though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 11:43 pm

MamaFrankie5259 wrote:
Of course, wearing makeup doesn't mean you're doing it just to please others. What I actually mean is that I don't care how much pressure society puts on women to look pretty and feminine, I will continue to look how I want to. Especially as I'm not pretty anyway.

That is a good point, like it goes both way if you want to respect women than respect their right to choose what to do with their body. I don't like to wear make up, and certainly don't feel I should have to but I should also respect if other women prefer to wear make up. I mean I guess I notice it as a problem with some people who claim to be feminist, they say that and then look down on other women who don't make the same decisions they do. I think the point is you should be able to choose not have one way or another shoved down your throat. Some people though seem to kinda miss the point

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2020, 11:00 am

Exactly, Sweetleaf. The wearing (or not) of makeup is individual choice and the woman's business only.